Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Membership Alert: SafeSport Certification

HortonHorton Posts: 29,528 Administrator
USAWS sent out an email today. If you did not get the email here is a link to the web version.

I heard some grumbling last week about this. "Why should I have to spend my time and money. I am beyond reproach because I .... blaaa blaa blaaaa..... If I have to do this I will just stay home" To those people I say "It costs $35 and about 2 hours of your life. If everyone who is required to do this does it and it prevents 1 person from being victimized it is worth it.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

jcampCollinSpradlinadamhcaldwellKRoundyBulldogslalomEricKelley

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,204 Mega Baller
    @Horton I fully agree. I am safe sport trained and have been for a number of years as a requirement for my job as a high school coach. I have recently been advising on safe sport practices at the adult level with another coaching job. Implementation of a club wide program was a requirement of a grant we received. Directives from many USOC affiliated sport divisions have been coming down in the past few years on implementation of the program. It is the world we live in now and if people "just stay home" that is their choice. I don't see the safe sport requirement running anyone off in this sport.

Just to note that Safe Sport is FREE to USAWS members. I am not sure where you got the $35 from. If a member needs a criminal background check I believe that is $23. It is a short course is all online. It is completely worth it prevents one victim.
    WishslalomThe_Krista
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,528 Administrator
    @MattP I may have gotten the dollar amount wrong. I was referring to the background check.

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,759 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I’m sure that background checks prevent crap like that as well as background checks for Firearms.
    Shut up and ski
    Orlando76E_Twawaskr
    @ms I understand people's irritation with having to jump through these hoops. I can't say it enough - if everybody go through this training and it prevents 1 incident it is worth it.

SkiwoodgateThe_MSslalom
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,780 Mega Baller
    I'll be honest: I hated taking this training. But I'm REALLY glad everyone has to do it. There's enormous value there.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    adamhcaldwellslalom
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,020 Mega Baller
    @BoneHead
    Nope! Word on the street is that next it is all officials, scorers, judges and drivers!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

BMG73WaterSkier12
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,126
    Good thing I told them to take away all of my ratings 2 years ago
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Jody_SealThe_MS
    @Jody_Seal and if it protects one young person it's worth all of it

theboardingschoolslowslalom
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 960 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2019
    sad this is happening
    @Bruce_Butterfield perhaps the actual training is mostly useless but it is just one necessary ingredient in a greater system which is trying to address potential evil.

slalom
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 742 Mega Baller
    first read of this thread sounded political.
    surprised its still here. As someone who does not participate in tournament skiing or anything related as it so f'up for the average skier, I see no need for it. Less government! I am sure we can police our own sport. Not that big. I agree with @ Jody
    randymenyWaterSkier12
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,755 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Horton you said "perhaps the actual training is mostly useless". You are making my argument for me now:)

How the heck can you make the claim that something you admit is "mostly useless" is a "necessary ingredient"?
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    randymenywalleyeBMG73WaterSkier12
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 367 Crazy Baller
    I can see this type of certification and training in certain situations, such as where there is a kids team and the coaches and officials involved go through this. An example might be the officials for a Jr US Open or other type event. I have a hard time understanding why it would be necessary or valuable for those running tournaments and other similar activities that are not limited to kids only. Seems like asking all your officials to participate is not addressing where you need it.
    bajaski6jones
  • skibackwardsskibackwards Posts: 63 Baller
    Please take note that effective March 23, 2019, as mandated by the U.S. Center for SafeSport:
    •All USA Water Ski & Wake Sports board members are required to complete the SafeSport Training and Certification
    •All sport discipline organizations’ board members are required to complete the SafeSport Training and Certification
    •All Team USA athletes and staff (manager, coach, physician/trainer and support staff) age 18+ participating in an international event are required to complete a background check and complete the SafeSport Training and Certification
    •All Team USA athletes age 17+ participating in an international event are required (with parental consent) to complete the SafeSport Training and Certification
    The existing requirement for all show directors and assistant show directors to undergo a background check and complete SafeSport Training and Certification remains in effect.
    The U.S. Center for SafeSport and USA Water Ski & Wake Sports strongly recommend that all members of USA Water Ski & Wake Sports, particularly club presidents, club board members, volunteers and officials (judges, drivers, safety coordinators and scorers) complete SafeSport Training and Certification.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,755 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Ok, here’s a serious question:

“All Team USA athletes age 17+ participating in an international event are required (with parental consent) to complete the SafeSport Training and Certification“

What happens if the parent of a 17 yo team member denies consent? Is the athlete denied the ability to compete at an international event or do they continue without the training? This is either usurping the parent’s authority or it is not a real requirement.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    dthate
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,643 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @MS True. For the record, the MS hates kids is a joke. He actually likes kids.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 878 Mega Baller
    I have to do something similar this year to be an assistant coach for 3-4th grade baseball. This is just the world we live in now and not USAWS' or USOC' fault. It's the perverts' (and other abusers) fault and they should be catching crap for it, not USAWS or the USOC.
    MattPDragoraynThe_Krista
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 988 Mega Baller
    @Dirt at least you didn’t say he loves kids!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    The_MSDirtjayski