Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interpretation of boat path rules

MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
I've noticed a slight inconsistency or lack of clarity in the rules about boat path - at least to me.

Rule 10.07 B says this:

Where end course is available, the towboat pylon shall not deviate by more than 20cm (7.87in) from the course centerline. For instances where end course video is not available, the boat shall follow a straight path as close to the centerline of the course as possible.

This rule seems to say that excessive deviation either way (to the advantage or disadvantage of the skier) is not allowed and is, rightfully so, a possible reride justification. It does not say where the deviations are measured or considered for tolerance and/or reride consideration.

Rule 14.04 says this:

Maximum deviation of the boat on approach to each buoy/gate is 20 cm (8”) toward the side of the skier buoy.

The table in 14.04 is clear about the allowed cumulative deviation for each buoy point attained in the two passes that are considered for confirming the record.

So, I have two questions:

1. If the boat path is off center away from the skier side of the buoy (i.e., a disadvantage to the skier) at the point of measurement, is that deviation ignored or added to the cumulative deviation calculated for a record pass? It seems odd to count a deviation to their disadvantage against them, especially if they are in contention for the record. Rule 14.04 seems to say only the deviation to the advantage of the skier is counted.
2. What is the point or zone of measurement actually considered for a record pass and what happens if the boat should deviate more than the allotted amount outside of that point or zone? For example, the boat is within tolerance at the point/zone of measurement, but is out of tolerance at some other point in the course before the driver corrects it to reach the measurement zone.

It's not like I will ever be in a position to pull a record, but I want to drive like I am every time.

If there is any video or narrative (detailing when/how the measurement is captured) on a record pass being measured for deviation, that would be interesting to see.
The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Comments

• DragoDrago Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    It is measured all the way down, a record will not be approved without video
    Fast and offsiding is bad, but doesn't provide an "advantage" to the skier.
    Too much deviation either way will not make you a popular driver
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    Horton
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    @Drago, if it is measured all the way down the course, it seems impossible to avoid a 20 cm variance before even buoy 1. Let's say the driver is off by just 2 cm and assume a sampling frequency of every 1 foot the boat travels linearly through the course. After you are in the course for 11 feet, your cumulative deviation is already 22 cm - out of tolerance. The 49 cm total would be eclipsed at just 25 feet into the course. If the sampling frequency is even more than every foot, then you are out of tolerance even faster.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,188 Mega Baller
    Its the peak deviation at each buoy. Obviously, it can't be done the way @MISkier described because we have had records approved.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,097
    Deviation is measured at the plane of the gate and buoy.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

MISkier
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    Thanks @BoneHead. Does that also imply that any significant deviation outside of that measurement plane is ignored? The example would be a hard hit that the driver struggled to resist or correct. The boat could be outside of that 20 cm deviation, but not at the boat guide/buoy location.