When was the last time you purchased a new prop for your boat?

HortonHorton Posts: 31,402 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

When was the last time you purchased a new prop for your boat? 158 votes

Never
36%
HortonskibugslowToddAKillerThan_BoganLeonLJohnNJordanlundbergdvskiingPatMchris_loganscuppersNandoIlivetoskimbabiashdavid_skiaussiemctdusin 57 votes
5 or more years
21%
Dekethagerski6jonesmlangeChef23vtjcbrodytru-jacklpskierraynjayskidbskiDsullygregyThe_MSZmanSkiOrDieSkoot1123ALPJrBraceMaker 34 votes
2 to 4 years ago
22%
auskiertsixamdislandA_BSkiRVrawlyLZywicki1KelvinbajaskiinxsJackQDacon62VONMANescmanazepaulallycatwilecoyoteLarsoldjeepbassfooter 36 votes
In the last year or so
19%
DWscotchipmanwaterskicoreyEdmundDragoJody_SealUWSkierswc5150TaperflexbananaronellenmToddFaupatkingBill22GolfguybikesrusjpattigrJWebSkiSki_DadMike Gile 31 votes

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,882 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    2 to 4 years ago
    Typically buy a spare when I get a new boat and then just have them repaired unless i do a really good job of boogering them up. Propmd is local and can work miracles.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,374 Mega Baller
    5 or more years
    Always buy a spare.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    MDB1056
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 771 Crazy Baller
    5 or more years
    I have 3 spares, two Acme and an OJ.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,673 Mega Baller
    In the last year or so
    Mount spare and Repair unless it's pretty totaled (Lake Powell is unforgiving). Average one every 5 yrs-ish
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,305 Mega Baller
    2 to 4 years ago
    Bought an ACME 668 when Nautique started using them for the 6.0L 200s. Also have a couple of older ACME 422s that got dinged up and had them recupped to match the 668 when repaired.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,619 Crazy Baller
    Never
    '08 196. Original 422.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • h2onhkh2onhk Posts: 353 Crazy Baller
    In the last year or so
    A new prop or freshly rebuilt prop is like driving a car with a brand new set of high dollar tires. So smooth you kick yourself for not changing it out earlier
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,494 Mega Baller
    2 to 4 years ago
    @dvskier 3 spares, I am concerned
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    Killer
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,881 Mega Baller
    5 or more years
    What I wanna know is what did @Horton do to his prop?
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 675 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    2 to 4 years ago
    I have a large assortment of stock and tweaked props, but bought the three blade jump prop a couple years ago for jump. Phenomenanal combination with the 6.2, on the 200, but never even tried with the '19 Ski Nautique. It is so crazy strong with the 6.2 it doesn't really need the 3 blade.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,915 Mega Baller
    5 or more years
    Ive never roasted a prop on a DD. Our lake gets to about 4 feet before the docks do you have to be a real turd to roast a prop.
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 771 Crazy Baller
    5 or more years
    @disland 3 spares as a result of living on public water hitting semi submerged objects randomly. I should probably have sold some of them but they are sentimental. They all have a story.
  • PatMPatM Posts: 830 Crazy Baller
    Never
    I bent one prop about 15 years ago. It is now hanging on my wall under an old ski platform which I use as a bar
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,763 Mega Baller
    edited November 2018
    In the last year or so
    Last year I got an OJ 13 x 11.5 just to have a spare. Wow! Put it on my Lx with 5.7 and it has a better hole shot for short setups.

Edit: new prop vs. non-CNC 13 x 12. And I didn’t loose any on the top end due to added performance of a CNC prop, still getting 46-47mph GPS speed.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,305 Mega Baller
    2 to 4 years ago
    My son won the classic crash award at the 2017 NCWSA nationals. His award was a bent prop from Bennett's.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 839 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2018
    2 to 4 years ago
    Went from a 4 blade 13x13 on my previous 2001 response 325hp monsoon to a 3 blade Acme 515(think it was a 13x12). Better grunt and also better top end 47mph from 45. And sooo smooth. Very happy with the choice.
    ZmanBill22
    In the last year or so
    It would be interesting to know how many Ballers have upgraded to a CNC prop, kept the same diameter & pitch and seen an increase in performance? Hole shot, max speed, less vibration, overall smoothness or possibly wake?
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 522 Crazy Baller
    2 to 4 years ago
    @Bill22 I “upgraded” a year or two ago. ‘94 MC PS205. Goal was better -22 hump, not that it’s terrible to start with. Don’t care about hole shot, top speed, Rpms, etc. I’m honestly not sure the goal was accomplished, my old prop was maybe 12 or 12.5” diameter and made a great wake. Better than my 13” “stock” backup prop. It was reworked though and the cup or other stuff could have been off a bit? I told myself it’s better since I spent the $$$. I found 3 blade to be better -22 than 4 blade, tried both.
    I for sure noticed the smooth ness and hole shot / pull up were much better. I think it runs 100 or so lower rpms at 34, don’t recall exactly.
    The smoothness is worth it in my mind, especially if your current prop is not perfect.
    Bill22
    2 to 4 years ago
    "upgraded" to a CNC prop? How old is your prop that there is some option other than CNC?
    Chuck P
    In the last year or so
    I bought the ‘01 boat used and it was on the boat when I got it. Just based off how it looks I don’t think it’s a cnc (no groves on the blades).

When did CNC become standard? You know there are a lot of guy’s still enjoying early 90’s boats.
    edited November 2018
    In the last year or so
    @oldjeep also last time I looked at the OJ website you could still buy the classic Legend (non-CNC) prop. They must still offer it for those guys that want to save a few pennies.

Edit: “The original LEGEND is a design handed down from the originator, Oscar Johnson. This hand crafted 3-blade has been a consistent performer for many years. The LEGEND 3-blade is still a popular choice for its performance and affordability.”
    2 to 4 years ago
    Never owned an oj prop. Every acme I've seen is cnc, but I don't really mess with anything but malibu and axis boats.
    Chuck P
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,629 Mega Baller
    5 or more years
    Called Eric at OJ
    In the last year or so
    @oldjeep I assume when my boat was new it had a Acme 515 CNC.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,402 Administrator
    Never
    @zman nothing

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

Zman
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 522 Crazy Baller
    2 to 4 years ago
    @oldjeep Did you miss the ‘94 boat mention? Prop was at least 10-15 years old but ran smooth and wake was nice so why change...
  • jercranejercrane Posts: 383 Crazy Baller
    In the last year or so
    Less than 20 hours on the new SN 200 this past summer and my wife put it into a sandbar.

So now I have a spare.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,915 Mega Baller
    5 or more years
    Dont you hate it when your "wife" puts your "prop" into a "sandbar".

Not when you just slip it into gear on tbe trailer to see what happens ;) .
    edited November 2018
    2 to 4 years ago
    @jercrane - did the same thing to my Malibu the first day I ever used it. We had gone out super early in the spring before all the markers were in the lake. I drove it over a rock onto a mudbar in one of the channels and then had to back over the rock to get out after a bunch of failed pushing. It was a long drive back to the launch at about 4 MPH.

Prop guy did an awesome job on it even though I had messed up the leading and trailing edges of every blade.

Chuck P
    jercrane
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,355 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    5 or more years
    The last prop I dinged was on a turtle right in the middle of the slalom course.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly