Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Water is a balmy 58 degrees...should I change my fin?

Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 554 Crazy Baller
I am a set it and forget it kind of guy. I have everything set on my 2017 66" vapor pro to factory recommended except I have the bindings moved about an 1/8 forward.

Now that the water is getting cold, should I tweak the fin?
jimski

Comments

• RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,339 Mega Baller
    No, cold weather/water just make sure to keep your body “athletic” on top of the ski. It’s realky easy to tense and tighten up and your skiing will suffer for that far more than from the actual temp change
    MISkierZman
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,770 Administrator
    no leave it alone unless ski setup is a hobby

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

ZmanAPB
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 657 Crazy Baller
    In years past, I would add ~0.01 of depth, thinking that colder water would make the ski ride higher in the water. This year, I'm not making any fin changes and focusing on form and flexibility... kinda what @RazorRoss3 said.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    I have more problems when the water starts getting 95F plus. Once it gets cold its more for exercise than pbs for me anyways.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,141 Mega Baller
    No unless you are hitting a bunch of tournaments in cold water.

I always found it better to slow the speed a little and focus on technique vs buoy count. Enjoy the extra passes.
    Zman
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,961 Mega Baller
    Just ski and have fun. Don’t worry about your fin. When it is cold work on technique on some easier passes. I don’t push the envelope when it is co,d somthe fin isn’t as important.
    Mark Shaffer
  • theboardingschooltheboardingschool Posts: 127 Water Ski Industry Professional
    I watched Freddie run 41’ on a 2 year old Senate with a drop in fin this week, so I’m gonna vote no.
    WaterSkier12skihart
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,465 Mega Baller
    Yes, you should change it to a CG fin :)

But as far as the actual question, no, I don't usually do changes for the cooling water.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • skihartskihart Posts: 499 Solid Baller
    @theboardingschool hey Travis I saw that video. Crazy three ball! I think @FW has found his new stick. Was that at 34 or 36 ?
    Rob
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 269 Baller
    I’m guessing Fred Winter was “in the right spot”! ;-)
    skiharttheboardingschooljimski
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 314 Crazy Baller
    I agree with @scotchipman. This time of year it seems to be way more work to establish width.

Leave the fin and decrease wing. I switched from 9.25 to 8 degrees about two weeks ago. Our water is about 60 degrees.
    scotchipman