Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I set up a trick ski?

ConPexErConPexEr Posts: 22 Baller
How do I know where to mount the bindings?

Comments

• wski1831wski1831 Posts: 117 Baller
    What ski are you mounting? I assume no inserts?
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,170 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    Here are mounting instructions from D3. Basically inside ankle bone1/4" to 3/8" inch in front of ski center. Install the rear toe at a comfortable spot and angle. Adjust as needed. You will determine optimal position as you progress. It's not a hard science.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Bruce_ButterfieldeleeskiskialexIntheday
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,872 Infinite Pandas
    @dchristman nailed it!

Eric
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,728 Administrator
    @Dirt I have made almost every possible ski related mistake and learned from each of them.

The one trick ski mistake I never made was letting a certain Canadian girl be my release person.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,593 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Horton it was only one year on crutches. I forgave her and chose to blame Rhondi.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    Horton
    @dirt I love when you tell the story about the doctor using a hammer to drive the steel rod through your dislocated femor.

Yes had to be Rhondi's fault.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• drewdrew Posts: 76 Solid Baller
    In my opinion the numbers discussed for binding location will be too far back for a hand ski; they are about right for a toe ski.
    Horton
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    @drew Maybe something worth talking about. I would assume someone asking the question would be a relative beginner, have only one ski, and the historically standard binding location would be the best place to start for learning rotational tricks and toes. Binding forward seems to me to be for the advanced skier with one hand pass full of flips.

Since a beginner is first learning hand tricks (but not flips), is there any benefit to setting them up with a binding forward position? Is there anyone training new trickers from the start with separate skis for hands and toes?

Is it time to ski, yet?
    I set Kirk up with a hand ski with the binding set forward about 1cm. I'm not sure he noticed when I replaced the binding with a "normal" placement. His flips didn't change. It's a subtle effect. But my skis are not sensitive to binding placement.

I have gone to moving the back foot back a couple cm for a wider stance than the old school as close as you can get.

Kids I coach will eventually try toes well before buying a second ski so I set up their skis traditionally. I've only seen a few skiers make unusual placement work. It's pretty low on the list of variables to adjust.

Test to see what works for you and your ski. Enjoy the testing process.

Eric
    dchristman
    So @eleeski what would a skier feel if the binding is slightly too far forward or back.

Very crude answer. Too far forward is sticky. Too far back is slippery.

But there are complicating factors. Wider foot spacing works well with forward placement. If it's too far back, some tricks get really easy at the expense of others - especially toes landing in the back position.

See what works for you. And mix it up as you progress.

Eric