Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anything unique about a jump handle?

ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 801 Crazy Baller
Buying gear for jump is an adventure... I see there are handles that are specifically marketed for jump. Is there anything unique about these compared to slalom handles?
Anthony Warren
rodecon

Comments

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,522 Mega Baller
    Jump handles are generally an inch or 2 shorter (width) than slalom. Hands are closer together and the skier is not regrabbing so shorter is ok.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,961 Mega Baller
    They are narrower. A jump handle I believe is generally only 10" wide. If you would like I can go downstairs and measure my son's.

For a beginner jumper a regular handle is fine.
    Mark Shaffer
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 321 Solid Baller
    @Bruce_Butterfield What is the reason for jump handles being narrower? Why do jumpers want their hands closer together? I always feel like I have more power with my hands farther apart at least in slalom.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,522 Mega Baller
    Hmmmm. I’m not sure exactly why, it’s just something I’ve noticed most jumpers have their hands pretty close. In being around some really good jump coaches, I’ve noticed that good body mechanics in jump are much more subtle and more important than slalom.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 321 Solid Baller
    I've noticed it too. I've hung around lots of long jumpers but never asked. I'm going to -although there are lots of them on this forum who could answer.
  • mnewthmnewth Posts: 20 Baller
    One major pro of the narrower handles = it can't accidentally go over the jumper's helmet! Especially with newer jumpers, I'd make sure that whatever handle they're using can't possibly get wrapped around the neck.
    klindyjjackkrashBoilerskier
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 352 Baller
    Exactly, narrower handle = less likely to go over head/head through handle (as has happened), and less likely for anything to occur with the handle. You're not doing multiple handle grabs like slalom, and any legit jumper wants their hands as far up the handle as possible giving direct control and leverage.