Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to remove stickers?

Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,059 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
I just bought a new to me ski, but with decals on it. Any suggestions so I don’t mess up the ski?

Comments

• ObrienslalomObrienslalom Posts: 67 Baller
    Put your own over them? :|

Ive used WD-40 on cars to remove those super annoying dealer stickers. Never damaged the paint.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,775 Mega Baller
    There are citrus based products but usually a plastic edged scraper and go carefully, maybe some hair dryer or careful heat gun use.

Expect fading if the ski came from somewheres sunny.
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 525 Crazy Baller
    Heat them up with a hair dryer and they'll peel right off. Follow up with alcohol and it'll look perfect.
    Chef23andjules
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 297 Crazy Baller
    Use a hair dryer, it works well.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,871 Infinite Pandas
    Test it first but Goof Off is pretty effective. Brake fluid also gets some decals before it gets the finish. Alcohol, WD40, carb cleaner and gasoline might work too. But timing is everything. Test for sure because plastics are often degraded by harsh solvents.

Careful with too much heat but a skilled heat gun operator should be able to get stickers off without delaminating the ski.

Primer white hides many imperfections!

Eric
    ChasingOldDreams
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,424 Mega Baller
    3m adhesive remover
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    shansen345
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,582 Mega Baller
    I used a heat gun and they came right off. Hair dryer would be safer.
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 939 Mega Baller
    3M Eraser wheel on a drill will work WONDERS as a last resort. One of the most effective specialty tools ever. Also great for boat decals that won't give up.

• Tom351Tom351 Posts: 108 Baller
    Denatured alcohol works really well also.
    ChasingOldDreams
  • One_SkiOne_Ski Posts: 66 Baller
    Have you tried an ice pick (kidding ;0))
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,059 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I hadn’t tried anything yet as I wasn’t sure of a definite no-no other than a grinder. Some chemicals I’d think could gum up the ski. I don’t think fading will be an issue and I’d leave the stickers but they are absolutely hideous on this ski. I’ll try denatured alcohol and a hair dryer.
  • Connelly_Skis_IncConnelly_Skis_Inc Posts: 43 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Horton has some good tips on removing size stickers.

But John, what if there is no sticker???

eleeskiForrestGumpWoodySkierchris_logan
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,775 Mega Baller
    Mold just etched?
    Connelly_Skis_Inc
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,723 Administrator
    Don't use any solvents on your ski.. Or if you do test under the bindings first. Just peel off the stupid stickers it's fine. Or buy Connelly.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Connelly_Skis_Inc
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,052
    Unlike 10 years ago, today's adhesives used in stickers are typically impervious to alcohol based products.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• WishWish Posts: 7,827 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    How about old stickers on a hull? More like a step pad that had the micro thin sticky sheet on the bottom. Step pad came off. Sticky sheet still stuck and well adhered to hull.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,424 Mega Baller
    @Wish - 3m adhesive remover. That is what they make it for. I used it and a soft plastic scraper when I removed the enormous wakesetter decals off the side of my boat.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    DragoWishChasingOldDreams
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 939 Mega Baller
    @Wish I'm telling you - 3M Eraser Wheel. Put it on a drill and have at it. It absolutely eats stickers and residue and will not damage the hull. Amazing product. It was one of those things that when I used it the first time I couldn't believe I had gone so long not knowing about it.
    WishIGski
  • Tom351Tom351 Posts: 108 Baller
    I agree on the 3M Eraser Wheel- used in on my hull when removing a pinstripe. No hull damage- also, plastic razor blades work well....as do metal razor blades, but with much higher stakes if you slip.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,491 Crazy Baller
    I like the grinder idea. Extra course.
  • ChasingOldDreamsChasingOldDreams Posts: 16 Baller
    muriatic acid definitely
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 566 Crazy Baller
    @Jhughes, that wheel looks awesome. I am going to order one today.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,874 Mega Baller
    edited October 2018
    Blow dryer then wipe off any left over goo with a citrus based adhesive remover.
    thager
  • HallpassHallpass Posts: 149 Solid Baller
    @wish. On the hull question, Acetone won't hurt gel coat. It will eat pinstripes and stickers, so be careful. Many people have told me the 3M erasers are great. I've never tried one.
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 408 Crazy Baller
    A heat gun will remove all stickers. A little WD-40 will remove all sticker adhesive residue. Get 'er did~!