Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In Search Of Beginner Ski Boat For College Student

2»

Comments

• dvskierdvskier Posts: 545 Crazy Baller
    No difference in skiing, carb will need a rebuild every 3-4 years. Need to pump the gas a couple times to start it when cold. Otherwise you won’t see a difference. I had a 97 w GT 40. Great slalom wakes at all speeds and line lengths.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,308 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You see a decent amount of '97 TSC's out there with the carb'd engine, which was still the standard powerplant at the time. It's not going to ski any different than a GT-40.
    Scott Calderwood
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 643 Crazy Baller
    The SNOB and the 205 are both great boats but as you discovered they are hard to find nearly impossible in your price range.
    The best options I saw on SIA for you are both in So Cal. but might be worth the trip.
    I 2003 MB190, EFI, PP, closed bow but huge trunk that saves floor space and skis great
    OR a 2002 Response LX, step-over open bow, tower, EFI, PP and a wedge if you just want to play.
    Good Luck,
    scottyspin
  • Rpc29Rpc29 Posts: 202 Solid Baller
    https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=100069

This one is a bit of a stretch but the hours and condition are superior to just about anything else out there.
    Ryan Christopher
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,214 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited March 2019
    @Mick04 wish I could tell you. I run a 2000 with a gt40. Having said that for a long time ran a carb '87 MC 190 with no issues. EFI is nicer for sure.
    '97 plus Nautique hull is fantastic.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 335 Baller
    Stay current on the SIA listings. MANY great boats < 10K that are capable far beyond 99% of skiers .
    scottyspin
  • KillerKiller Posts: 397 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    you get 50-70 extra HP with a GT40 over the carb'd 351 as well as easy starting. well worth it.
    jjackkrash
  • buechsrbuechsr Posts: 48 Baller
    Killer, I dunno, other than ability to run a steeper prop if you wanted to, my carb 97 has as much go as I'd ever need.

Here's a good looking one OP. A tad more than budget.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=50140
  • MillerTime38MillerTime38 Posts: 357 Crazy Baller
    edited March 2019
    @scottyspin I have a 2001 SN 196 that I am considering selling since we are moving to Japan shortly. GT40 engine with PP runs great but it’s in FL
  • ReallyGottaSkiReallyGottaSki Posts: 84 Baller
    I concur, a carbed '97 TSC1 will still have the gt40 heads, so the HP gap is only 15-20hp from the FI GT40. Personally rather fix a carb than 20+ yo marine electronics.
  • Mick04Mick04 Posts: 39 Baller
    edited March 2019
    I didn’t want to get this thread too off topic. For the OP, I just wanted to highlight the referenced ad was for a carby 97 TSC1. During that era (I could only find a 98 brochure) Nautique offered the 310 HP GT-40; a 290 HP carb (GT-40 heads); and a base 260 HP carb motor. I’m not too sure the 260 HP carb motor is going to feel like the 310 HP GT-40. Which carb motor is in the boat? Dunno, ad doesn’t say. Is it still going to ski OK? I’m sure it will, but it may feel different. Just a question worth asking if you are considering that boat.
    tdusin
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,926 Mega Baller
    @ReallyGottaSki mostly agree - I think the 20+ year old marine electronics are still fairly well working but I would not spend the $ replacing a MEFI I-III - I would just install a carb and distributor - luckily pretty easy to do on those boats.

I wonder what PP has up their sleeve.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 528 Crazy Baller
    @scottyspin you can add photos by attaching them through the little attach image icon when your typing a post.
    scottyspin
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,972 Mega Baller
    @scottyspin great purchase. I have an 02 RLX that is still going strong and ski regularly with a friend with either a 98 or 99 that runs great as well. That boat will provide years of great skiing for you.
    Mark Shaffer
    scottyspin
  • wski1831wski1831 Posts: 119 Baller
    Now you can join Berkeley ski club or Diablo ski club and ski the Delta
    scottyspin
    That looks a lot like my boat without the tower. You are going to get a ton of good use out of it.
    Mark Shaffer
    scottyspin
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 528 Crazy Baller
    @scottyspin WOW, it has been like 20+ years since I have seen that Marina on the Delta. Some things just dont change! We used to launch out of there when I was a kid but probably havent been there since the late 90s when I was no more than 14. Still recognized it instantly. How cool. Enjoy the new boat!
    scottyspin
    I am pretty impressed that a college student came up with enough cash for that boat. I have two college students and they have trouble coming up with spending money for each year.
    Mark Shaffer
    scottyspinMattP
  • scottyspinscottyspin Posts: 27 Baller
    @Chef23 paid half now, owe other half + interest in years to come.
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    @scottyspin Perfect! I purchased a 98 Response LX a couple years ago for 11k and it has been great! And it looks an awful lot like yours. I was thinking a near turn of the century Response LX would come up and be right for the job. Congrats!

scottyspin
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,245 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    @scottyspin great choice! I have an '01 and love it. I highly recommend joining up over at themalibucrew.com for access to more expertise on Malibus than you'll probably ever need. Which engine is in that one? Monsoon? Carby?
    scottyspinbraindamage
    @UWSkier monsoon thankfully! A lot easier to maintain.
    UWSkier
    @sunvalleylaw I actually got this boat with under 400 hours on it!
    MISkiersunvalleylawaupatkingUWSkier
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,617 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    Here you go. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Centurion-CARBON-PRO/133022896159

Oops. Looks like I missed the boat on that one!
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    @scottyspin , nice! Mine had quite a few hours on it when I got it, but had been treated very well by an owner in the industry that cared about upkeep.
    scottyspin
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ski-it-again ad #SIA50305. 96 Malibu Echelon. See all the details and let me know. I've got a few folks interested but no one has committed yet. @skihard has driven it if you need a reference.

LINK
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
    scottyspin
    @gt2003 thanks for the comment but I actually just bought a boat. Good luck with the sale!
  • JoepruncJoeprunc Posts: 262 Baller
    @scottyspin looks like a great boat and congrats! That boat will last you a long time. Looks like Rivers End and Victoria. Come on out and ski with us at Diablo Water Ski Club, always looking for new members! We have work party this Saturday if you are on the water come by and introduce yourself!
    scottyspin