2019 Connelly GT-R review mid point

HortonHorton Posts: 26,777 Administrator
I have 8 sets on the GT-R so far. It is not secret that I really liked the last generation of the Prophecy. I never really settled in the the GT so I was unsure how the GT-R review would go. What I have learned is that I likely never had the right settings on the GT. Needless to say I am impressed with the GT-R and very much enjoying riding it for the review. Below is video of a 32,35 and then 5 @ 38 from today

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

slalomballsohardJordanJayproallycatrobmollysilverlake

Comments

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,004
    LOT of tip pressure on the offside. It was actually better than your onside and was getting you back in the game.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

I really liked the GTR the few sets on it I got before i had surgery in the fall. Hoping to get back on it in the next few weeks. I did find big Connelly banners in my garage this week that they sent me when they donated some skis to our raffle at Lakes at Cypress a few years back.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

The_Krista
  • HortonHorton Posts: 26,777 Administrator
    @BoneHead my offside is typically better regardless of the ski. When the rope gets short I trend to get too much out of 1 ball and then lose some direction off the second wake going to 2.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

You're definitely riding farther back on the ski from the wake to the buoy on 2/4/6.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• jhughesjhughes Posts: 857 Mega Baller
    I don't know anything about skiing but that 38 looked like it was going down!
    @jhughes Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

BoneHead
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 394 Baller
    To my eyes, @Horton's skiing has greatly improved in the past couple of years. I watched that and thought "that guy should be running 38 every time with that skiing" I suppose switching skis monthly has its drawbacks...
    mcskier41
    @ktm300 I'm sad to report I don't think my skiing has improved much. I've been hot and cold at 38 for more than 10 years.

• DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 253 Solid Baller
    edited May 16
    @Horton Don't you think that you might be a lot more consistent than you are at 38 and into 39 if you had been able to stay on one ski that you really liked for an entire season instead of always having to change things in your technique to adjust to the quirks and idiosyncracies of all these different skis that you've been testing and reviewing over the years?

I mean it must be fun and very interesting to be able to try all of these great skis that you get to review but don't you ever wish you could just stay skiing on whatever ski is your favorite and really get dialed into it by skiing on it for an extended period of time instead of always having to get used to different skis often times with very different characteristics?
    I can take anything apart
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 481 Crazy Baller
    edited May 16
    Those conditions looked brutal for BOS HQ. What was that like a 7mph wind at 1 ball?
    HortonEd_Johnsonjhughes9400
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 527 Crazy Baller
    @Horton ski looked good disappointed in choice of rope. Unless you have not upgraded.
    @DangerBoy Yes for sure. Theoretically I would be a much better skier if I had settled on one ski. Switching skis so much has taught me a TON about skis and skiing. It has also made me more of a ski chameleon but it has cost me progress in terms of ball count.

Shark
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,502 Mega Baller
    Nice gates
    edited May 16
    @gregy my gates are like a box of chocolates. I'm not sure what you like about them but if I showed you more passes you would be less impressed

aupatking
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,632
    What settings are you currently running?
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

edited May 17
    I'm not claiming these are ideal settings but this is where I'm at in the above video.

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,632
    edited May 17
    Those are actually pretty close to the numbers I was running on my GT (67) with my boots further forward and the ski was super friendly and easy to ride.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• coach3coach3 Posts: 55 Baller
    28.375 for a 67"?
    @coach3 oops. Good catch. thank you.

• John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 328 Crazy Baller
    @Horton When you move from ski to ski, do you see a material difference in your settings?
    @John Brooks I always start with settings recommended for the ski

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,300 Mega Baller
    I suppose the worst thing about being @Horton is that no matter how much he likes a ski, or a fin (cg/whisper/the standard one w/ assym porting) you can't really keep going with it huh.
    Horton
    You definitely have to stay liquored up to tolerate him.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Steven_HainesballsohardMSDirt
    @BoneHead you are one to talk.

Steven_HainesMS
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 895 Crazy Baller
    @Horton why did you try the 68, what do you weigh?
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas