Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low-hour '17 Prostar vs. new '19 Prostar

JbossJboss Posts: 71 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Hello,

I am looking at a 60-hour '17 Prostar and comparing it to ordering a new '19. The configs of the two boats are identical. The '17 is in immaculate condition and has three years of warranty left. My negotiated price difference is $16K between the two boats. I would like to know if the group here sees $16K as a reasonable difference. I am not familiar with the depreciation curve of the Prostar and would love to know what you all think. Also, are there any material differences between the '17 and the '19 that I should be made aware of? I have not found any in my research.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim

Comments

• skimtbskimtb Posts: 293 Baller
    The 19 will have new vinyl, Odessa.
    If the 17 has the options you want (you mention identical vs new) and colors you either like or can tolerate, I’d go for that.
    Only reason to get the 19 would be to pick your own colors or longer warranty by a bit.
    Jboss
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 735 Crazy Baller
    Think the ‘17 has the flappers exhaust while the ‘19 has the SS turned down units(optional or standard?)

Jboss
  • MarkTimmMarkTimm Posts: 110 Baller
    Not sure where you are located but you can use the 2018 for sale @ https://www.yvmarine.com in Yakima Washington as a comparison. This boat has been listed on CL for $59,999.
    Mark Timm
  • JbossJboss Posts: 71 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thank you for your feedback, everyone. I appreciate it. @Dacon62 What is the purpose of the turned-down exhaust? Love the look but what about functionality? @MarkTimm Thank you for the comparison listing. It's a good one. Decisions decisions decisions. :)
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,349 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Aren't the down turn exhaust ports just an option?
    Scott Calderwood
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,329 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Used all day long and twice on Sunday. 60 hours is nothing.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    JbossaupatkingMichaelGoodman
    @swc5150 I can't find them as an option anywhere, including the boat configurator on the Mastercraft website. It makes me wonder what other options are available that I am not seeing.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,343 Mega Baller
    @Jboss turned down exhaust tips will be quieter at idle
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Jboss
    @RichardDoane Hmmm. Me no like. I like that throaty rumble at idle. Also, after doing a little research, it looks like the downturned exhaust became standard on the Prostar in 2018.
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 735 Crazy Baller
    edited February 2019
    @Jboss I only have a comparison of my old ‘13 TXi with reg flappers vs my friends ‘14 TXi with the SS turned down exhaust as a reference.
    Both had the Indmar 350HP motor.
    My friends boat was quieter at all RPMs. Still sounded good but took the edge off the sound. Mine was more brappy. Anyways, I love the rumble of a V8 but his was less annoying, you never need to replace a flapper and it looks better.
    Jboss
  • Tonster17Tonster17 Posts: 16 Baller
    Turned down is standard from 2018 onwards
    Jboss
  • Jerry44Jerry44 Posts: 54 Baller
    I was in the same situation as you last September and I bought a '17 Prostar. I think it just boils down to this. Are you willing to take an appoximately 12k hit in the first year to have a brand new boat?

It wasn't worth it to me right now. In a few years it might be. It just depends on your situation.
    Jboss
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 675 Crazy Baller
    edited February 2019
    I remember when Malibu put SS downturn exhausts on their Responses and the boats actually became louder than with the flippers at speed .
    Can't deny the look is great but of course that's only improved when on a trailer or lift .

@Jboss you can't go wrong with either Prostar, it just depends on how long you plan to have the boat, annual usage, etc. I would lean toward the 17 . FWIW Rumor has it this is the last year for a 5.7L ProStar.
    Jboss
    Great advice, guys. Thank you. I am seriously leaning toward the '17. I'm deciding this week for sure. I'll post pics if I go with the '17.
    FraserEljaybee
  • gapullingapullin Posts: 23 Baller
    Personally I prefer the cost savings of a two year old boat. Furthermore, I have a 2017, it's been a good model, and the year was generally reliable. Prostar have generally held their value well. The boat mates perfectly with the 5.7.
    EljaybeeJboss
    edited February 2019
    FYI, if you buy the '17, you have 14 days to get the warranty transfer docs sent in, and don't forget to include the $500 fee. This is assuming you're buying from the original owner, as the warranty can only be transferred once (at 60 hours I'm guessing original owner).
    Scott Calderwood
  • jayskijayski Posts: 899 Mega Baller
    If you want to wait till fall I'll have a '19 for you that will make that spread not so large
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,803 Administrator
    @Jboss oh I was considering those exact colors for my 2020 boat. That thing looks awesome you're going to love it.
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

edited February 2019
    @Jboss wait a minute Liquid Edge? Is that Doug Meeker's dealership? Oh! I don't know if I would do business with that guy :-)

Great looking boat!! Congrats!!
    Scott Calderwood
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 339 Crazy Baller
    @MarkTimm I thought you were buying the creamsicle.
  • LakeOneSkierLakeOneSkier Posts: 276 Baller
    Liquid Edge/Doug Meeker rule. I gladly drive a 4 hour round trip just for a 15 minute set with him. :smiley:
    Baller Index: -31.67
    The_MSHortonBulldog
    Jokes aside - I spent Nationals week with Doug last year. Great guy.

• powbmpspowbmps Posts: 132 Baller
    Beautiful boat! Nice to have the racks on both sides.
    Rednucleus
    Yeah, Doug seems like a super nice guy. Super knowledgeable too. Great combo.
    Horton