Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early season ending - no water

Fam-manFam-man Posts: 189 Baller
Went out with the crew last evening with the intention of moving the course into deeper water. We are tucked away on a public irrigation reservoir. Placing the course where we do gives us good conditions and is out of the way from the main use areas of the lake. Unfortunately as there is much more water going out of the lake then coming in the water levels have been dropping 8'-12" per week. Had a relocation spot in mind but decided to just pull the course because if the trend continues that area would be un-skiable in a couple weeks. It also has some fairly heavy fishing traffic which is potential for damage. We may try a different spot to leave the course in or start dropping in a pulling each use.

Disappointed in the early season end, had been making progress towards my improvement goals which is hard to do without regular course access.

Comments

• DekeDeke Posts: 381 Baller
    I feel for ya @Fam-man . We never even got ours in this year!
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,349 Crazy Baller
    No help, but is it really dry where you are requiring lots of irrigation? We're near 8" over normal rainfall for the year.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • OSUwaterskierOSUwaterskier Posts: 73 Baller
    Opposite issue down in Georgia this year... haven’t had the course in on Lake Lanier because the water is too HIGH. The rollers after just a single pass make the cove unskiable (unless you have an hour per set).
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 189 Baller
    @LeonL 2 factors at play;
    No significant rain for a couple months and temperatures reaching 35C (95F).

The irrigation district also changed their management plan, previously they would maintain a higher level in the lake by pumping water in, the new strategy is to drain farther and hope for more spring time fill.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,964 Mega Baller
    Our water is high also but there is a dam that controls it so they could drop it. Our water used to be much lower I am not sure why it is at the current level.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 189 Baller
    @Chef23 downstream level control? In wet years I've seen some dams in the area hold extra water to prevent flooding downstream.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,964 Mega Baller
    @Fam-man I don't think that is the issue. The water on our lake has been substantially higher than in the past. It could be down stream issues but we have been fighting this issue for the past 5-7 years. I feel guilty saying our lake has too much water in it.
    Mark Shaffer