Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

196 hydra-gate

AndreAndre Posts: 1,267 Mega Baller
edited July 2010 in News & Other Stuff
<p>
There's a guy on my lake for 3 weeks with a really nice 09 196 with the 409.I skied his boat twice and the wake doesn't seem to be as nice as other recents 196 i skied.He doesn't have the hydra gate lever BUT told me the gate itself is install but it's in a fixed position.
</p>
<p>
Anyone have this set up and can you tell me where the gate should be for slalom,fully up or down?
</p>
<p>
Also,which prop should be on this boat for ultimate slalom wake and pull?
</p>
<p>
T.I.A.
</p>
<p>
André
</p>

Comments

• ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 808 Crazy Baller
    Prop should be Acme 4 blade 422

That doesn't sound right about the hydro-gate...

I guess the lever should be forward and the plate should be in the up position.

Check under the platform and inspect it yourself.

If it's not right, you'll know it for sure.

I was at a tournament 2 weeks ago and the driver forgot to change it out of trick mode.

Thankfully it was only practice.
    Anthony Warren
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 649 Crazy Baller
    On the 196 the factory does put a fixed plate on the area where the true hydro gate would be for orders who do not include the option of the hydro gate. This plate is so-post to act as a non adjustable hydro gate . Now is the plate is in the same place the as the motion hydro gate that is something that only the factory would know. It may of been mounted a bit higher on the hull by mistake making the wake not as nice as the other 196's you have skied behind. The 6 LTR which is the 409 HP motor will add a bit of weight to the boat but not enough to affect the wake. Scarlet Arrow is correct about the prop size.
  • clemsondaveclemsondave Posts: 369 Baller
    The hydrogate is down in the slalom position, up in the trick/jump position. I checked it on an '08 196 and my 200.
    Dave Satterfield - Richmond Water Ski Club
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,267 Mega Baller
    edited July 2010
    <p>
    Thanks!
    </p>
    <p>
    Just checked underwater and you guys are right .A fixed plate but not a real hydra gate.
    </p>
    <p>
    Guess it was my skiing position...
    </p>
    <p>
    Edit:Seems to be call hydrO gate,sorry!
    </p>
  • PJPJ Posts: 99 Baller
    The 196s that came with no hydro-gate (the lever to move it up and down) have a fixed plate which basically puts the boat in full-time slalom mode.
    MS's chief boat driver
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,574 Mega Baller
    <p>
    dave2ball, FYI the 6 liter engine is 200lbs lighter than the 5.7 liter engine...
    </p>
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge