Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To drop a hand, or not?

So I always use the beginning of the season to make a big change in my skiing technique. For example, Seth told me to wait until spring to swap my goofy grip (which worked great). Now I’m wondering if this year I should force myself to drop a hand starting from pass #1 (I’ve always skied double-pawed).

I have lots to work on (strength, body position...) so just wondering how important you guys think one-handed passes are to progress as a 15off skier.

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,753 Administrator
    @OscawanaSkier it's next to impossible to coach you on something this fundamental without seeing you ski but in general I advocate releasing your free hand more later than sooner in your technical progression.
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Than_Boganjetpilotg4
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 575 Crazy Baller
    I started dropping my hand really early as a kid because well we were wally skiers and it looked cooler. I think it was detrimental and I still have crappy edge changes. I vote stick with two hands.
    Horton
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 694 Crazy Baller
    edited March 2019
    Agree with others... dropping 1 hand too soon may look cool, but it is detrimental running the course.
  • OscawanaSkierOscawanaSkier Posts: 70 Baller
    Really appreciate the insight. I’ll resist my ski buddies telling me to “just drop your hand” and focus my energy and concentration on improved body position.