Best approach for improvement

Buoyhead69Buoyhead69 Posts: 79 Baller
I will have limited time on the course this year thanks to our new baby boy so here's my game plan; feedback will be appreciated. My PR is 2 balls at 28' off, 34.2mph. I've skied 3 times this year & I'm jumping right into the water at that speed & line length, no warm up, no running all 6 at slower speeds/longer lines. I'm focusing on fundamental form/technique, good gate, proper pull & body position. And... not being stupid & getting hurt. I got a couple good looks at 3 ball yesterday but didn't feel wide enough & I don't want to ski over the ball, turn an ankle or whatever. I will add, to me this is not boring. My goal is to run 28' off at tournament speed & I don't logically see how skiing slower speeds/longer lines will prepare me for the chaos (for me at least, I'm still a bit of a rookie) that occurs at 34.2mph 28' off. Again, I'll have a lot less time on the water than last summer so the "warm up runs" are also a time suck. We have a 2 year old little guy too & I'm looking forward to the days when skiing will make me a great dad instead of a tad bit selfish lol.

Comments

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,919 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2017
    For me a Rookie move, should run a couple of 22off
    #1 To loosen off the muscles and let some of that muscle memory have a chance.
    #2 You may end up running your 28off, but is it just going to feel rushed and out of control.
    #3 Thinking you do not want to be stupid and get hurt, tells me that you are already skiing defensively, this will stop you skiing your best.
    #4 Good position and technique comes from running passes, bulids ski fitness, less chance of crashing.
    #5 Don,t bury your head in the sand, preparation is the key to the next pass

"Getting Harder/Getting Positive”

• ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 946 Mega Baller
    Do you run 22 off clean and early 95% of the time or more? You'll be building the technique to run your next pass at the current pass you can run easily. I think you're in for a very frustrating season with the approach you suggest. At least slow the boat down and work up the speed if you decide to work only at 28 off.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    MattPOnside135wtrskior
  • Buoyhead69Buoyhead69 Posts: 79 Baller
    Thanks so much, Razor where should I stop pulling? Yesterday I did notice my smoothest passes were where I pulled hard at the ball, stopped pulling as I approached the 1st wake & let the ski edge do the rest of the work.
    RazorRoss3
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    edited May 2017
    To start, I ski 36 so my timing is going to be slightly different but I do open at -22 and spend a good amount of time at -28 for training reasons.

What you are doing sounds correct, the key is to continue to execute on body position and handle control from wake out to buoy after executing well from buoy to wake.

First thing, this all starts from the gate still, it is much harder to execute pull/edge change timing if you don't start from width at the gate. Second, be in a good pulling position (stacked, shoulders open, handle under control, etc). With that in mind, you should target your edge change to be somewhere between the CL and the second white wash. If you are starting from width and are in a good pulling position all you should need to do is to get into a strong pull from width and try to maintain that all the way to the wakes and then somewhere between the center line and second white wash start letting yourself come up. So in order to maintain your position from buoy to wake you will be putting in progressively more effort as you approach the wakes because the boat is applying more direct power on you as you get more directly behind it. Then as you edge change you progressively begin to lighten up. So the ski can edge change but you still want to be applying tension to the line by keeping your handle close to your body. The point of edge change and the point of release are not the same. Edge change will happen between the wakes and second wash but you'll exert tension on the line with two hands all the way out to buoy width. Again, this all starts with and is possible because you started with a lot of width at the gate (you should be able to look down the 2,4,6 buoy line and see that you are wider than the buoy line) and good body/pulling position. Narrow gate and you can't build the speed, bad pulling position and you can't maintain your connection to the handle at the centerline.
    Buoyhead69Obrienslalom
    edited May 2017
    If you get a chance some video on here could go a long way, you'll get more feedback than you could ever process but there will be some recurring themes that everyone will notice that will be good to work on and if you're lucky a few shortliners might drop some gems for you.
    Ok. Yes, incredibly helpful thank you. I meant to add that I noticed when I approached the gate outside 2,4,6 I had pretty good passes but when only even with 2,4,6 I was dead meat. I used a one handed gate a couple times & kinda liked it. Do you use a one handed gate?
    RazorRoss3
    I use a two handed gate personally. My thought is that it is entirely personal preference and the only trick either way is that you achieve width, are able to carry width, and are able to maintain line tension while at width so you can turn into a tight line for your gate. What I try to do is make sure I have my handle down and controlled before my pullout, pull out with it under control and then try to maintain down pressure on it to keep tension once I'm at width. If you can turn in from width with a tight line then I don't think it will matter very much 1 hand or 2.
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 412 Crazy Baller
    Ditto to what @Bruce_Butterfield said...
    As much as you might not like opening at 32mph 15 it is likely the best move. I wouldn't spend two passes there but I would certainly spend 2+ passes at 34mph 15 and 22. And the comment about 2,4,6 vs line angle @Bruce_Butterfield is right that you should be trying to be well wide of that line.
    Buoyhead69
    Extremely helpful, incredible, thanks so much. Gotta get way wider on my gate for sure. I think what I like about going 34.2 28 off is it forces me to be 100% on my game, I can't "get away with anything." I look at video of me running 6 at 34 22 off & wonder how the heck I even ran it... I can come a little late into 4 ball (my nemesis) then pull hard & hook 5 & muscle through 6. I actually look better at 28' off because I focus 100% on handle & body position. Then again, I'm only getting 2 balls...
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,324 Crazy Baller
    Let me give you a reference as applies to me. I'm old , so my top speed is 32. At mid season my opener is 32-28off. I run 35 maybe a dozen times per season, but I don't like 22 off. When I start out in the Spring I go 32/22 off. I'll run that probably 30 times before I add -28. Then a set looks like this, 22x4 and 28x2. I'll go 3-4 ski days like that. Next ski set it's 22x2 and 28x4. This will go for 3-4 ski days. Then I'll go to 22x1, 28x3, and add a 32. Soon I'll drop 22 to devote more time at 28 and 32. After 32 is about 80% I'll start making shots at 35. All this is based on being able to ski regularly without any extended layoffs. This is just me, others probably have a better plan. Bottom line as @Bruce_Butterfield said, starting out at the beginning of the season working at a pass you have never run is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer until it starts feeling good. Frustration to the max with little chance of improvement. Ok, I said a lot and the last sentence would have been enough.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    RazorRoss3wtrskiorBruce_Butterfield
    Yeah, I definitely understand liking the "feel" of 28 and there is no question the jump from 22-28 is way different than the jump from 15-22 but trust me (us) if you can force yourself to focus and do things right at 22 it will pay off at 28. Trust me, compare a 22 to a 35 sometime and 22 feels like a whole lot of rope and in slo-mo and it's easy to do something like give up the handle early or not keep your head and shoulders up. And then guess what, a 35 off skier just fell on his opener. If you can force yourself to stay engaged at 22 then the good stuff will be second nature at 28.
    Buoyhead69Kdinger838wtrskior
    Really really appreciate It guys, Razor you're the man. Very helpful stuff about handle pressure from wake to buoy, thanks bro.
    RazorRoss3
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 909 Mega Baller
    edited May 2017
    @Buoyhead69 you can make 3 major mistakes and still run 28. There is a lot of meat on the bone at that line length particularly if you have a nice high/wide gate.
    Happy to lend what I've learned, good luck this season!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file