Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another sanctioning organization for 3 event waterskiing. Would you consider joining?

Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,901 Mega Baller
If another three event waterski sanctioning body came into fruition would you consider joining? This organization with less policy baggage, dedicated to economic competition and would subscribe to practical rules and policy's for the advancement of it's skiing membership within the sport.
Please be advised this question is not just for current members of USAWS but also of those site lurkers and skiers that currently are not members of AWSA/USAWS
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Another sanctioning organization for 3 event waterskiing. Would you consider joining? 70 votes

yes
54%
ScarletArrowskidawgscotchipmandislandskiepLZywicki1waterskicoreyRichardDoaneBruce_ButterfieldForrestGumpKelvin9400T_CDirtbrodydave2ballDeanoskiskiinxsigkyajayski 38 votes
no
17%
HortonLakeOneSkierMarkTimmdvskiingjcampkurtJeffSurdejtheboardingschoolnikandsteveScottScottbbrannanYoughskier 12 votes
maybe
28%
skibugChef23Than_BoganDragolpskierJody_Sealgjohnsonsunperchchris_loganNandowski1831sunvalleylawSkoot1123ALPJrBraceMakerJibboLarsBCMSKILIQUIDZONEwski247 20 votes

Comments

• TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 55 Baller
    yes
    The NBSWSA
    The No BullS**t Water Ski Association
    Bruce_ButterfieldWaterSkier12
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,096 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    maybe
    Only if USAWWS folded. Thought about signing up for INT back when they were in New England and the kids were young and just getting started, but always ended up asking myself... Why? The only reason I considered it was that they included wakeboarding which at the time meant that a couple of our kids could participate too. Just didn’t make sense to join both org’s as I was only doing a couple local tourneys a season and the kids had plenty of fun hanging out on our boat or at the ski club once or twice a week.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    maybe
    It is hard to tell in a vacuum. I skied some INT events when I was just getting into tournaments and when my daughter was skiing some and couldn't run a full pass. The INT events were fun but expensive for the amount of passes you got. We migrated to USAWS events and I think the INT has kind of died in NE.

In general I don't have a big issue with current tournaments. In NE they are mostly Class C, the costs are pretty reasonable and you generally get 2-3 rounds per tournament.
    Mark Shaffer
    Jody_SealThan_BoganJordan
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,139 Mega Baller
    maybe
    The USAWS is what it is due to the members who have pushed it to be that way.
    It would seem that if the same people start to get involved the same nonsense would come to pass just over more time.

I would like to see the individual states worry about what promotes skiing in their state and be a larger component of the day to day situation. IE. All states become affiliates that you deal through; not through USAWS as a whole.
    Jody_Seal
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,586 Mega Baller
    maybe
    VIVE LA REVOLUTION!

But seriously, probably not. Sports organizations have inherent problems, and USAWS doesn't seem worse (nor any better) than most.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    HortonJordanjipster43slow
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 367 Crazy Baller
    Would I ski any better?

Second to @Than_Bogan comments about sports organizations.

Although I think any sports organization needs to be run (officers and board members) by those who participate as athletes.
    HortonThan_Bogan
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 624 USAWS Official
    no
    @Jody_Seal will you be president?
    AWSA President
    Than_Boganbbrannan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,773 Administrator
    edited April 2019
    no
    I have some strong opinions about some of the things the organization has done over the years but splitting off is like voting for a 3rd party candidate. No one wins.
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Cooper_TrelawneyJohn Brooks
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 919 Crazy Baller
    no
    I would be more inclined to get involved in whats there, and try to (I won't say fix, but...) make improvements. Nothing is perfect, but hopefully there are well meaning people trying to do the best they can. I can only guess that this new organization would have similar issues a few years down the road.....then what.....start another?
    jipster43
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,339 Mega Baller
    yes
    There is possibly a need for a one event organization (slalom) but not another three event. It would be a better idea to improve what exists than start from scratch.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    MattPScarletArrowBill22jipster43
  • nikandstevenikandsteve Posts: 83 Baller
    edited April 2019
    no
    The grass is always greener on the other side, isn’t it? Good luck with a new organization, I prefer to water my own :)
    bbrannanRichardDoane
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 219 Solid Baller
    yes
    I will help you organize it.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,097
    yes
    Jody speaks what people outside of the Southeast region have been speaking about for years.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

The_MSBruce_ButterfieldRichardDoaneWaterSkier12
  • NandoNando Posts: 557 Crazy Baller
    maybe
    I did seven terms as pres of my state association (plus three as VP) and still hold a grudge that the INT screwed up what was our primary tournament site for us by disrespecting the few homeowners on it, the city officials who tried to help them out, and the county parks people who ran the park they used. It took ten years to get back there, so I'm skeptical that a new governing body would be better. I do think that by trying to be everything to everyone, USAWS is doing skiers a disservice.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,053 Mega Baller
    Don't forget, that's USAWS&WS.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    sunperchjipster43
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,698 Mega Baller
    maybe
    I answered maybe, but I did not say anything about leaving USAWS. I looked at as belonging to two rather than one or the other.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    BG1mmosley899jipster43
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 391 Crazy Baller
    yes
    I said yes before looking at the comments. I was assuming this would be in addition to USAWS&WS, and thought it could not hurt to have more people doing skiing stuff. After reading the comments and thinking some more I might have to say, "it depends". If the idea was to be "anti-USAWS&WS" I'd pass.
    RichardDoane
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    maybe
    I say maybe, meaning maybe I would do both. (You realize only awsa members that provide their # can can comment on "politics" on BOS? )
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,096 Mega Baller
    maybe
    I've been a supporter or active member since I found out about the AWSA in my high school library's card catalog back in 1975. I voted maybe only on the outside chance the org goes away someday. I've never had any problems. Only suggestion I've had for the past 20ish years is that we might see more family participation in tourneys if a wakeboard round was part of it.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,339 Mega Baller
    yes
    @ALPJr not to get off topic, but we should encourage kids to ride the right sized/shaped WB (30% rule) as a trick ski whenever possible
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Wishjipster43
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,187 Mega Baller
    yes
    @RichardDoane it’s now 35%. Almost all wakeboards fit. The only issue now is the depth of the built in ridges.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    RichardDoane
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 572 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    yes
    As a few noted above my yes was in addition to, not instead of. I also don't believe AWSA derives any benefits from USAWS (and whatever), on the contrary I believe costs are significantly higher due to the increased risk.
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    maybe
    I checked maybe. It all depends if the new organization put on economical events near me. I am more about the grass roots, family events.

And also maybe because another organization in a sport with limited participation could dilute participation and resources further.
    Jody_Seal
  • motoskiermotoskier Posts: 35 Baller
    They did this same type of thing with Indy car racing a few years ago
    , (ruined the sport)
    Hortonlpskier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,773 Administrator
    no
    @motoskier if there was a "Cupcake & Water Ski League" would you join?

I just give myself an off topic
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    maybe
    deleted.
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,447 Mega Baller
    edited April 2019
    yes
    I just think the actual sport needs to be focused on the actual sport. 3 point shooting contests are pseudo interesting to watch, but they are not basketball.
    slow