Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ski Nautique 200 bunk question

bobbulferbobbulfer Posts: 38 Baller
I have a Vibo vertical lift with full length bunks. The distance between the front and rear cross bars on the cradle part of my lift is 11ft 3". The problem is that the front of the bunks will rest on the spray chime under the boat. I'm afraid this could crack this fiberglass chime over time. If I put the bunks really narrow to go inside this chime then I believe the bunks will smash the water pick up screen under the boat. This narrowest I can get the bunks in the front and widest in the back is in the picture. The two options I can come up with are taking off the full length bunks and just putting some 6 inch carpeted 2x6 boards on each riser off the cradle or attaching a 10 ft carpeted 2x6 to the top of the bunk. I would position this board on top of the existing bunks to stop a few inches prior to the spray chime. This way that chime would not be resting on the bunk because the boat should be high enough to clear. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

to clear it.

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 939 Crazy Baller
    Cut it. Cross brace it and make two separate bunks like your trailer setup. Gonna be worth the time and not possibly damage your boat trying to rig it another way.
    Kdinger838
  • bobbulferbobbulfer Posts: 38 Baller
    @bigskieridaho The span is 11ft 3 inches front to back on my cradle and it appears I can only have about a 10 ft span of bunks to have the rear cross bar stay far enough in front of the prop and still come up short of the chimes on front of hull. Do you have any pictures of this done. Not really sure how I would make that work.
  • Kdinger838Kdinger838 Posts: 57 Baller
    Do it right the first time like @bigskieridaho said and you won't have to worry every time you put the boat in!
    dvskier
    @bobbulfer No crossbar at the back. I am talking one in the center with vertical supports to hold the bunks. Use one set of verticals for the back section of bunk and adjust the fronts to look like your trailer and add supports for that as well. I can try and draw a picture or something if you would like
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,013 Mega Baller
    The chines/hull are a lot stronger than you might think. I don't think the boat will give a damn about being supported by parallel bunks like that.
  • bobbulferbobbulfer Posts: 38 Baller
    @bigskieridaho I think I know what your talking about, but I would need to add another cross bar about 14" in front of my front most cross bar to hold the front of the front bunks. This is because the total distance of the bunks or double bunks can only be about 10 ft and my bars are over 11ft front to back. Would you get more aluminum tubing to make these cross bars and if so how would I attach them? Sorry if I'm not understanding what your telling me.
    I'm also considering attaching carpeted 2x6s (2 high) on top of my existing aluminum bunks. I could use 8 boards 4-5ft in length and angle the front ones to fit the v of the hull while leaving the back ones flatter to fit the hull in the rear. I figure this will raise the boat off of the aluminum bunks enough to clear the chime in the front of the hull off of the aluminum bunk.
  • RivvyRivvy Posts: 143 Baller
    I have exact same questions you have on setup. I'm going to try and set mine up Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. I have a 2010 200 and a Vibo cantilever lift with back cutout. I'm not convinced we need to modify bunks to make it work. There are a lot of 200's out there and yet to see a custom cradle / lift with a stepped bunk system. i'm going to start with bunks 3' parallel and cheat in front until I am happy with the way bow is sitting.
  • WayneWayne Posts: 488 Solid Baller
    Would spacing the bunks wider place them on a better place on the hull? If you get taller risers to move the bunks higher abive the cross bars this might be easier then cutting and splicing a bunch of stuff.
    @bobbulfer I will try and draw a pic of my idea when I get a chance.