Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Approaching Property Owners to Use Their Water... Any Success?

There is a nice reservoir in our area, about 2100 ft long by 300 ft wide. Seems like the perfect setup for a certain hobby of mine...

Water ownership is shared between about 10 different properties, half with homes (no docks), half just empty, wooded land. Anyone have any experience approaching property owners about selling and/or using their water for skiing? Obviously a very complicated situation with about a .001% chance of success but wondering if it has ever been done and how. Thanks!

Comments

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,186 Crazy Baller
    There was a lake about 45 mins from where I live that a group of skiers did just this. Skied there for a number of years, but eventually the owner just got sick of it and kicked them out... it did give about 11-12 skiers a place to ski for a number of years though
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,785 Mega Baller
    I've done this with single owner lakes. My initial recommendation is to start with a letter versus contacting them in person. That provides them time to consider your well-worded request in private without being pressured or surprised. Follow-up in person after no response. I have some sample letters I have used.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • jedgelljedgell Posts: 352 Baller
    @MISkier - could you send me one of your sample letters. I'm trying to do the same thing, but haven't contacted the owners yet.
    [email protected]

thanks,
    Justin Edgell - Bozeman, MT
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,785 Mega Baller
    @jedgell, I will send it later tonight, when I am at my home computer.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • OSUwaterskierOSUwaterskier Posts: 73 Baller
    Thanks @MISkier, if you wouldnt mind sending my way as well, that would be great!