Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we closer to an electric tow boat?

HortonHorton Posts: 27,743 Administrator
I have been reading about new electric cars and trucks plus old cars converted to electric. Correct Craft did a one-off 10+ years ago. Seems like batteries and motors required must be getting closer to being commodities. Anyone know anything?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Obrienslalom

Comments

• Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,060 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited November 2018
    not to be a turd but what for? One could never save money. Most skiers don’t hurt for more money. And we’ll never get on the good side of tree huggers as we destroy land by building lakes and destroy lakes by creating a wake near some vegetation.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,424 Mega Baller
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    escmanaze
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,743 Administrator
    @oldjeep looks like that one-off Nautique. Any idea if they have done more?

@Orlando76 the ski world is going to ever bigger and more expensive combustion engines. The auto industry is moving electric. At some point maybe electric boats are practical. Really just asking the question.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 940 Crazy Baller
    I remember that Nautique. I know the batteries didn’t last that long if I remember right? Either way, as long as it pulls me down the lake It doesn’t matter what is powering it:) however not sure with power that we need with high RPM/MPH if they would make them last long enough? Cars are just different.
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,185 Crazy Baller
    There has to be some risk having that much battery on water...
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,781 Mega Baller
    There really hasn't been any news about the CC/PCM electric acquisition since July- http://www.correctcraft.com/?s=p220

For slalom skiing pick your poison - HP/RPM is readily available their stinking SUV out accelerates lambos over short distances - what I think is going to be a handicap is that you basically have two different realities even with electric cars - There is Tesla which is trying to "in house" its manufacturing and control all aspects of their manufacturing costs and therefore has the best margin - but then again has finally just showed a profit (but is massively in the hole), and you have other companies like Daimler who claim electric cars to be about half as profitable as the models they replace. Daimler for instance thinks that it will take about 10 years for the market to adjust for their vehicles to reach the same margins as the IC cars have. Daimler for reference ~80 billion equity... Tesla -4 billion.

What that tells me in re: tow boats - I'm really not sure... If you evaluate how we use energy, the best option for three event ski boats is probably just to exempt them. We're such a small niche field I'd wager we contribute more pollution designing a change than is recouped by the improvement....
    vtjcShark
    I imagine wake or surf boats will go electric first. They push so much water and need so much power. A 6.2 is not a big engine in surf. What I wonder is when we're talking about the cost of supercharged 6.2 if that doesn't get us in the realm of electric being economical.

bishop8950
    Wake boat would be pretty useless as an electric unless you can power it for 8 hours. They operate many more hours in a day than a ski tug.
    Chuck P
    E_TShark
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
    if aint broke , why fix it. i see no benefit . i rather drag gas cans down to my dock. if i forget to to refill , i can be up and running asap. forget to plug in, day is shot .
  • ralral Posts: 1,708 Mega Baller
    @LoopSki , not so much with a fast charger.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 915 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2018
    Nautique electric drive already exists in Europe for GS20 wakeboat.
    550 lb-ft instant torque!
    Pony up the $$$!
    So yes, definitely on the horizon; potentailly huge application.
    Talk about a flat speed curve pull...

Competitor - Epic Boats:

RAWSkiandjulesjetpilotg4
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 819 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2018
    Today was my first day of marketing for an electric fuel cell client. I'll see what I can do :p
    jcampThan_BoganwilecoyoteKeith Menard
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,194 Mega Baller
    edited November 2018
    Weight is a major factor I'd imagine, but it'd be really cool to be able to place the battery weight wherever you want it as a manufacturer. Also wouldn't need the doghouse to be nearly as large or as long, freeing up tons of interior space.

For slalom tug on a private lake, I think it'd definitely make sense. For wake sports, not so much. Those guys ride forever, never get tired, and burn WAAAAY more gas doing their stuff (much higher energy consumption).
  • SethroSethro Posts: 272 Solid Baller
    The interior space is not desirable in that electric SN196 that keeps being referenced...judging by the link @oldjeep posted. I wouldn't even consider it based on that alone if that's how a production boat was offered.
  • DWDW Posts: 2,021 Mega Baller
    Just my .02 cents, there will need to be much higher electric automotive powered market penetration or market share for the transition on the water sports boats application to be economically realistic. The personal boat market uses automotive developed powertrains after all the R&D has been spent to keep costs viable. Realize that the marinizers actually more than double the cost of the base engine just to convert it to marine use, which must means the base IC engine is very affordable. Consider how much feedback is on this site simply on the cost of new towboats and the availability of cheap fuel in the US (largest market) are significant challenges.

Are we closer, certainly and there will be more offerings coming although I think there will be several one offs before one really gets mass produced. Makes way more sense to happen in Europe first given the disparity in fuel costs.
    Bruce_ButterfieldThan_Boganski6jones
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 302 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2018
    @UWSkier That is a very good point that I neglected to factor into my calculations. So we could get perhaps a dozen sets out of a Tesla-battery setup. I still stand by my weight calculations, however...

So, let’s see what we could do for the same amount of weight. If we put in a 200 lbs electric motor that would leave 550 lbs left for battery. My battery weight to kWh math shows that each kWh costs 14.12 lbs of battery. That allows us to drop in a 39 kWh battery. Let’s round that up to 40...

UWSkier and I have determined a slalom set costs 6.74 kWh (20% of 33.7). We could get almost six sets before the batteries are drained. That is pretty good and could definitely work for a private lake / personal setup where you and a few friends get in some skiing before going to work or at the end of the day. Pretty cool! It would not work for tournaments, ski schools or clubs where six sets is just getting started.
    GloersenRednucleus
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 302 Crazy Baller
    @Gloersen Wow! 6X the energy density and 5X faster charging would be exactly the step change I suggested was needed to really push things along.
  • E_TE_T Posts: 607 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    Hard pass. Flux capacitor ftw
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
    adkh2oskierSo_I_Ski
  • MichaelGoodmanMichaelGoodman Posts: 143 Baller
    @Gloersen hope you are right seems like we have been real
    close to new battery technology before that never ends up
    happening.
  • HighAltitudeHighAltitude Posts: 145 Baller
    My lake is at 7000 ft and we have plenty of sun here in Colorado. It would be so nice to not prop down and still get full power. An electric boat is probably the only reason I will ever sell my 200.
    escmanaze
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,781 Mega Baller
    @HighAltitude have 220 200 amp service at your lake?
    So what I'm hearing is that for the .00001% of boaters who live on a private ski ditch this would be an awesome idea. (That would be if they were not still mostly driving old nautiques)

So, just for grins at what price would an electric boat still be desirable? You're looking at 100K for a regular gas powered boat based on readily available parts. Figure an electric boat in the ultra low volume that they would be produced in would be double?
    Chuck P
    @oldjeep no smart buyer pays near 100k

KRoundy
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,060 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I just can’t imagine manufacturers already spending the additional R&D to offer us a gas vs electric option. Supposedly they barely break even as it is.