Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Driver drama at Nationals...

Breaking news... first ever appointed Nationals driver removed from driving Open Women and replaced with a non-appointed driver for the event! What happened? Also, this just in....the removed driver was placed on a different lake to pull W4 and after several comments from some of the women of the event, the driver was not giving the best ride possible and wasn’t waiting on the timer to beep both times at the end of the lake. Seems kind of weird..... thoughts?
walleyerichfoster

Comments

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,353 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2018
    Thoughts.....since no name given I can comment freely. It would appear that two things were at work. First the driver just wasn't good enough to be utilized at that level. Sometimes appointments are more a popularity contest than selecting the best. Second, the boat judge runs the boat, thereby if the driver wasn't giving the full wait time as determined by the chief officials th boat judge wasn't doing his job. Brutally honest here, again due no names used.
    The chief driver has the option of using the best available on site.
    Now all this is based on the accuracy of @rgood1172 comments above.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Pat MKillerrichfosterBroussard
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,202 Mega Baller
    Seems like the top 3 are in normal order.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,780 Administrator
    There is NO DRAMA. The chief boat driver told me that there was musical chairs among the best drivers to accommodate the contractual agreements between the boat companies and the LOC.
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Than_Boganrgood1172dnewton
    edited August 2018
    Boy,,I sure am dumb. I had no idea that the LOC has "contractural agreements" with boat companies. And I sure can't comprehend how specific drivers enter into this. Just goes to show that a country hick has no idea about "big stuff"! Nationals level stuff is way above my pay grade.
    Killerj2nh
  • sunperchsunperch Posts: 248 Crazy Baller
    @Horton No drama???? You must not have visited the starting dock on Lake 3 during the W4 slalom event......
    richfosterrgood1172KdW
    edited August 2018
    @sunperch that was a different drama.

• ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,054 Mega Baller
    By virtue of this thread, someone was torqued off. With of without reason.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,975 Infinite Pandas
    I was there on the exile lake. After tricking in front of a crowd of exactly zero, I was the only judge around who they could find to fill in to get the slalom events started. No problem, I'd be done before my trick scores were done.

I felt sorry for the guys who waited on the starting dock ready to go for an hour - not sure what the delay was. Something about awards? I heard that awards would be delayed. OK by me since I scored one too - so my worries about my involvement in judging making me miss my presentation were removed. Communication with the rest of the site was awful - I missed my podium...

Not enough chairs or water in the tower. The gate camera was too low and auto shut off randomly. A bit hokey. The north wind had a good fetch so the water was a bit choppier than the other lakes - but we all have skied way worse conditions. Still, the slalom felt like an afterthought on that lake.

I got transferred to gate judge for the women. Splasheye gate review is very user friendly. This DVR wasn't Splasheye (apologies to the person we reviewed and left sitting in the water too long). The camera ended needing a reset after every skier - and we still missed a critical call. The events went really slowly.

I did hear a couple reride requests complaining about the driver. Normally that's rare. I chalked it up to frustration with being so late - after a promise of being on time. Maybe something else was going on. I didn't see any cut up buoys. But the scores were down.

Sad to hear there was drama. My apologies if the couple delays I caused contributed.

Eric
    wski247jipster43KdW
    @sunperch yes I did hear that there was an issue with W4. What I was stating above is that there was nothing nefarious about the shuffling of drivers for the America's Cup.

I have heard bits and pieces from reputable people that whoever was driving the boat for W4 was definitely making some people unhappy. It's super unfortunate that this one event went sour.

There were a few other small controversies throughout the week but all in all it was a fantastic Nationals. There was over 700 skiers and unfortunately a handful of them had a bad experience but from what I could tell the vast majority of the skiers I had a very good experience.

klindyski6jonesZmansantangelo
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,901 Mega Baller
    Ok!!! So! Let me get this straight.. open women national event driver pulled so contractual for Americas cup final drives event! Ok why did not the assigned national driver or drivers who drove open men slalom and open women / men trick get pulled in lew of contracted Americas cup drivers??
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,699 Mega Baller
    I spoke with several W4 skiers immediately after the event. To say they weren’t happy with the driver and driving is putting it mildly. This feeling was expressed up and down the results ladder, so it wasn’t just a few skiers unhappy about their scores complaining.

The Open Women skiers I talked to said that CS gave them a great pull. My sense is that they were quite content. Considering that Malibu pulled OW, who could possibly be better behind the wheel? I could be sheltered, but I have never heard an OW woman complain about CS not treating them fairly regardless of who else might be in the event. If a certain female skier always seems to come out on top, it’s because there are only one or two other women of her caliber out there (with a few more starting to knock on the door).
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Andrergood1172
    @lpskier so what you are saying is that the driver that was sent and approved and appointed by his region to drive nationals in your opinion was not qualified to drive the event he was assigned to drive by the cd and approved by the cj?? And then was pulled from the event he was approved to drive in lew of a not appointed driver! But this was not the case with open men slalom?? Yet Becky due to contractual obligations drove the Americas cup final....

Interesting concept!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

rgood1172Bruce_Butterfield
    l do not 100% follow the issue except for the allegation that the driver for W4 performed poorly. If you have got something to say in addition to that come right out and say it but don't just stir the pot.

ZmanThenderson
    edited August 2018
    @Jody_Seal No. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that Chad (as usual) gave everyone a good pull. I don’t know who was “replaced” or why. I am saying that doing so didn’t seem (to me or anyone I spoke with) to prejudice any OW skier. Maybe the original driver would have done a great job too.
    edited August 2018
    @matthewbrown sometimes there are cry babies and sometimes there are legit complaints

ski6jonesjimskiwalleyeThan_Bogan
    Many or most of you are not drivers, The National championship is not only the pinnacle event in our association for many skiers but also the pinnacle event for our officials also. Each and every region sends who they feel is the best representative to judge, score and drive the the US national championships, They are approved by the directors and president of our association.
    Now How would you Feel if you as a appointed driver if for no reason you were pulled from a high profile event you were assigned to drive (and open women like it or not is considered a premium event) sent to drive another event (again not considered a premium event) after the assignments went out on Monday, approved by the chief judge (and maybe even the president of the association) only to be pulled out and have a non appointed driver installed on game day?
    What were they thinking? did they think that driver was not enraged? did they really think that sending him over to lake 3 in a pissed off state that the women 4 were going to get a good ride?
    So he was good enough to make the drivers assignment on Monday and not good enough on Friday!
    I am not saying that it was right in what he did if indeed he was crappy outside the course for women 4 but none the less why was he pulled from open women if the America's cup had nothing to do with the Nationals?
    Before any one say's all events are premium i will go out and say I agree. I believe that it is just as important to give that girls 1 a "premium" ride as that open women. For me there are not any premium events and I believe that on National championship game day the best skier will win under the conditions provided! (Another Chief driver told me that also a couple of years ago when he decided to drive all the jump events on the last day in WPB). However that is not the case in this sport or the manufacturers that demand equal pulls for "premium" events would not scream and cry for equal billing for open men's/women's slalom and jump, MM slalom etc.
    I am pretty sure the drivers committee will address the Women's 4 situation and maybe even reprimand that driver. But the fact still remains that unwarranted lineup changes were made solely for individual reasons and the women's 4 incident could have been avoided had the chief driver played with his initial lineup!

j2nhskierjp
    edited August 2018
    @MISkier
    Joel I see you are a padwan level assistant slalom driver and probably a pretty good one too! I hope you continue to spread that vibe! But!
    Like it or not welcome to the real world of high end tournament driving!

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,145 Mega Baller
    Id wager a healthy number of people on this site know the driver...
    edited August 2018
    You know...I don't know who he was and I really don't want to! As @Jody_Seal mentioned "pissed off state", it takes a thick skin to operate in that environment. If you get pissed off or your feelings hurt and respond by doing less than your best.... Well that's bad. Not only did the W4 suffer but inevitable the driver will also. Those who chose him are most likely embarrassed and will remember when sending a representative next time.
    Jody_Sealski6jonesslow
    I’m not sure there is a correlation between being upset with an OW driver change and a poor performance behind the wheel. I think we sort of jumped to that conclusion. It could be because the guy lost his glasses, had already spent a couple hours driving, had a hangover, had a difficult boat, or any number of other reasons. All we know for certain is that there were several upset skiers.
    Jody_SealKiller
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 273 Crazy Baller
    I’m going to go with what @lpskier said, because a driver who purposely gives less than his best at any tournament, let alone Nationals where people spent vacation time plus $1k plus to attend, shouldn’t be a driver. I sincerely hope that @Jody_Seal is wrong
    Than_Bogan
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 273 Crazy Baller
    and that the mindset of “high end tournament drivers” is not so egocentric.
    Than_Bogan