Update Fin Whispering with a 2nd edition — Yes or No

SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
edited September 2018 in Other Stuff

The first printing of Fin Whispering is nearly sold out and I’m trying to decide whether to do a second edition or not. Most of the general prep info would remain the same, but about 1/8th of the book would be rewritten to update concepts, procedures and formulae for binding and fin tuning—aka the important stuff.

It would be a lot of work and small runs of books are very expensive, so I’ll only go ahead with this if there seems to be enough demand. Your vote won’t be made public, and your help with this decision would be much appreciated. Many thanks for all your support to date.
www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent

Update Fin Whispering with a 2nd edition — Yes or No 128 votes

Yes, do a 2nd edition! I want the best information I can get.
87% 112 votes
Don't do a 2nd edition on my account. I’m good with the original.
10% 14 votes
I have little to no interest in ski tuning.
1% 2 votes

Comments

• tjmtjm Posts: 315 Baller
    Put me on the list
  • KillerKiller Posts: 358 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Yes do it, but audio version!
    ReggieO
  • scorban2scorban2 Posts: 91 Baller
    I'm planning to buy a copy over the winter. Sounds like I need to wait for the new one or get ahold of one of the remaining ones!
    andjules
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,300 Mega Baller
    Any way to publish digitally? Cheaper for your print cost
    scorban2Bruce_ButterfieldReggieO
  • bbruzzesebbruzzese Posts: 116 Baller
    I learned a ton from the first edition...did a great job of explaining "how and why" for me at least. i think a "troubleshooting" guide would be cool.
    WaterSkier12scotchipmanbf`
  • dhofertdhofert Posts: 215 Baller
    How about just a shorter, new info only edition? I got a lot of knowlage out of the first but dont get nearly enough time skiing to play much with my settings.
  • DanoDano Posts: 112 Baller
    I'm with Bracemaker. Rather than printing and shipping. Create a PDF, pay per download. Will save you the cost of printing and the hassle of shipping.
    WishKillerISP6ballReggieO
  • WishWish Posts: 7,633 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    +1 for printable/payable PDF if that doesn't mess up your vision of how your book could be updated.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    skialexKiller
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    As somebody who knows next to nothing about fin theory I was thinking this week how I should get this book to learn. Plus I finally broke down and bought calipers.
    Than_Bogan
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,255 Mega Baller
    I would be especially interested if the new material talks more about speed, carry-out, direction holding, and other things that happen away from the turn. I'm increasingly becoming convinced that the effect on the ski across the wakes is even more important than in the turn. But I'm even more clueless about what does what for that portion.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    ZmanNando
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 361 Solid Baller
    +1 on what ThanBogan said. I recently have encountered numerous ski/fin setups/changes where everything felt great, but the ski did not cast out, or carry-out, like I wanted or how it did at stock or previous settings.
    Zman
  • bajabaja Posts: 247 Baller
    I'll buy a copy of the 2nd Edition in whatever format you choose. This will replace the 1st Edition that has migrated to a ski buddy's house along with my extra pair a calipers. He let's me borrow it anytime I want so I got that going for me. Amazon self publishing is an easy way to go for both paperback and/or Kindle digital.
  • MarkSAUMarkSAU Posts: 29 Baller
    For the guys Downunder who pay more for postage than the cost of the book, the online soft copy will be very welcome!
    Mark
    Melbourne Australia

"You have not fallen off until you let go the rope"
  • rbuss4rbuss4 Posts: 1 New Baller
    Please update us as soon as you decide. I need a copy for this off season; one or the other
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 515 Crazy Baller
    I am in for second edition as soon as it comes out. I will donate my first edition to one of my ski buddies or my ski club.
    bf`
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,357 Crazy Baller
    What @dhofert said. Make the new edition mostly new stuff.
    Include a troubleshooting guide as @bbruzzese suggested.
    And, what @Than_Bogan and @Booze said about some tips for better cross course performance to help set up the ski for casting out.
    Tall order, good luck! :) :)
    And, pictures.
    WaterSkier12
  • SkirvindSkirvind Posts: 32 Baller
    I'd be up for an update always like to learn more.
  • One_SkiOne_Ski Posts: 63 Baller
    If there's an electronic/pdf/Kindle version, I will buy one. Paper, not so much.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    Thank you for all this feedback. Most of the wish list above is slated to be addressed in a future book that's currently in an advanced stage of outline. It will be all new, more concise, and will take a different approach to the subject altogether. But it's still thousands of hours away. It's been delayed for nearly two years now by ongoing research into a new fin design.

Meanwhile, the decision at hand isn't about the content or format for the existing book. It's about a simple update and reprint. There's still steady demand for the first book as word spreads beyond BallOfSpray, but it may not be enough to justify an economically sized printing order. That's why I'm asking how many of you would be interested in purchasing a second edition if ⅛ of the book is updated to include what I've learned over the past three years of research and tuning skis for a living.

And yes, there may be an electronic version later on.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 515 Crazy Baller
    I am still in for the extra 1/8th.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,361 Mega Baller
    All in for an updated 2nd edition. For me an A-B-C, 1-2-3 summary page for quick set up would be nice with an if this- then try that arrangement would be awesome!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    ZmanWaterSkier12skialex
  • One_SkiOne_Ski Posts: 63 Baller
    I'm also in for the extra 1/8, but only if its an electronic version. When that comes out, I'll buy one. If you'd email me a pdf of the book, I'd buy that - even if it's password protected or otherwised unsharable/unprintable.
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 189 Baller
    As I read all the info on the two fins, I bought myself a slightly early Bday present today. I know zero about changing a ski from it's stock set up; hoping this book won't hurt my brain too much.
    Ryota SkiJayBlueSki
  • rodeconrodecon Posts: 186 Baller
    I finally caved and purchased a copy today as well, I am excited to take the tumultuous journey of a "fin tweaker"!
    BlueSkiRednucleus