Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too far forward?

WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 469 Baller
I'm on a 2016 66" Radar Vapor. I am habitually on the back of the ski. I'm sure it's mostly me not the ski, but I am having a hard time fixing me. So I moved the bindings forward. I was already one hole forward of stock, now I am two. Stock is 29 1/4 and I am at 29 5/8 (so 3/8 forward of stock). I tried it this morning. The ski just turned without any effort, I felt balanced on the ski, and I ran the easiest 28 I have all summer. Is there any reason I shouldn't just leave it where it is now and go ski?

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 8,014 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I think you answered your own question. Is the fin still set to stock?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    RazorRoss3skialex
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,009 Mega Baller
    If it skis good stick with it.
    Mark Shaffer
    Andre
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,356 Mega Baller
    Ignore stock settings, if they work great but there is no rule saying they are the best settings for you. Great starting point obviously but beyond that I would notice that we have the functionality to adjust settings for a reason. I honestly have no idea where stock is on my ski other than I am not at stock by a healthy margin.
  • ricar116ricar116 Posts: 36 Baller
    I ski at same speed. Have the same issue with getting on back of the ski. (Dominant foot in rear.) Have had the issue all my life. Kept trying to change my form...very limited success. Will move my boots forward as well....Thanks
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,612 Mega Baller
    1) If it works, keep it.
    2) For others reading this, bear in mind that this is far from a cure-all for tending to be back on the ski, and in fact can backfire by making you feel uncomfortable and subconsciously leaning back even more.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Hortonandjulesskialex
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,995 Administrator
    edited August 2017
    STOP! If your hips are behind your feet - moving your bindings forward will not fix the problem

As @Than_Bogan says if you move your bindings and it works fine but this is a very common misconception / mistake. When you move your bindings forward your ski may suddenly turn better but it may also exacerbate your bad position.

I have seen it 100 times. The bindings are forward, the ski seems to turn great but the skier is in worse position out of the ball and has no idea what the problem is.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

markchilcuttScottScottThan_Boganskialex
  • WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 469 Baller
    So this got me thinking. If the front binding is set to stock based on the distance from the tail of the ski to the heel of the boot, but the goal is to have your weight on the ball of your front foot, then isn't that point on the ski directly dependent on how large your foot is? I have a size 10.5 foot. Isn't a person my same with a size 12.5 foot going to necessarily be further forward than I am on the same ski set at stock settings? Maybe I'm missing something here, but now I'm curious. Seems like stock settings would need to be boot size dependent if the goal is to truly put the center of mass in the same point on the ski with skiers of different sizes?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,009 Mega Baller
    @WBLskier your point about foot size is why stock settings are a good starting point. I don't think foot size makes a huge difference but it comes into the equation. Probably the point you really want to measure is where your ankle is on the ski but that is a tough spot to measure and repeat across different bindings.
    Mark Shaffer
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,995 Administrator
    @WBLskier front ankle bone position is the real issue.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,348 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Leave it there if you love it. Buy and read Fin Whispering.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    I'm way forward of the original stock numbers for the 2016 Lithium Vapor. Almost 1/2" of what they originally recommended. Early this summer I try a ProBuild and Brooks Wilson set it up. He put the bindings another 1/8" or so forward of what I had. Moving the bindings forward really help calm the turns down and made it more predictable. I did this on recommendation of others here on BOS.