Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Good Old Boy's

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,083 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
The Good Old Boy's I applaud them, they are the true survivors of a sport that can be brutal on the body, there is a lot of good skiers out there, who are 60years + so who are they ?

Ed Hickey, still runs 39 off @ 34mph every time he skis, which is most days of the week.

If Only I Was Perfect

Texas6

Comments

• auskierauskier Posts: 456 Baller
    chet, lapoint brothers, Bruce Dodd.. certainly a fair number can run into 41.
    Harald Hintringer while not 60 yet can take down 39 better than most and often gets deep down 41.
    Toby
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,099 Mega Baller
    edited June 2017
    Lots of greats! I think anyone water skiing at 60 or better is doing pretty darn good. I ski with a men 8 skier who regularly gets into -38 @ 30mph.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    @Sethro - Damn. That's amazing. At 44 I usually need a day off after 3-4 days I'm a row of hard skiing. Inspiration
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • oldmanskieroldmanskier Posts: 149 Baller
    George Levien is one of my favorite 60 year old plus skiers:
    If you ever go to Chet's and George is there try to watch George ski from the boat.
    I usually go to Chet's in June every year and one of the highlights of my trip is getting to be around George, listen to his stories and watch him ski.
    I have seen him run multiple 38's from the boat and his skiing commentary at each end of the lake can be quite entertaining. George also gives so much back to the sport as a tournament safety director as well as working other tournament tasks. Thanks George for all you do for the sport of waterskiing.
    Oldmanskier
    MichaelGoodmanski6jonesballsohard
  • CBR51CBR51 Posts: 99 Baller
    I don't hear too much talk about Steve Raphael. Not too sure why? I haven't seen him ski, but looking at his scores, he seems like a fantastic skier not only for his age ( which must be pushing 70?) or for any age for that matter.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,536 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Steve is 68 and ran [email protected] twice this weekend at Cedar Ridge.
    Chet is amazing and will be running 39 when he is in his 70s
    Shut up and ski
    Mrs_MSski6jones
  • oldmanskieroldmanskier Posts: 149 Baller
    I have watched Steve (Mongo) ski at Chet's in the past. For a big guy he skies light on his feet. But if he gets behind in the course he can hang on to some tough stuff. I have never seen a pylon move as much as when Steve pulls on it. Steve also is entertaining at each end of the lake on comments about his skiing. Chet also gave Steve (Mongo) a wrestling lesson one time. Mongo tells the story well.
    As for Chet (not 60 yet but getting close) I think he is an alien from a Water Ski planet. He is in one of the most focused skiers mentally and physically I have ever watched ski.
    If you go to Chet's place be sure to ride in the boat and watch him ski. I am headed to Chet's June 20 and really looking forward to a great week of skiing and watching skiing.
    oldmanskier.
    ballsohard
  • customskicustomski Posts: 91 Baller

Buddy, about to hop in, 80 years old, still skis into 32 and my favourite coach in the boat, not the most patient coach but he gets results and notices things and implements change that others don't see. A little cold in our Aussie winter for him but always there to drive and coach.
    9400DaveDBobFCent
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    If I can still get up on a ski at 81, I'll be stoked. Let along go over a jump or ski into 32 off - jeez that's impressive
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,803 Administrator
    don't forget @MS
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Texas6thager
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,098 Mega Baller
    Eastern Region's John Autore, 72 gets into 39.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,536 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Horton I am not that old. Yet
    Shut up and ski
    Horton
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,098 Mega Baller
    Amazing that there are 7 skiers in their upper 80's still competing in the hexadecimal MB division. I planning on making it to at least MC.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    ski6jonesThan_Bogan
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,099 Mega Baller
    One of my ski buds is 74 and gets into 38
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    I guess this just proves there is still time and hope for me yet.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,228 Mega Baller
    My old partner Ted McColley just ran [email protected] in Ohio M6, new record. I think he is 4 years older than me, so 62. Runs 38 all the time. Skinny dude.
    Tdub
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,328 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So older dudes kick my butt as do some young girls...pretty soon you're gonna dig up old women that do!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,847 Mega Baller
    Do what?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • BongoBongo Posts: 42 Baller
    @Sethro - I had a brief conversation with Orange Bruce here in Minnesota today, the day before Midwest Regionals, and it just made me smile. The guy can ski well - has a great sense of humor - and serves as an inspiration to those of us younger to keep pushing on.

Hell of a jumper. When he skis, most watch and more cheer.

Bongo
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 273 Crazy Baller
    Bruce Kunde's jump at Nationals last year was the highlight of the entire event. That includes open men slalom and jump. He is a bad ass.
  • SethroSethro Posts: 281 Solid Baller
    I've often said Bruce's personality is even better than his skiing. We sure have a lot of fun!