Fin set-up for 34 vs. 36 mph

skisprayskispray Posts: 238 Crazy Baller
edited July 2010 in Technique & Theory
What are the general differences in how a fin needs to be set up to work well at 36mph as opposed to 34mph?  I just adjusted my settings and took a set - on my opener, which is 34mph, 22 off, the ski worked amazing.  Very early and wide, balanced, and the ski came through on both sides great.  Held angle well, I was very pleased.  I sped up to 36mph and suddenly I couldn't get the ski to come through on the onside.  On my offside the ski would finish but it felt like it took a lot of distance and time for the ski to get underneath me and I couldn't get in a good swing.  Ran a few not-so -good 22 offs at 36mph and cut it to 28 off, where I thought the ski felt even worse.  Very disappointed.  I was feeling like I was in control of everything that was happening at 34mph and completely out of control of what was happening at 36mph.  I don't think it was a body position thing because these problems were very unfamiliar.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,525 Administrator
    <p>
    36 is just harder. I would not change much with the ski between speeds. The skier has to change not the ski.
    </p>
    <p>
    I use a wing at 36 but not at 34. Most skiers use a wing at both speeds. 
    </p>

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

• skisprayskispray Posts: 238 Crazy Baller
    I guess I should have clarified, I'm not learning 36mph, I have been running 22 and 28 off at 36mph for a couple years now and I run almost all my 22offs at 36mph.  I just changed my fin settings and on the first set out they worked great at 34mph and felt bad at 36mph.  I was early and wide into 1 ball at all passes but couldn't get the ski to finish.  Yet at 34mph it came through almost more than I wanted it to at 1 ball.  It seems strange to me, but I though someone else may have had this kind of experience.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,203 Mega Baller
    <p>
    I was wondering the same thing about fin setup and longer versus shorter line lengths.
    </p>
    <p>
    Obviously the passes get harder as the line shortens, but presumably the margin for error on setup is smaller at shorter line lengths.
    </p>
    <p>
    Just like you can get away with not great technique at longer lines, but not so much at shorter lines.
    </p>
    <p>
    How do you sort out improper ski setup from improper skier setup (poor technique)?
    </p>
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,794 Mega Baller
    have someone watching from the boat that has a clue
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • scokescoke Posts: 756 Crazy Baller
    <p>

</p>
    <p>
    "have someone watching from the boat that has a clue"
    </p>
    <p>
    first time i have laughed out loud while reading the internet in quite a while, especially ski message boards.
    </p>