Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHAT TO DO WITH OLD SKIS

bananaronbananaron Posts: 303 Crazy Baller
I have many old skis and this is one way to put them to use.You could have several in the house if the wife would allow it!!
Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
PacManKimbymonoldjeepWishNandoKillerMateo_VargasBMG73kingshreddLanceHCookskialexbishop8950Zmanjetpilotg4scorban2JonBDWvernonreeveBulldogmmosley899jercranesunnshinneigkyanikandsteveswc5150Skoot1123

Comments

• PacManPacMan Posts: 65 Baller
    This is just what I've been looking for! My parents have gone nuts collecting old skis this will put them to good use thanks!
    If your not having fun your not doing it right.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,961 Mega Baller
    That is awesome. Nice work.
    Mark Shaffer
  • AjskierAjskier Posts: 93 Baller
    @wish how does the long board slalom ski ride? Is it squirrely?
  • WishWish Posts: 7,831 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Not mine and the guy on it got away before I could ask to take a ride. But conventional wisdom would suggest you have to plan a turn well in advance and hope you have enough room. :D
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,576 Mega Baller
    Love the chair, really well done.
    FYI, I have a buddy that was a high level hockey player, very good athlete, had a little mishap on a proper longboard and dang near killed himself. Careful out there kids
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • JetsetrJetsetr Posts: 321 Solid Baller
    Those are ALL very cool...anyone have some donor wood skis? My GF’s 14 yr old son is getting into woodworking and just finished some slat chairs in the same style...he would have fun with skis...
    sunnshinne
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 304 Solid Baller
    edited November 2018
    Here are the adirondack chairs a professional woodworker friend of mine made for me. I had researched the design of waterski adirondack chairs and came up with my own design by taking the best attributes of several designs that I saw on the Internet. Another friend of mine had a pair of the most comfortable adirondack chairs that I had ever sat in so we borrowed one to copy every aspect of the ergonomics (e.g. seat height, length, angle, backrest angle, armrest height etc.) to ensure we'd end up with something that's not only cool to look at but very comfortable to sit in as well.

I sent the plans and donor skis to my woodworker friend and a couple weeks later he returned with what you see below. Being the consumate professional and perfectionist that he is, he went way beyond what I had asked for. For example, my design had three intact ski tips making up the backrest; the two outside ones angled in a bit and the middle one flat to give the backrest an approximation of curvature. Well, he couldn't produce something that simple and spent a considerable amount of time making very straight and precise lengthwise cuts to the backrest ski tips to make the seats incredibly ergonomic and comfortable. I know almost nothing about woodworking but I think those cuts were very hard to make so perfectly straight and precise on a table saw given the curvature of the ski tips. I was both surprised and ecstatic at the result and am extremely proud to own these chairs and show them off to my guests.

You might notice that on the one chair we didn't have enough skis left to make the chair entirely out of skis so he put in SOLID MAHOGANY planks on the seat base and front legs. He chose mahogany both for the look and its high resistance to water and weathering.

I can take anything apart
    slowALPJrDaveDZman
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 593 Water Ski Industry Professional
    edited November 2018

My grandson sitting in a ski chair at The Boathouse at Disney Springs, they have several...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    slowSteven_HainesWaterSkier12
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 268 Baller
    He is hilarious!!!😜
  • ToddFToddF Posts: 552 Solid Baller
    Not nearly as fancy but I made this bench about ten years ago
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 303 Crazy Baller
    MY relaxing chair in the family room and some of my old skis in the boathouse......

Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
    Zmanswc5150
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 283 Baller
    Way cool old Mach 1 there @bananaron . I have mine from 1974 that I bought for $100 when I was 15 and was chasing buoys in Wisc, MN, IL. Great boathouse decorations!
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 304 Solid Baller
    You can also create art with them. This is my collage du Connelly...

I can take anything apart
    Cooper_TrelawneyALPJrbananaron