Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back Binding placement

HortonHorton Posts: 28,533 Administrator
edited September 2007 in Skis Fins Bindings
<p class="MsoNormal">
<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">Does anyone have a good understanding of back binding spacing? I know there are some rules that have been laid out in the past but I am not sure I understand the why.</font>
</p>
Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Comments

• skiepskiep Posts: 322 Solid Baller
    Schnitzskis.com web site under binding tuning. KA
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    <p>
    Rossi and the HO gang started recommending rear binding placement when the Monza first came out. On a 67" it was 29.25 front and 17 rear and on a 68" 29.75 front and 17.5 rear.  I thought this was excessive, especially since I have size 8.5 feet.  This makes for almost 1.125" gap from toe to heel for me.  It worked great for me and I've stuck with it.  I tends to keep me from rocking fore and aft excessively. I read Bruce Butterfield post on Nicholls that you should shoot for 12" to 12.25" ankle to ankle spacing, which is about where I'm at.  Bigger feet with the same ankle spacing would close the gap between toe and heel.
    </p>
    <p>
     I think Rossi said on his 67" Monza following this set up with his foot size gives him .5" heel to toe gap
    </p>
    <p>
    Chris and Bruce, please correct me if I've mis quoted you!
    </p>
    <p>
    Just reading the post from MS about Monza set up, he wrote;
    </p>
    <p>
    <em>"Space between boots is a personal pref. I like a 1.5 inch spread. Most like the back binding closer then that. they like to have toes touching or very close to the front boot. "</em>
    </p>
    <p>
    MS must have little feet like me!
    </p>
    <p>
    MS, Can you please share some info on what if your front heel and rear heel distance from the rear of the ski are. Also, what size feet and your ankle spacing?
    </p>
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,031 Mega Baller
    <p>
    What is the important parameter when talking about front/rear foot spacing?
    </p>
    <p>
    Ankle to ankle?  Ball of rear foot to heel of front foot? Something else?
    </p>
    <p>
    My Yeti feet won't let my front/rear ankles get as close together as someone with human size feet.
    </p>
    <p>

</p>
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,533 Administrator
    I have always thought about it as the wider my feet the more stable my stance is. I think that if your feet are really close it might be better but only when you are in perfect position. I know there are all the cock your foot that way ideas but gosh my feet do what they want once they are in the rubber.

<li><a name="Item_5"></a>
    <div class="CommentHeader">
    <ul>
    <li><span><font size="1" color="#aaaaaa">CommentAuthor</font></span><a href="http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/account.php?u=39"><strong>ski6jones</strong></a><font size="2" color="#aaaaaa"> </font></li>
    <li><font color="#aaaaaa"><span><font size="1">CommentTime</font></span><font size="2">11 hours ago </font></font></li>
    </ul>
    <span><font size="1" color="#aaaaaa">  </font></span>
    </div>
    <div class="CommentBody">
    <p>
    <strong><em>What is the important parameter when talking about front/rear foot spacing? </em></strong>
    </p>
    <p>
    <strong><em>Ankle to ankle?  Ball of rear foot to heel of front foot? Something else? </em></strong>
    </p>
    <p>
    <strong><em>My Yeti feet won't let my front/rear ankles get as close together as someone with human size feet. </em></strong>
    </p>
    <p>

</p>
    </div>
    </li>
    <p>
    Ankle to ankle, but if your foot is longer than 12" to 12.25" I think you should consider... surgery (kidding) Determine the sweet spot length and position of your ski and balance your feet equally over the sweet spot. The longer the foot, the smaller the gap between your rear toe and front heel.  I know a guy that chops off the front of his rear hardshell so he can move his rear foot forward enought to make the 12" ankle spacing. With my short feet I have a large gap.
    </p>
    <p>
    Like John posted, wider stance can promote better balance. For me it tends to keep me from rocking fore and aft excessively.
    </p>
  • Old MS AccoutOld MS Accout Posts: 2,114 Baller
    <p>
    Chuck, I will check tonight.
    </p>
    <p>
    I have size 9.5 feet and use a wiley rear with an Approach front. At the ski test I couldnt drill the fish and I could not get my feet far enough appart. I could not get the ski to work and blamed it on spacing of my feet.
    </p>
    I think this is why John is putting his rubber boots on a Goode plate.  This way he can try the Warp7  ????
    edited September 2007
    I think this is why John is putting his rubber boots on a Goode plate.  This way he can try the Warp7  ????
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,533 Administrator
    edited September 2007
    <p>
    There is a code error in this thread. I am closing it becasue I can not fix it. Start a new thread to keep this topic going if you you want.
    </p>
    <p>

</p>

This discussion has been closed.