2016 HO VTR

bananaronbananaron Posts: 522 Crazy Baller
I see some ballers are skiing this ski.Any comments as to how it compares to other skis and past HO skis.I have a chance to pick one up and am wondering if I should try it.
Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota

Comments

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,649 Mega Baller
    edited June 2017
    I love it. Have 20 sets on my 67". Just ordered a 68". My like new 67 is available.
    I love it. Have about 20 sets on my 67" and just ordered a 68". The like new 67 is available.
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,191 Crazy Baller
    When I was skiing well on it it was an amazing ski. Tip stayed down through the turn, carried speed through the turn, fast ski. That said, it was never a stable ski for me out of the turn, I was never sure what it was going to do. Ran a PB of [email protected] on it (previous PB was [email protected], so a full 2 buoys is a lot), but I ended up going back to my V type because I knew I could come out of a turn in all kinds of messed up form and I could still get out of the ball and to the next buoy early. If I could have gotten the ski to preform at 32 and 35 the way it preformed at 28 it easily would have been my favorite ski ever. Tip if you do go with it- do NOT move the bindings forward. I tried it and blew the tail out every pass. Talked to a few other guys on it and they all experienced the same thing, moved bindings back to stock and it was a whole new ski.
    I have the front boot a 16th back from stock and it feels great. Micro adjustments are a nice feature on the XMax direct connect. HO's recommended fin, and wing at 8'. Feels great. I'm moving to a 68" for a little more support as I'm skiing more 32mph passes now.
    edited June 2017
    I found the V-type R easier to ski on than the V-Type. Just plain felt easier not much input required. Prior to those HO's I was on a Phantom, VTX ('94), and Extreme Limited 9.8. It's hard to compare to those older skis.
    Another guy at our place went from a CDX to a Monza to the Superlite TX when he went down to 30mph. Picked up a full pass and gets into -35 most days.
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,191 Crazy Baller
    @ALPJr I agree it is an easier ski to ride, but it just didn't match my style. I like to pull a little harder than I should and a lot of the times I felt like I couldn't get rid of the speed I generated on the VTR. Im most comfortable working hard to run a hard pass, my passes weren't as pretty on the V type but my hardest passes were more consistent
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    Well I am on a V Type and man does it like to get slammed around. When it turns it turns..... taking some getting used to, but I am starting to really like it. Can get sloppy and the thing gets you out of a jam. I came from a senate so a drastic difference. Definitely get the best of the S2 and A3 with more rocker on that one.
    edited June 2017
    Unwrapped the 68" today.

Kdinger838bigskieridahosavaiusinisunnydaysmn