Does a scratch ruin a ski?

AgobranAgobran Posts: 8 Baller
edited July 2018 in Stuff For Sale
Looking at this ski here
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=46707

And I'm wondering if that scratch on the bottom totally ruins the ski or not
Tagged:

Comments

• ballsohardballsohard Posts: 459 Crazy Baller
    I wouldn't ever buy a ski with a deep scratch like that
    Andrekylegansel
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,705 Mega Baller
    edited July 2018
    Pass.
    That's not a scratch,that's almost a break...
    Not the clearest pix but looks like we can see foam...
    My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
    ballsohardkylegansel
  • lazznlazzn Posts: 51 Baller
    A flex test may yield more information as to the ski's integrity.
    Wisconsin Waterski Team
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,641 Crazy Baller
    I don't think I'd buy it.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • AgobranAgobran Posts: 8 Baller
    ok thanks ill keep looking
  • lazznlazzn Posts: 51 Baller
    Also I'm pretty sure that's Siani Oliver selling it and if she was skiing on it for two months after scratching it and it hasn't broken yet I'd venture to bet it won't break because of that. A little resin and buffing and it would probably be fine. Do some negotiating
    Wisconsin Waterski Team
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,968 Mega Baller
    I'd be more bothered by a scratch running transverse than longitudinal - even if it damaged the lamination it would not want to crack lengthwise.

For a scratch like that I would focus more on sealing it from water than trying to repair the running surface. Even just painting the crack with some thin epoxy and wiping it smooth would put my mind at ease.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,491 Administrator
    @Agobran the seller is a known Connelly team member. I would trust her. If she says the ski is OK then it is OK.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

slow
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 474 Crazy Baller
    Chop carbon and a little resin fill and lightly sand. Good as new!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 4,001 Infinite Pandas
    @Stevie Boy As an engineer and ski builder, there is damage that can compromise a ski. Team members have a pretty good feel for this as well. Cosmetic damage does not make a ski sub standard (except in looks). It is not insightful to stress over the cosmetics of a ski.

It's really irritating when people who ski with me put a towel down on the swim step to "protect" their ski. I always renew the finish of my skis in front of them - with 24 grit sandpaper.

Just ski!

Eric
    slowjerrymjipster43
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    Given Horton's comments I might risk it given that he appears to know and trust the seller. Without that info I would have stayed away though.
    Mark Shaffer
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,968 Mega Baller
    Bigger question isn't if it's safe, it is but the discount is kind of eh
    ISP6ball
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,158
    yea...maybe $200.
    Bob Grizzi
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    I think for about that money you could find a ski without a big scratch in the bottom.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,308 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @eleeski @$1800 - $2000 a pop I guess we will have to agree to disagree, for that money I do not want something scratched / banged up unneccessary, I tend to respect my personal belongings, I worked hard for them.
    Obviously you have different values.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 4,001 Infinite Pandas
    @Stevie Boy The price on that ski is advertised at $500. That discount buys a lot of rides that will improve your skiing.

Only @MS wants a pristine old Monza. That ski will turn into yesterday's flash with no residual value way too soon. Ski it and enjoy it without stressing over something that won't affect the performance.

Eric
    jipster43
  • slowslow Posts: 512 Crazy Baller
    More than I would pay. That’s a gouge not a scratch even if it’s repairable. What if you don’t like how it skis then what do you do with it.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,308 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    So I have to ask, as stated in the advert, if the ski was her favourite and the defect does not affect the longevity nor performance.
    Why is she selling it ?

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

ballsohardKiller
  • shansen345shansen345 Posts: 181 Baller
    @Stevie Boy If it's a Connelly team member, she probably gets a new one every year. 2019 gear is almost out for many companies.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,492 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @eleeski Monzas Rock
    Shut up and ski
    eleeski