Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trailer jack. Up or down?

TdubTdub Posts: 256 Baller
Here is the question of the ages. It seems like I go through a trailer jack about every two years. It becomes hard to crank and sounds like the gears are shot. We trailer the boat to our site about 5 times per week. Some friends say lower the jack to keep the pressure off of the gears, others say keep it all the way up when it is back in the garage. There is no place on the trailer jack for grease so that is not the answer. I even tried to take all the pressure off of the jack and placed the trailer tongue on a block every time. That is a pain. Any thoughts?

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,497 Mega Baller
    edited April 2017
    Sounds like you need a better trailer jack. No way that the miniscule tongue weight of a comp ski boat should be wearing out jacks. Consider upgrading to a better class of jack - Fulton F2 single wheel is a good one, used by a lot of the major mfg for boats heavier than yours.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Fulton/F1413140334.html
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    MattPBill22sixball
  • Fast351Fast351 Posts: 207 Baller
    Most trailer jacks may not have a grease zerk, but you should grease the crank gears. All mine have always had a removable cap on the top and you'll see the gears inside. Just slather some grease on there.
    Mike van Meeteren
    wtrskiorWish
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,212 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    My trailer jack is the original that came with my 1993 M/C trailer...still works fine. I only add a little marine grease on the shaft every few years.
    Tdub
  • TdubTdub Posts: 256 Baller
    It is a 2004 SN 196. I'll try adding a little grease and see if that helps. The jack is a Dutton - Liaison. Thanks to all. Course goes in Friday.
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 921 Crazy Baller
    Tongue weight should be 7-10% total trailer/boat weight.
    Tdub
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    edited April 2017
    You should be able to find a brake down of the jack online. You can take them apart and grease them. If the Jack is too corroded up to get it apart, like mine, try spraying lube down inside the jack and see if it doesn't loosen up. This has gotten me by for a few years but I've got a Fulton F2 mention above I plan to put on mine soon.
    Tdub