Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Denali is 65 inch?

ConPexErConPexEr Posts: 22 Baller
edited February 11 in Skis Fins Bindings
Is this a typo????? 65" length tip to tail - for all sizes 2 Widths available (initially) - Medium and Large

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,464 Mega Baller
    I don't have any major inside info on this ski, but I'm reasonably sure that is not a typo.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,268 Mega Baller
    edited February 12
    Walls of giant spray? That is the only thing that matters. Who ever asked “what size ski was that?”. I mean, really
    adamhcaldwellBill22WaterSkier12ski6jones
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 849 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Super size me!
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    drew
  • adamhcaldwelladamhcaldwell Posts: 570 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @mjnelson - what specifically do you compare?

Something to consider....
    A long enough 2x4 can have similar surface are as a short 2x6.

Just looking at raw surface area seems to be a useless metric IMO when comparing skis from one brand to another.

If you had a breakdown of surface area for different segments, perhaps, 0-17”, 17-25”, 25-33”, 33-41” and 41-48”, then you MIGHT have something worth comparing between brands.

• AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 746 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @mjnelson @scotchipman do you know how Radar/Goode come up with those surface area numbers? Is that the entire running surface below the flash line, or is that a 2D representation of the profile shape?
    JordanThan_Boganballsohard
    I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm assuming nobody counts the top of the ski for surface area, but then that requires defining a boundary for exactly what constitutes the bottom. That wouldn't matter if the difference between sizes were say 100 sq in, but given that it's more like 10, it seems agreement on this would be key for this number to have any meaning at all. (And it still might not...)
    AdamCord
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,741 Administrator
    @scotchipman we are nearing the point where if you bring this up again I am going to be forced to ban you.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

jayskiDragoForrestGump
  • WishWish Posts: 7,834 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    How is surface area (or length for that matter) going to help anyone knowing that ALL other ski design elements from flex to bevels to rocker can make that number meaningless. Why not just relay on what the manufacture suggests? They built it, so one would assume they know their stuff.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    jimskidrew
    @mjnelson if I ban @scotchipman I will ban you also for helping him ask dumb questions.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,254 Mega Baller
    @Horton at a minimum you need to toss some Pandas at him
    Shut up and ski
    jayski
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 746 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited February 21
    @Than_Bogan totally agree about length.

For Example:
    Most ski sizes cover about a 30 pound range, which means a 150lb person might ride a 66, while a 180lb person might ride a 67.

150 to 180 lbs is a 20% increase in weight.
    66 to 67 inches is a 1.5% increase in length.

Go Figure.
    @mjnelson generally speaking there are no stupid questions unless you are from Utah and you bring up the same stuff that Chipman does.

owennibley
    edited February 21
    @AdamCord Huh, that's a little mind-bending but also feels like a trick. I don't think there's a reason to believe those ratios should be similar.

If I were imagining that the ski's job was to support me, like a bridge, then the two things that would help the most would be thicker or a shorter span. Totally wrong analogy.

If I were imagining that the ski's job was to provide sufficient buoyancy, then I need to increase the volume of displaced water. Still almost entirely a wrong analogy, because the ski is planing and cannot provide enough bouyancy to hold me up if it isn't.

Once it is planing, I don't "need" any particular dimensions to be able to ski. Instead it becomes about something specific to slalom course success.

I guess my point is that it's not at all obvious what the fundamental reason(s) for ski size are. I'm sure you know MUCH more about it than almost anyone else reading this, and I would venture that even you can't describe it completely.
    Last year I climbed Mt. Stupid for the pole vault. I was a little surprised (even though I shouldn't have been) as I sprinted down the other side this year :).
    jimbrake
  • jimskijimski Posts: 399 Solid Baller
    Let's see this thing in action already
    Dunning - Kruger is a real thing. I know I run a water ski web site.

JayproToddALieutenant Dan
  • CamCam Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    Anybody else like me that feels there is a bungee cord attached to the peak of mount stupid?
    Than_BoganBruce_ButterfieldToddAski6jones