Clamps, fins and wings

skialexskialex Posts: 1,279 Mega Baller
Hi Ballers, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend. for the past three to four years he builds his own skis in Cyprus, so far I have given him 7 fin sets and he has purchase some more from a ski dealer in Greece. Now after building few tenths of skis (mostly prototypes) he is looking for a source to buy fin boxes, fins and wings.
If anyone could help with a contact please PM me or post it here and I will pass it to him.
Thanks,
Alex,
here are some pics of some of the skis he makes.

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,525 Administrator
    Local Machine shop is the answer

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

• skialexskialex Posts: 1,279 Mega Baller
    Maybe you are right but for the amount he needs now it could be more expensive than paying retail at a ski dealer.
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 1,025 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Unless he's building quite a few skis, the local machine shop will cost much much more and be a much bigger pain than just buying them from a company like Radar or HO. He should talk to the Greece distributor.
    skialexThan_Boganaupatking
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 1,025 Open or Level 9 Skier
    edited June 2017
    -
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 4,001 Infinite Pandas
    I laid up my own carbon fins (an experiment that worked well). It's pretty straight forward for someone building skis. As is cutting out an aluminum fin from aircraft aluminum. Even making a simple fin clamp out of angle aluminum isn't difficult. All you need are basic tools: jigsaw, drill press, bench grinder, taps and sandpaper.

I haven't made wings yet - I still have a couple floating around. I like the huge ones and have not found the raw materials extrusion to make that.

Factory stuff is very high quality, standard, pretty and reasonably priced. Of course, so are the skis. Why is he building skis? I hope he doesn't suffer from the same mental illness as me.

Eric
    skialex
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,026 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Kudos to him for his passion and drive to experiment! Cord is right, contact one of the big ski companies and order a dozen or more fins and clamps will be the easiest path.

Hopefully no one suffers from the same mental illness as @eleeski
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    eleeskiMattPskialex
    @eleeski @Bruce_Butterfield I think he does suffer from the same illness, he has spend so much in materials the past few years that he could have bought a well maintained ZO boat instead.
    I'm a lighter version, I repair, maintain and adjust ski equipment at a small profit that goes straight to my ski sets! During off season I work on ideas and buy tools, repair materials and staff for my projects.
    Back to my friend, his end product is spotless and last summer an other friend rode one of his prototypes [email protected] (but he can do that on most skis). He does hope that one day he will start selling his skis, personally I do not know how this could be profitable but I like it a lot when people try things and push the sport forward.
    What he wants from me as a baller is if I can find him a contact among ballers maybe in a ski company to purchase fin hardware directly.
    Thanks!
    Alex.
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    wiley's watersports right here in south seattle sells just about everything ski related. they also provide components for a number of different bindings and they are a few blocks away from a machine shop that punches out aluminum parts for them and other companies. if anyone can get you hooked up for metal ski parts it would be wiley's.

https://www.wileyski.com/about-us/ -ask for darren (206) 762 -1300
    aupatkingskialex
    Thank you @mwetskier I will pass the info to my friend's wife to contact Darren. I think his English is not that good but his wife's is. This must be the reason that he is not a Baller and why I posted this on his behalf.
    Thanks again!