Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using HDPE As Jump Surface

Has anyone tried using HDPE sheets on top of plywood as a jump surface instead of plywood or fiberglass? I'm curious to know if it would need waxing at all, or if it holds up well...

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,991 Mega Baller
    @mmosley899 any thoughts on this?
    Personally I think HDPE would gouge to easily but it would depend on the durometer of the material you use.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 589 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Hdpe does not hold up well in the sun, UV makes it brittle over time. I too think it would gouge easily. You can buy FRP(fiberglass reinforced plastic) in rolls(60'x8.5'), it can be glued to a PT plywood base, and that material works.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,416 Mega Baller
    edited April 17
    Gouge? We use HDPE as a skidplate cover on jeeps. What in the world are you going to gouge it with? Edit - they are UHMW
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • slowslow Posts: 353 Solid Baller
    If hdpe has enough graphite colorant in it, it doesn’t degrade at all becouse light can’t penetrate it. Used to sell hdpe corrigated pipe.
  • theboardingschooltheboardingschool Posts: 123 Water Ski Industry Professional
    I think Beaman even makes one like that. It's more for a traveling show she ramp I think. We have been using HDPE for years on wakeboard rails, and as long as you buy the expensive stuff it will last you forever. Not sure what the difference of feel would be, but it would definitely hold up. I have a rail that is close to 15 years old in direct Florida sun, and it's totally fine.
    MattPbaja
  • mjumpmjump Posts: 57 Baller
    It works well for show ski jumpers due to its slick surface. Not so well for long distance. I just removed it from a jump.I bought and replaced it with a fiberglass surface and wax.
  • kgzskier2kgzskier2 Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    @mmosley899 I will look into the FRP Rolls, any idea what thickness you would need? I'm not finding much online.

@theboardingschool Where do you guys source your HDPE from? I was looking at maybe an online order from curbellplastics and Also, wondering what thickness you use?
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 589 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @kgzskier2 we used 1/8” or 3/16”. Great Dane truck trailer company uses the material in rolls to make trailers.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller