Stance: Skiing vs Surfing

fu_manfu_man Posts: 511 Crazy Baller
I went surfing earlier this week. (The proper way. At a beach, not behind a boat.) It was awesome! I ski RFF and ended up the same way on the surf board. Didn't put much thought into it, that's just the way it happened. Apparently this is "goofy-footed" in the surf world. It worked pretty well for me. The direction of the wave meant I was on my toes rather than on my heels which felt pretty automatic.

In skiing the front foot dominates. In surfing apparently this is not necessarily the case. I could be wrong about this; I'm a complete noob at surfing. For those of you that surf, do you ski and surf with the same foot forward?

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    I don’t surf but I snowboard and grew up skateboarding and I do those LFF the same as I ski.
    Mark Shaffer
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,885 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ski, surf, wakeboard and snowboard left foot forward. Having your right foot forward is goofy no matter what sport you are doing 😁
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Shark503Kento
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 398 Crazy Baller
    I surf LFF same as I ski. Much like you I didn't think about it - I just did it. IMO when I use my upper body with either sport - bad things happen. I also find that with surfing I need to be more aware of an actual heel-side and toe-side.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,439 Mega Baller
    Water ski LFF. Snowboard RFF. Surf RFF. Skateboard LFF.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Kimbymon
  • JetsetrJetsetr Posts: 497 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    RFF for everything....
    Kimbymonmike_mapple
  • Bookm_danoBookm_dano Posts: 102 Baller
    Learned to surf first.. LFF; Slalom skiing several years later, did it same way.
    With surfing it makes a difference which way the wave breaks. Right hand break (as seen from rider's view) seemed easier to ride LFF because you're facing the wave and can see what's going on. When you're on a 'backside' wave, you're looking over your shoulder to see what the wave is doing. Some guys were 'switch foot' ...something I never mastered.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,754 Mega Baller
    Used to ski with a really good surfer. Same foot forward. The key was breaking the "steering" with his back foot. Ran 28 his first year skiing
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    radarboy32
  • HallpassHallpass Posts: 250 Crazy Baller
    Ski RFF. Surf, LFF. LFF also dominant for wakeboarding. (Also kick a football right foot, but punt a football left foot :) )
    Than_Bogan
  • MidvkskiMidvkski Posts: 9 Baller
    Ski LFF, surf, wakeboard, snowboard RFF. Sounds familiar MIskier
    MISkier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,399 Administrator
    edited January 2019
    After a lifetime of skiing I surfed for a couple of winters in the late 90s. I ski RFF so it just made sense to learn to surf RFF

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

• radarboy32radarboy32 Posts: 27 Baller
    Most people I've seen do it the same both ways. As you said, in skiing, the front foot dominates turning. In surfing, however, you push the back foot around to "skid" across the wave. Almost like drifting a car.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,314 Mega Baller
    Ski LFF, skateboard and wakeboard RFF. Pretty sure I'd surf RFF also, although never have.
    Carl Addington, Cedar Ridge, MS
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,607 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I ski RFF, and everything else LFF. I always thought that was odd.
    Scott Calderwood
  • JoepruncJoeprunc Posts: 315 Baller
    Yes, regular footed for all sports. Surfing your back foot is your power foot....that's why I suck and skiing.
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,453 Mega Baller
    LFF slalom skiing. RFF surfing and skating. Left-leg dominant except when kicking a soccer ball, then I'm right-leg dominant. An in-line stance and a toe/heel stance have nothing to do with each other.

Now, snow skiing, that's a whole different deal - I'm RFF and I turn better on my heelside except in the southern hemisphere where I reverse everything.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    bajaShark
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 391 Crazy Baller
    LFF on all things water, but RFF on the mountain bike for some reason
    jimbrakeShark
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 245 Crazy Baller
    LFF on my skateboard, but RFF when I knee board .......... go figure.
    thagerMateo_Vargas
  • SharkShark Posts: 20 Baller
    LFF for everything. BTW, surfing is the hardest sport I've ever tried.
    jimbrake
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 707 Crazy Baller
    I still surf down stairways in public buildings RFF. Learned it at k-12 schools and never stopped. Need slippery shoes.
    Home of the world's first submersible slalom course
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,607 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I ski RRF, but LFF for everything else (skateboard, snowboard, surf, etc)
    Scott Calderwood
  • Fastguy888Fastguy888 Posts: 121 Baller
    I slalom waterski RFF but skate, surf, wakeboard, snowboard, skimmboard all LFF. To me it seems natural, my dominate foot is in the place doing the most work. I once tried LFF Slalom as I think its an advantage on the course; my feet felt fine but my upper body and hands were very confused, back to RFF waterskiing.

On a side note, living in Southern California it's on my bucket list to surf early am, waterski mid-morning and snow ski afternoon all on the same day.