Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show off your Vintage Skis

DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 304 Solid Baller
edited January 22 in Skis Fins Bindings
I hope that those of you who own some cool old vintage skis will show them off to us in this thread. I have a small collection of vintage skis at my cabin that I intend to show off here and I hope that some of you may enjoy seeing them. Where appropriate, I'll point out some of the interesting things about the ski(s) and their history.

Today, I'll start off with part of my small but nice collection of vintage 1970s inlaid mahogany Connelly slalom skis. Here's part of the collection displayed together on the wall of my cabin as an "objet d' art".

Here's a closeup of the cluster. The top and bottom skis have had some restoration work done on them. They came to me with a few dents and dings so I had my friend the master craftsman woodoworker do some work on them and he did a terrific job. I decided to leave the bindings off of them to show off more of the amazing inlay work on the skis.

The ski in the middle, however, is a different story. It came to me in mint original condition. It's virtually flawless and has had no work done to it whatsover so it's completely original in every way. If it was ever used, it must've only been once or twice and very carefully at that. There aren't even any scratches on the base. I just took it out of the bag, wiped some fingerprints off of it and put it up on the wall. For a ski that old, it's pretty rare (and lucky) to find one in unused condition.

Below is a picture of the base of that middle ski. As you can see, it's in perfect condition. It also has a very unusual inlay pattern on the underside of the tip. I've been watching every auction on these skis that comes up on eBay for the last few years and I'm yet to see another ski that has an inlay pattern like that under the tip. Usually it's just a stripe or two of yellow cedar on the underside of the tip. The pointy rounded tip is also a lot less common than the blunt tipped skis Connelly mostly made during that era.

Anyways, I feel pretty fortunate to have found that ski and to own it. It's a beautiful relic of a bygone era.
I can take anything apart
mfjaegersrCamskibrainJetsetrKimbymonwilecoyoteh2onhkBulldogSharkShakeski

Comments

• 75Tique75Tique Posts: 74 Baller
    edited January 22
    Don't really have any vintage skis to show, except perhaps the ubiquitous Dick Pope Jr slalom ski that I think pretty much every ski enthusiast on the planet has. (not mine - "stock" photo)

Although I dont consider it vintage (it was just a few years ago, right) I am sure the younger crowd here would think my early 80's HO Mach 1 is vintage. Skis I would like to have on the wall but dont are my original wood Northland Custom Slalom, long ago lost, my first (and a lot of other folks too, I would imagine) "real" ski, the
    silver blue and green Obrien world team. I never owned the next step up, the pretty black with white spray Obrien competitor.

For me, back in the day, that was my wish list ski. I also have no connection with, but like the looks of the red blue and silver Obrien Mach 1.
    “So, how was your weekend?”
    “Well, let me see…sun burn, stiff neck, screwed up back, assorted aches and pains….yup, my weekend was great, thanks for asking.”
    EljaybeeBulldogFatPierreJohnbrannan
  • DobrodanDobrodan Posts: 13 Baller
    I have the same Mastercraft/Lapoint ski - even the same side. Got it from Jennifer Leachman. I skied on it for a really long time. Great ski.
  • ryans1418ryans1418 Posts: 18 Baller
    My Dads old Connelly Shortline 2.
    aupatkingBulldog
  • mfjaegersrmfjaegersr Posts: 152 Baller
    Love the Hooks, @DangerBoy !

Put these up on the Wall a few weeks ago, part of the home Gym motivational makeover. I’ve been thinking of restoring the Torque; you just fanned that flame!

DangerBoyShakeski
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 304 Solid Baller
    edited January 22
    Here's the pride and joy of my Connelly collection. This one came to me with some damage on one side along the top edge somewhere near the tip or just a little ways back. Again, my friend the master craftsman wood worker did a fantastic job of repairing and restoring the ski. You can't even tell where the damage was! He does high-end custom inlayed hardwood floors for a living so doing this sort of exacting meticulous woodwork is easy for him. I trade him time at my cabin for his work. Fortunately for me, he loves it at my cabin!

Again, I chose to leave the bindings off to show of more of the unbelievably intricate inlay work on this ski. IMO this inlay pattern was the most stunning and beautiful that Connelly ever produced. I think if I had owned this ski when it was new I wouldn't have wanted to ski on it for fear of damaging what I consider to be more of a work of art than a waterski.

Pat MShakeski
    edited January 23
    Here are a couple more that are in my collection.

The pair to the left are shown below. I'm pretty sure they are circa 1960 or 61. They are Penn Craft Whirlaways and they're solid mahogany. Their bottoms are quite rockered and they have no fins. The idea being you could spin around on them and go backwards or sideways or whatever as implied by the tip graphics. I just look at them and see a million ways to tear yourself apart doing the splits and whatnot. The funny thing is they're in absolute original mint condition. If they were ever used it couldn't have been more than once or twice. They were advertised on eBay as an "estate sale boathouse find". My theory is that the original owner bought them thinking they'd be heaps of fun and then either injured or scared themselves so badly on the first run or two they were immediately relagated to the boathouse rafters and never saw the light of day again for 55 years until being sold with a bunch of other old stuff in an estate sale. Now they adorn the walls of the TV room in my cabin and make me smile. :)

The pair to the right above the TV are from either the 50s or 60s. Maybe someone can chime in here and help me narrow it down a bit? They are Elgins, made for Simpsons Sears and Simpsons. They hark back to the time when outboards were in their heyday and many major department stores (e.g. Simpson Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc.) had their own in-house brands of outboard motors. Simpson-Sears outboards were Elgins and these skis were sold under the same brand name.

These skis were certainly used but are are in very nice condition. The graphics are great, I just love them. I removed the fins for easier mounting and display.

BulldogCooper_TrelawneyEljaybee
  • TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 53 Baller
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,589 Mega Baller
    I actually gave my last vintage ski to one of my ski buddies that was looking to complete his collection of old skis that he’s owned.

EP Super 2 - circa 1980

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • BjkeslerBjkesler Posts: 19 Baller

I bought the taper flex ski as a young teenager. it was going to be the greatest new tech. mahogany core with formica top and bottom. really didn't fly. That was just before Obrien started building tunnel skis. Bought my first Obrien ski for $59.00.
    DangerBoyEljaybee
  • NandoNando Posts: 525 Crazy Baller
    @Jody_Seal- love that CG Ricky McCormick Trick-Master- from when boards were really boards!
    mfjaegersr
  • PacManPacMan Posts: 65 Baller

If your not having fun your not doing it right.
    Cooper_TrelawneyDangerBoyMinAquaBatSkierEljaybee
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 409 Crazy Baller

Eljaybee
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Anyone with some AquaSport skis to show? They made top jumpers in the era of wooden skis. Don't think they stuck around when composite skis came in, starting in the late 1960s.
    Also, their founder/owner Larry Brown died relatively early.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,496 Crazy Baller
    @lpskier I like all those vintage EP skis. Nice.
    edited January 26
    Here's another part of my collection. These are in a kids bedroom that I call the "rocket room" because of the rocket themed waterskis displayed in them. I think these pairs are from the late 50s or very early 60s but maybe someone here can help me fix the date with more certainty. Anyone?

The skis in both of these pairs are heavy and about 7 feet long. The red rocket Sea Gliders pair make me chuckle. The bindings are set quite far back and the rear pocket on the slalom ski is set way far back; almost at the tail of the ski. The fin on the slalom ski was huge. It was thick metal about 6" deep and weighed a ton. With all this weight so far back on the ski, the skier had to be doing a wheelie the whole time. I can't imagine what it would've been like to try and slalom on that thing. It had to have been very tricky.

Canbar Clippers

Sea Gliders

Eljaybee
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 612 Crazy Baller
    edited January 27
    The collection that hangs on our great room wall. I have skied on 3 of the 4 . Decades ago . Might be time to try the "wake special" next season. (Bottom ski - wide and long).

DangerBoyCooper_TrelawneyDaveDEljaybee
    @RAWSki Love the skis especially the wake special. B)
    edited January 28
    This one's from around '74 I think (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's also pretty rare as far as I can tell or at least they're hard to find. From the company that brought you those burgundy colored utility balls we all played with in school, the AMF Voit Dragon.

LanceHCookEljaybee
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 393 Solid Baller

DangerBoyZmanskialexEljaybee
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,496 Crazy Baller
    @Booze Awesome collection! No wonder you're so good! You've skied a lot of skis!
  • OldGuysRuleOldGuysRule Posts: 94 Baller
    This pair of Kimball water skis came from my dentist as a gift. I believe they were the first fiberglass water skis. I did put them on and skied around lake a few years ago.
    Cooper_TrelawneyEljaybeemelissamahar
  • OldGuysRuleOldGuysRule Posts: 94 Baller
    I think this Kimball fiberglass slalom ski is dated 1957. Note the huge fin.

Eljaybee