Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Presenting - WhisperFin #1

SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
edited February 16 in Skis Fins Bindings
Up until now, every WhisperFin in existence has been hand made by yours truly. This is a photo of the first fully manufactured fin to pass a long list of quality controls. Full production will start on Monday. It will take approximately two weeks for the first run to be complete, followed by shipping to Florida for packaging and at long last, distribution.

www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
DangerBoyrodeconDavidNBulldogMISkierEd_JohnsonBruce_ButterfieldBill22WishCooper_TrelawneyballsohardbajaskialexALPJrjayskiscotchipmanKRoundyLZywicki1BlueSkiGaryWilkinsonbf`Ryota chris55jimbrakeGWaterskiLuzzMilfordMDB1056jipster43ScotChipman1MuskokaKyrsaputoSkoot1123

Comments

• DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 295 Solid Baller
    Wow! Congratulations @SkiJay ! That's quite an accomplishment! How exciting it must be to see all the effort and vision you've put into this dream come to fruition. I'm sure it's going to be a game changer in the slalom world. I can't wait to hear the reviews and accolades that come in as more and more people get to try your revolutionary new fin out. Let the adventure begin! <3
    I can take anything apart
    6balls
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 261 Solid Baller
    Woohoo - can’t wait! :)
  • JASJAS Posts: 247 Solid Baller
    With this design exactly what change in dynamic effect (as compared to traditional fin) is created? What ski characteristic will we notice first ride out?
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    @JAS Most skiers notice two things immediately, easier turn initiation and quicker acceleration.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,094
    @SkiJay...Does the Fin come with a wing, and if not, what size and settings are recommended ???
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 501 Crazy Baller
    Use your own wing and set it the same as your factory wing.
    SkiJay
    @Ed_Johnson
    It doesn’t come with a wing, but it does come with detailed installation instructions and a paint-by-numbers custom-tuning system that you can check out at: https://finwhispering.com/whisperfin-installation/
    Ed_Johnson
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,968 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 17
    What thickness is the fin will it go into a radar pro fin block ? Seeing that Radar went to slightly thinner fins.
    Price ?

When The Going Gets Tough, Just Do Less !

@Stevie Boy
    The Radar fins are .080” and the price is $299. Answers to all figment, pricing, ordering, installation, tuning and tech questions questions can be found at www.finwhispering.com.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,460 Crazy Baller
    If someone already has the CG fin, what improvements should they expect?
    FLeboeufRyota
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,460 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @SkiJay I might buy it just for its looks!
    SkiJay
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 317 Solid Baller
    @SkiJay Sorry to ask but is it worth the investment for a skier slaloming at 32mph- 34mph 15off to 22off and hoping to 28off ? Or it would be more efficient to work on better skills and techniques before buying your fin ?
    @SkiJay me again, especially I basically ski on a open water lake and it is rarely calm.....because I am thinking that I might have a better and stable traction with a longer and deeper fin than yours.....and maybe not at all....I don't know and if you have some answers......I would really apreciate and thank you too (love your book by the way)
    Good question @chris55. Working on your skills and technique will always return the most improvement. But it's better to work on your technique with a ski that's your dance partner than with a wrestling opponent.

While this fin was initially designed to improve performance for shortline tournament skiers, a happy surprise was how much it helped novices. Of our 47 test skiers, the novices showed the most dramatic improvement with most of them setting personal bests within two sets. This is because the standard fin is actually too big and too stable.

Even though this fin helps skis turns easier, nobody yet has made any reference to it being "unstable," and it's been tested in 37° to 95° water, by skiers of ALL levels, on nearly all brands of skis, and in calm and whitecapping water. If you are skiing in a course, a ski that turns easier and accelerates more quickly is going to help—regardless of the stage you are at.
    Ryota Bruce_Butterfieldchris55
  • sfriissfriis Posts: 78 Baller
    @SkiJay You have mentioned in another thread (whisperFin unboxing), that you have a solution for asymmetrical smear - did you post this somewhere or when do you plan to share your secret? :)

Thanks for a super book and a lot of good information on your web.
    @sfriis
    I want to do a bit more testing on it before writing it up, and just haven’t been able to get to it. But I haven’t forgotten.
    sfriis
  • drewdrew Posts: 76 Solid Baller
    Made in Canada... does that refer to the intellectual property and R&D, or the manufacturing?? :D
    jayski
    Thank you for your infos @SkiJay, really helpfull. I will start the season in 3 weeks and I see how it goes and if I want your fin...would you ship it to Geneva Switzerland ?
    @drew You betcha, eh :)
    @chris55 Yup, I'll ship anywhere
    chris55Jordan
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 487 Crazy Baller
    More like all their lives and only leave to compete for their “home” country.
    walleye
  • CBR51CBR51 Posts: 83 Baller
    Shape of fin looks quite similar to a old Connelly fin I had,that I think Wayne Hanzel designed.
    UCFskier
    @CBR51
    It would sure be interesting to know how Wayne arrived at his shape; if it was somewhat random or through a lot of testing. Steve Schnitz came up with a similar outline at one point too. I started with a clean sheet and tried every shape imaginable. A year-long process of elimination identified this profile as providing the most power, stability and roll-feedback for its size.
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 172 Baller
    I am curious if the upper portion is universal? Meaning it also works in the Denali fin clamp?
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,629 Mega Baller
    @SkiJay just curious but it would seem like for .006 thickness that's a lot of extra machine time and fixturing. Were you able to identify any performance based issues with the fina cut from sheet?
  • JASJAS Posts: 247 Solid Baller
    Wondering why .005 variation in thickness makes performance difference for a fin that seems rather immune to fin adjustments in other directions?
    @S1Pitts – As in the hot little one-hole aerobatic biplane? VERY cool if so 😎

As you can see below, there's no fully universal top profile, though I’ve designed the WhisperFin to fit nearly all of today's most popular skis. If it's listed on the website, I've had the fin in that ski. I know that at least one of the earlier Denali’s is completely off the beaten path. But if you send me a scan of your fin, I should be able to let you know if it will work. And if you get a fin that doesn’t fit, you can return it for a refund.