Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

quarry sites

6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Hello ballers,

Anyone with an approach strategy for quarry sites active and inactive in an effort to gain ski access. Often they are right sized for skiing and certainly not used for same. I have a friend with lots of quarries nearby he's tried sending letters and no response.

Any ideas that have succeeded appreciated.
Dave Ross--die cancer die

Comments

• BradyBrady Posts: 1,084 Mega Baller
    @6balls I think it would be awesome to ski one set at a quarry site. And after 30 minutes you could ski a second set.....we go to a quarry-like site a few times a year called Lake Powell. You had better have a Mastercraft however as the 100 foot drop off the cliff to launch your boat would most definitely destroy lesser vehicles. I don’t worry about you and your kin lifting the boat out of the water.....your all freaks of nature up north!!
    I ski, therefore I am
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @brady sounds awesome! The quarry sites we are thinking of are so close to home that it wouldn't be a few times a year but a few times per week with regularity for him in the NW Chicago burbs. Nephew in Indianapolis same deal sites nearby.
    Sounds like you are building the dream on a turn around island slot...skiing every day you have a partner on a private joint, eh?
    Brady
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,437 Mega Baller
    Might talk to prior lake club, their main ski site is an old quarry.
    http://www.splwsa.org/facilities
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    MISkier
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,972 Mega Baller
    I think Cobles Ski school is on some sort of old sand or clay quarry. They bought the whole property though.
    Mark Shaffer
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Funny I did medical residency in Waterloo, IA. Primarily a show ski team bought the pond created to build the interstate for about $20K years ago. Has buoys and a jump...I used to buy annual memberships for about $80/season there bringing my own boat or renting one of their inboards for $4/tenth of an hour on the hour meter. Crazy cheap deal back around '99 to 2002.
    Geez to be able to buy something like that now...wow.
    MISkier
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,659 Mega Baller
    @6balls, if the quarries are active, there may be regulations from the Bureau of Mines. Any letter that you send would need to address that or confirm that there would not be any restrictions. It would all have to work with their hours of operation and equipment placement. I suspect those with active quarries aren't responding due to those complications. For those with inactive quarries, a follow up phone call may be the next step - just to at least ask if they received the letter and/or had any questions.

My usual approach is this:

1. If at all possible, get a mutual acquaintance to grease the skids and broach the subject with the owner. There is nothing easier and less intrusive than a familiar party introducing the subject and connecting you with the owner.
    2. Send a letter that is very cordial and inquisitive. Address the liability issue immediately by stating that you will sign waivers and have your own liability insurance. I carry a personal umbrella policy in addition to the liability coverage on the boat. Provide multiple ways to respond (email, phone, mailing address). Make it easy for them to be comfortable responding. Provide information on just what the activity entails. Many people may not know what you are really asking to do there.
    3. If no response, follow up with a phone call - as I mentioned above.
    4. If not able to contact by phone, a visit to the site or owner's residence may work. This is tricky, though. Many people do not like that direct of an approach. If it is a business location, it's easier. If there are No Solicitor or No Trespass signs, this is obviously out.

I was previously successful with a local quarry owner - with an active mining operation.
    We worked out the details around the regulations. However, in the most bizarre twist, he was gunned down in his office the week after we ironed out the deal. It seemed a bit callous to call the widow to see if the deal was still on, so I never really got in there.

PM me if you need more info or example letters.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Brady6balls
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 825 Crazy Baller
    @MISkier Sounds like the story line of a bad movie. I wonder how many bodies are tied to bricks at the bottom.
    MISkier
  • EricKelleyEricKelley Posts: 284 Crazy Baller
    I skied on a working gravel quarry for about 10 years in Ohio in the 80's. It worked very well even had a tournament there.
    There were three of the quarries within 5 miles of our house. Dad and I wondered why no one was skiing on them and decided that it can't hurt to ask! One day we went to 3 of them. The first two said no but the third said yes. It was additional money for his property and it would still be used today if the original owner would have not passed away. Most of the people you approach have no idea what you want to do and will have visions of beer drinking tubers. Helps to make sure that they know they are dealing with serious athletes. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    MISkier
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,659 Mega Baller
    @Eric Kelley, excellent post. The part about serious athletes is something I forgot to mention in my response. In my letters, I mention that and also highlight the various officials credentials that the skiers have. It gives it a more organized appearance than the recreational tubers, for example.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,891 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 2018
    I would think wording that included... willing to lease ($$s), assistance in property upkeep and assistance in property security (you'd be there on weekends) would help with persuading owner.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    MISkier
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,611 Mega Baller
    Letters are a waste of time. For a busy guy, the easy answer is “I’m not interested” and the response is in the form of tossing your inquiry in the circular file. As @Eric Kelley implied, a face to face visit with a well thought out proposal that offers a tangible benefit to the owner/operator is your best approach. Make sure to offer to provide insurance naming the owner/operator as an additional insured. Sportsinsurance.com can help you in this department.

Some pits are better than others. Faith Lake in Shorter Alabama and Seth Stisher’s site in Charleston are both former pits. Both ski very well. Other pits I’ve skied are very rolly. It depends on the shoreline.

Good luck. I hope you are successful.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Skoot1123
  • MoffattraMoffattra Posts: 63 Baller
    rock of ages in Barre, VT; Rossi's hometown (sortof?), always wanted to ski in there, or better yet, see him ski it! but, yes, one pass only...

@MarcusBrown ? flowpoint episode??

Pat MKeith Menard
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 690 Crazy Baller
    @Moffattra I know that quarry well. My family has been dealing with Barre granite for over 100 years. And yah it would be like skiing in a bath tub. I know of gravel quarries that are used for skiing. Usually connected to a construction company or project. The one that comes to mind is the one on Long Island. I think Greg Sund use to ski there along with a few other Islanders (4 buoy course).
    And I may be wrong but I think the Pond in Avon, CT may have been developed from a construction project or in connection with a construction company.