Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Mapple had been born 30 years later, would he be kicking Nate’s ass?

HortonHorton Posts: 27,852 Administrator
edited February 7 in News & Other Stuff
if Mapple had been born 30 years later, would he be kicking Nate’s ass, making Nate the modern equivalent of Wade Cox?

NOTE: I can not take credit for this poll. the question comes from my text messages this morning.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

If Mapple had been born 30 years later, would he be kicking Nate’s ass? 140 votes

Yes Mapple would be schooling Smith
37%
HortonskidawgDekethagerJCHslowToddARichardDoaneBruce_ButterfieldSteven_HainesForrestGumpAlvin_NeffAdamCordDanEbrodydave2ballJody_Sealralskier2788Pat M 53 votes
No Smith would be on top
17%
dislandA_BjimbrakematthewbrownGarnBulldogeyepeelerskiboynyjayskidvskiingscuppersmbabiashOne_SkiallycatCReckardozskiBooRadleykingshreddDanohemlock 25 votes
It would be skiing's version of "unstoppable force meets an immovable object"
44%
ISP6ballski6jonesmlangeskibugscotchipmanChef23waterskicoreyskibrainPSMJohn BrooksKelvinThan_BoganDragoEd_JohnsonlpskierskiinxsigkyaMarkTimmskinutJordan 62 votes

Comments

• jcampjcamp Posts: 794 Mega Baller
    Not to take anything away from Nate, but Mapple had that drive, single-mindedness and freakish fitness level that no matter who was skiing against him, he'd figure out a way to beat them.
    Than_BoganDanEForrestGump
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 394 Solid Baller
    Yeah, Andy was an incredible talent, athlete, and competitor. But so is Nate, and he has refined a technique and style that is unconventional and very effective at 41/43, to say the least.
    Yeah, option #3.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,270 Mega Baller
    Put them both on Lake Robin and it’s Mapple all day every day
    Shut up and ski
    DanERAWSkiE_T
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,476 Mega Baller
    @jcamp kinda stole my thunder. But my personal guess is that Nate is considerably more "gifted" -- which would just push Mapple and he'd find a way to catch up because of exactly the things @jcamp mentioned. Thus a toss-up in the end.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    jcampGaryWilkinson
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,799 Mega Baller
    Does mapple get the benefits of his 30 years of ski development
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,852 Administrator
    @BraceMaker yes.

• skier2788skier2788 Posts: 735 Crazy Baller
    Hands down Mapple. The guy skied into 41 at Moomba at the age of 50 or 51. You take 30 years off that and he would be winning everything.
    Travis Torley
    DanEbrody
  • HallpassHallpass Posts: 150 Solid Baller
    Sexy thread title. Draws you in. I was just thinking that in reality, the term "kicking ass" is probably aggressive, regardless who might theoretically come out on top, when talking a 1/4 or 1/2 a ball at such a difficult task as 43 off. Anyway, it certainly would have been fun to watch two of the best go head to head in their primes. Doesn't seem to happen too often in any sport.
    swc5150ISP6ballRednucleus
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,141 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Nate has more 41's in tourneys than all other skiers combined...think about how many he has in practice to add to that...really freakish. Andy would be right there with him in his physical prime on modern equipment and ZO. Too close to call.

Probably some pro's who have skied with both may have a better opinion, but not want to share it.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    RazorRoss3Bill22swc5150Andre
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 329 Solid Baller
    They would push each other and probably Andy would come on top because his drive was so strong and his understanding of how the ski works etc.....Maybe CP could give some pretty accurate ideas.....
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,659
    No Smith would be on top
    Nate has lifted the bar and with all due respect to AM the data alone tells the story. Nate is anything but big and strong, he's light and fast side to side - faster than anyone and that allows him to do what he does. As good as Andy was he was a different type of skier and that type of skier is less effective today as things stand with bigger HP and modern speed control.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

jimskiswc5150randy menydvskiing
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 420 Crazy Baller
    @Hallpass agreed. At -41 or-43 no one is kicking anyone's ass. 1/2 bouy takes it.

@Mapple has 14 Masters titles and 6 worlds.
    Shut up and ski
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,263 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 8
    Nate is a generational athlete. I don't know that AM has all his titles if he were facing Nate all those years. Tom Brady is a GOAT too, but I don't think he's lifting 5 (edit 6) Lombardi's facing Troy Aikman's 'boys.
    Scott Calderwood
  • WishWish Posts: 7,857 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Andys passes looked diff in that you could tell the diff between 32 off and 39. No one stood on the shore wondering which length it was. No one ever scratched their head and wondered how he got it done at extreme shortline. No one questioned whether or not Andy did off season training. The nod would go to Nate just because all of those are in play. Efficiency is key.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    ozskiswc5150randy meny
  • MichaelGoodmanMichaelGoodman Posts: 143 Baller
    @swc5150 Make that six.
    swc5150
    @Mapple was winning titles against the very best. Cox, Jamie, CP, Willy, Lapoints, Hazelwood and a host of others.
    Shut up and ski
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,185 Crazy Baller
    Nate also has the advantage of 30 years of technique evolution. A lot of stuff that is taught today was not taught 30 years ago
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,032 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Mapple & Nate would both unsettle other skiers when they were on site, they know they have to bring their "A" game.
    However as stated I think Andy Mapples ability to apply pressure mentally and phisically put it all out there, would just put him in front of Nate.
    What a spectacle that would have been, Nate & Mapple at their peak in a Head to Head

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

@ms did you say Hazelwood? You know we are talkin about slalom? Right?

edited February 8
    Sorry, he was overall and not a threat to @Mapple
    Point being that there were some stud skiers that he had to take down at not always Slalom friendly sites that you see skiers at today.
    Shut up and ski
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,263 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Very true, but Nate's competition hasn't exactly been soft.

I agree with @Wish, I don't think anyone has ever made it look easier than Nate. He's so fluid at all lengths. Maybe that's why some say Am had the grit and determination to round that next ball versus Nate? He just doesn't really appear to have to grit out his passes, visually anyway. Those 2 head to head would've been a sight to behold for sure.
    Scott Calderwood
    randy meny
    Site conditions is something I had not thought of. Nod for sure goes to Andy if conditions are well below par. Andy competed in horrible conditions with the pro tour in its hay days. Nate has and is mostly used to ideal condition.
    swc5150
    @wish I could not disagree with you more. I'm pretty sure Nate has the site record both at Moomba and at the Masters. I don't know that he handles bad conditions better than Andy did but to say that Nate is a smooth water skier is a bit silly.

6ballsozskiJordan
    @horton depends on what you call rough conditions. There's no tour that puts skiers on public waters/rivers in front of crowds like the beer tours did. Those guys delt with rollers, backwash, wind and the like weekend after weekend. That simply does not happen these days. To point out 2 tournaments that have been in existence and skid a ton by both to me is silly. If conditions suck and Andy gets all that experience and is young, he gets the nod in my book cause he had to all the time.
    DanE
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,569 Mega Baller
    @david_ski Off topic?

@Horton @Wish Who won the stop when someone had the great idea of skiing on Lake Michigan/Navy Pier in Chicago? Whoever that was probably gets the nod for best crap water conditions skier of all time.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Jetsetr