Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulling Kids

Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 407 Baller
what do you think is a safe speed to pull kids free skiing ? - my older boys slalom - this year we got a better boat so we bumped up the speed a little at there request. Had a nice little OTF yesterday. Are we pulling them too fast ?

14 yr old - 115 lbs - 26-27 mph
16 yr old - 130 lbs - 28 mph

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 939 Crazy Baller
    Depends on what they are running. We have kids that are younger than that in our club running upwards of 32MPH. They start at 23 and move up from there. Of course there is a 14YO that is now running 36. Ability is a big factor on ski speeds and how comfortable they are.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,347 Mega Baller
    Yeah, those speeds are well within what skiers that age ski at, it is much more form dependent than age dependent. There are several posts you could read on here for form but just generally if they can keep from being broken at the waist through the wakes you should minimize your OTF crashes
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    Lot's of trade-offs... I am probably stating the obvious but just in case:
    • Beginners need some drag to keep things from being too slippery. Too much drag and they tire out too quickly. So, just watch how they are riding the ski. On top and squirrelly or tail deep and dragging. Find the a comfortable middle.
    • Size of ski relative to skier weight can influence comfortable boat speed. That 16yo on a too small sized ski will need to go faster than normal. Conversely a light skier on a full sized adult ski will feel better at slower speeds.
    • Wakes typically get smaller as the boat speed increases, so there's that if they are trying to cut across. Too fast and whip can be beyond the skier's skill/form. Too slow and the wake become an obstacle. Again, try to find middle ground.
    The most important thing is to ensure that the kid skiers are having fun and building confidence. If the speed is causing fear or difficulty, then it is not right.

-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,972 Mega Baller
    Frankly it depends on their ability. When my son moved to Boys 3 which I think is at 14 he bumped to skiing 36 mph. Kids take hard falls sometimes as they progress. Without more info it is hard to say if they are skiing too fast but the speeds you listed aren't unreasonable.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 407 Baller
    i thought i was doing ok but my dad is suggesting 24 mph for them. I did that last year but they have gotten a lot better. Of course I don't know what 24 mph was actually on our 1970's boat (when I was a kid) since speedos are never correct.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,928 Infinite Pandas
    17.5 mph. On a trick ski. Tricks are for kids. Tricks will foster balance, water sense and turn your kids into stars!

Eric
    dchristman