Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have this happen? Prop help

Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 314 Crazy Baller
Driving home the other day and a blade fell off my prop. Didn't hit anything but looks like a fracture had been growing. Crazy loud and shook like crazy. Fortunately I was close and could limp back in. No damage to the hull.

I have a 2006 Mastercraft tournament team boat with the 1.26:1 that came is spec'd with a 13.7x15 splined prop. They no longer make such a beast and was wondering what recommendations were out there for this boat. The dealer recommended a 13.9x14.25.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,961 Mega Baller
    I have seen it happen with stainless steel props but not nibral. You are lucky there was no hull damage. My friend's boat threw a blade and damaged the hull.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ConorConor Posts: 80 Baller
    Call Eric at OJ. He will hook you up!
    Bill22MattPALPJrjdk99
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,194 Mega Baller
    Whoah. Definitely the first CNC prop I've ever seen do that. Was that prop ever repaired after a strike on something?
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 314 Crazy Baller
    No strike or repair that I am aware of. I bought the boat in 2010 but don't know if there was work before that. Looked clean and no damage to other blades.
  • GarGar Posts: 311 Baller
    I had that happen on my 1982 Ski Nautique was scary did not hit boat thank goodness.
    Thanks @Mark_Matis! I was unable to find one in my searching. Everything worked well before the fail and I'd prefer not to change unless there was something better out there.
  • jdk99jdk99 Posts: 96 Baller
    @MikeGile, literally just happened to me last week.

Ordered a new one from Eric at OJ Props and they took a look at the old one and were very fair. Give Sue a call and she will help you out.

Good opportunity for me to put in a good word for OJ Props. Excellent service, quick response, good people. Can't speak highly enough.
    ALPJr
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 435 Baller
    Yes on a brand new MC lucky it didn't saw through the hull
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,345 Crazy Baller
    if you limped in with that situation the vibration must have been horrible. Check your strut bushing before you go out again.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,194 Mega Baller
    I know OJ provides absolutely top notch service and always takes care of their customers, but three thrown blades in one thread is an eyebrow raiser. Are they all splined MC hubs props?
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 178 Baller
    Yes on two boats last yr. One prop was a 1995 and the other was a 1998. Both were around the 700 hrs of use and OEM props on the respective boats. I would bet that if you were to look closely at the remaining blades there are also cracks on them. This was the case on both of these.
    I now check my prop weekly for cracks. I use a dye penetrant available at industrial supply shops. Spray on and wipe off. Dye will remain in crack and make it visible if it exists.
    Interesting. I'm at just over 750 hours.......

Good call on the dye idea.
  • FSSPCatFSSPCat Posts: 122 Baller
    Had this happen. Friggen scariest sound ever.