Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New ski for wife

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,968 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited June 2010 in Skis Fins Bindings
I'm looking for a new ski for my wife. She is 110 lbs and currently on a 63/64" (not sure of the size but it is too small) D3 Custom X which I bought for her when I thought she would be skiing at 34 mph. She is still skiing at 28 and 30 working on 32 mph. What size/model of D3 ski would you recommend? THANKS

- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- Owner at Still Water Lake Estates

Comments

• bmiller3536bmiller3536 Posts: 298 Baller
    I got my girlfriend a D3 X5 Pro Rose and she loves it. She runs through 28' off and she is on a 65". Her opening pass is -15' @ 32 so that size should be good for your wife. She loves the ski ( I think mostly because it is pink)
    Brad Miller
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,534 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    It really depends on the wife. If she is cute and nice you can probably get a really good ski for her. If she's a dog, a beat up Cypress Gardens is all you can trade her for.

No wonder I'm always on probation...

Eric
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,870
    I might look at a 65 Senate or Senate C if I were you. That is a great ski for a woman in the speed range you are talking about. 
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,160 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    64" z7 would work well
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,968 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks ShaneH, d bmiller, and Eric???  I do have a 65" Strada55 that she is going to try later this week when I get the adapter plate for her D3 bindings. To me the Strada55 looks like similar surface area dimensions as the Senate-C only with the lighter PVC core. Is that right Eddie?
  • Aarons01Aarons01 Posts: 21
    If you posted pictures it would help us make a decision
  • Old MS AccoutOld MS Accout Posts: 2,117 Baller
    I just got my wife off of a 65.5 9700 and put her on a 65 Z7ST. She loves it.

She runs 15off at 32 mph and gets close to running 34 on a good day. She is much smoother on the Z7.

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,973 Mega Baller
    From SilverStrada

I'd recommend a Radar Lyric, with the matching boots, that way she'll be looking cute !
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • MAD11MAD11 Posts: 577 Crazy Baller
    Scot,

We moved my Daughter who is 5'3", 110lbs  from a D3 RCX to a new 65" Strada. She rips on the thing and can't believe how much less she has to work.  We have had 5 other D3 skiers test the Strada head to head with their Z7's and the conversion rate is 4 out of 5 went to the Strada for good. Wasn't with the one who didn't change when testing and fin was way off when I got my ski back. The switch has also been about the same ratio for Goode's too. I think that has been 3 out of 4. Elite's retired has been 2.  Ski works great, no question. Radar support is awesome, people are quality. Can't go wrong with any of the choices. 

Marc
  • Jean BJean B Posts: 83 New Baller
    edited June 2010
    From random
  • Jean BJean B Posts: 83 New Baller
    Ski like a girl, get a D3 Rose. This picture was taken at Ski Sun Set Ranch May 2010. The ski to the very right belongs to Kelli Kosney. She is the #1 ranked Western Region W2 skier. The other skis belong to skiers, skiing 28mph to 34mph-22. All skis are 65s and wt of skiers range from between 110 - 135lbs.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,739 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Paul talked me into buying a X5 Rose for the wife. She rode it for a season but really hated it. As a former open jumper pink was little whimpy for her. She went to an RCX and is now on a Z7. In retrospect I believe the Rose was way to soft for her.

I do agree with Marc about the effort level being much less on the Strada. It is a very fast (or low effort as Horton likes to say) ski. My wife is a Kidder product skier from way back. I don't know if she will ever change, but I do remember that she felt the Z7 was faster than the RCX which felt much faster than the Rose. Maybe I will put her on my Strada for a set next week!. 

• robscholl-OFrobscholl-OF Posts: 285 Baller
    Scot,

I was a Kidder/D3 skier forever.  I tried a bunch of different skis and never found anything that skied like my Kidder/D3 skis.  I finally was convinced to get on a Radar Senate C, felt at home on it immediately.  I then was convinced to get on the Strada and totally groove on that ski.  Have her at least try the Strada, she may surprise herself......OF 
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,968 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks for all of the info guys. I'm thinking a 65" Strada or Z7ST to start then work backwards if she does not like the latest and greatest. 

• I have a 65 in Z7 that is a nice carving ski and very friendly, would work well for her especially longer line lengths.

chris

[email protected]

865-755-5588
  • TJOTJO Posts: 11 Baller
    Scot,

I purchased a 65" 2008 Senate-C for Holly a few weeks ago.  She is still trying to get used to the bindings (rails) but I think she likes the ski overall.  Her skiing is looking much better than when she was on her old ski.  Anyway, Kelly is welcome to borrow if it you'd like to try before you buy.  Let me know. 

Travis
  • MAD11MAD11 Posts: 577 Crazy Baller

We started my daughter on the 63.5" Rose because it was her favorite color. Then moved shorter actually to a 62" RCX, which believe or not she thought was much less effort then the longer Rose. Then to the Strada and her effort went way down with a better result. Obviously I know she is getting bigger and stronger, but the effort level reduction was instant from the first ride. Also added a few passes to each set since she wasn't working so hard. Both good companies. Hard to make a mistake. Depends on your style.

Marc
  • scokescoke Posts: 617
    edited June 2010

I keep seeing this thread title. Thinking that someone is willing to trade their wife for a new ski? post pics of wife!

Thinking I should start another one titled:

"new wife for ski
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,739 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    HaHa!!! I was actually joking with Lynda the other day about the search for the perfect ski and how it is good I am not the same with the wife. (My bruises hardly show anymore)
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,870
    The only thing I change more than skis, is my women. :)
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Thomas WayneThomas Wayne Posts: 550 New Baller
    "The only thing I change more than skis, is my women."

If you have to "change" your women they're either way too young or way too old.

TW
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,160 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Or just women!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • DWDW Posts: 1,827 Crazy Baller
    "The only thing I change more than skis, is my women."

I think you have that reversed, women always change their man! (an unchangeable fact of life:)
  • ironmanironman Posts: 11
    My wife is skiing on a D3 Pro Rose 65" and loves it. She was on a Monza. She is starting at 30 mph 15 off and getting deep into 34 @ 15