Opinions on 99 Sunsetter LXI

jimmyjamesbrownjimmyjamesbrown Posts: 32 Baller
Ant thoughts on this folks? Seems a little high (keep in mind this is CAD), but nice boat. Need more info obviously...

https://tcmarine.com/boats-for-sale/1999-Malibu-SUNSETTER/US-MB2B0304D999/
Ckrueg

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,893 Mega Baller
    edited August 2018
    I haven’t skied behind the Sunsetter but at some point they different hulk options I believe. One of them is supposed to slalom basically the same as a Response which is a very good slalom boat. The Malibu Crew website would have a lot of info.

I have a 2002 Response LX which is a very similar boat and it is a great boat.

That boat looks super clean.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DekeDeke Posts: 379 Baller
    I think the 99 Sunsetter LXi had the same SV diamond hull as the Response LX, which is a great slalom wake.
    braindamage
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 240 Solid Baller
    edited August 2018
    It definitely is a sunsetter on the diamond hull. So a decent slalom boat.
    However ...
    Boat looks to me as it took quite the abuse, sat in the water for extended periods and was never properly covered. Just recently well cleaned up to sell it. Obviously.
    Lots of dings all around, rubrail in the front took a good hit, dash and controls are very faded due to lots of UV exposure, rust on a lot of engine parts, carpet has lots of stains, upholstery looks dull not ripped though, teak platform has not seen any oil in years, underwater gear looks pretty corroded, even with a recent acid clean-up, windshield frame looks horrible, all the storage netting is sagging, so is the rear center floor-piece above the mufflers, trunk looks super dirty, trailer bunks are duct-taped (wtf?), ...
    I wouldn’t pay half of the asking price for that boat.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,039 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    They handle and ski remarkably well given size and free-board. It's almost a little mind-bending...or that's how I felt when I drove/skied it. Sorta like a really high performance SUV like the Mercedes AMG's or BMW X5-M's or Porsche Cayenne's---you sit in a big heavy SUV but you go like hell and corner in ways that just feel wrong given the size of the vehicle.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    The boat is almost 20 years old so it is likely to have some wear. My boat sits in the water from May to October and it does have some blisters in the gel coat. They don’t impact the way it runs.

I always cover my boat at night but the upholstery on my boat shows wear because it is 16 years old and has 1000 hours on it.

If the engine runs strong and the hull is blister free it would be worth trying to make a deal in.
    Mark Shaffer
    I'm with @DavidN though. The price is on the high side. I have a 99 RLX in better condition and I know I would only get about half what they're asking for that Sunsetter.
    You have to factor in that it is Canadian dollars. I agree it is high but Sunsetters are harder to find than Responses as well.
    Mark Shaffer
    dg1845
    Gotcha on the Canadian dollar @Chef23. I didn't realize.
  • nam1975nam1975 Posts: 134 Baller
    That boat look looks completely redone inside, both vinyl and carpet?
    also probably not the original trailer.

If I knew the history, I’d be ok with it.
    No history I would pass.

In US dollars that boat is mid-high teens.

• nam1975nam1975 Posts: 134 Baller
    That boat look looks completely redone inside, also probably not the original trailer.

If I knew the history, I’d be ok with it. No history I would pass.

In US dollars that boat is mid-high teens.

• aspskiaspski Posts: 179 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I have a 2001 Sunsetter lxi that I bought in Canada this spring for 6k less than that one with tower and a few other things. Fantastic boat, the slalom wake is amazing, and I can wakeboard and surf it too. Just a great all around boat.

How many hours on that one?
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 165 Baller
    Just skied one this morning with the latest PP installed. Wakes get better the shorter the line gets. 38 off is better than my 1997 SN 196!
    As mentioned above the hull can wake board, surf and ski so is a truly all around hull not to mention built tough. If it had the Monsoon motor and Wedge option this would be a no brainer purchase. These hulls are selling fast and for more money around our parts because of the flexibility of the boat.
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 149 Baller
    edited August 2018
    I have the ‘00 sunsetter lxi and it is a great ski boat. Extremely popular for those who want the performance of a tournament wake and the room (almost) of a v-drive.

The price is too high, though. I agree with @nam1975 : high teens in USD.
  • jimmyjamesbrownjimmyjamesbrown Posts: 32 Baller
    Thanks @aspski, not sure how many hours. Dealer won't answer questions by email...wants to show it to me and discuss. Argh. :s :/ :/
    26k CDN is just under 20k Us at today’s rates. Probably some room to negotiate particularly if it sits around as the winter approaches.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Nole_SkierNole_Skier Posts: 10 Baller
    I purchased a 1999 LXI three years ago and paid $16k USD. From the pictures I would say similar condition, mine had 725 hours at purchase. I'm still a 15 off skier but at my level I can't tell the difference between it and the 196 and 200 that I regularly ski behind. So far it's been a great boat.
  • torontoboatertorontoboater Posts: 34 Baller
    I have a 99 Sunsetter LXI and love it. Terrific boat. I am from Toronto but went to Cincinatti to get mine based on the cult reviews for this boat on this forum and elsewhere as the best family size ski boat. I also use the same marina (Town & Country) which is selling this boat to service mine and have been very happy with them as well - they are knowledgeable, friendly and professional. Good luck.
    braindamagejimmyjamesbrown
    @torontoboater, where do you do?
  • torontoboatertorontoboater Posts: 34 Baller
    jimmyjamesbrown, I am on Lower Buckhorn Lake. What about you?
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 240 Solid Baller
    Now this is a total different story:
    https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/malibu-sunsetter-lxi-98/6688635162.html
    I know it’s not CAD, but that boat looks well maintained and the price is right!
    andjules
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 456 Crazy Baller
    Looks very well kept plus no tower!
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 199 Baller
    edited September 2018
    @DavidN @dvskier That boat is mislabeled. First the LXI didn’t come out until 1999. It is a Sunsetter LX not an LXI. The LXI has a bigger interior due to having a longer “deck”. The LXI has a large trunk. In my experience the LX does not ski as well as the LXI also.
    andjulesDavidN
    @torontoboater I'm on big bald lake.

Any courses you know of in the area?
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 588 Crazy Baller
    What @Lieutenant Dan said. The LXi skis really well for its size. And it is a very different boat than the standard Sunsetter. Impressive storage and bow space too .
    braindamage
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,522 Mega Baller
    edited September 2018
    Didn’t the Sunsetter LXi have sort of a cantilever design to the stern? I think it would kind of have a notched hull at the back where the swim platform mounted. Thus, a portion of the trunk was structured to overhang the exhaust, etc. So, a flush level stern would not be an LXi.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 199 Baller
    edited September 2018
    @MISkier you are correct. The deck of the LXI extends over the hull at the back giving more room to put a large trunk / sun platform on the stern. Another visual clue to distinguish LX from LXI is where the aft portion of the windscreen meets the gunnel. On the LX the gunnel rises up to meet the windscreen frame whereas on the LXI the gunnel is flat and he frame continues down to meet that flat surface.
    skimtbbraindamage
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,039 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited June 9
    @jimmyjamesbrown Cool boat. Beep alarm? Is it your PP set at 34?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Thanks @6balls , I thought PP at first but stays on....even if PP is off. It's the dash beep (same as when key in). Read similar issues on Malibu forum, replacing knock sensor seems like likely fix.
  • hemlockhemlock Posts: 140 Baller
    Nice boat!
    It truly is one of the better "all around" boats that were ever made.
    The 2000 sunsetter was tow boat of the year.
    And they are hard to find because guys don't want to give them up.

Check your transmission cooler lines, the beep is likely caused by an overheating transmission, and you could have seaweed junk caught in the filter. (It's right in the front of the engine)
    If your shower pump is leaking, you should be able to easily pull off the trunk back wall and service it. (check the hot/cold controls for more seaweed)
    jimmyjamesbrownbraindamage