Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A sad nod to the potential value of SafeSport training

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,586 Mega Baller
Purposely keeping this rather unspecific: I'm aware of a non-waterski coach recently being dismissed due to an inappropriate relationship with a team member.

The most disturbing thing I'm learning in the aftermath is that a LOT of people either knew or strongly suspected this was going on more than a year ago. As far as I can gather, none of these folks who knew had any SafeSport training.

As I stated on the other thread in defense of mandatory SafeSport training, by far the easiest path forward is to look away. And that's exactly what apparently happened here. MAYBE if more involved had had the SafeSport training, this would have been halted much sooner. MAYBE it never takes place at all.

That's a lot of speculation, but my personal opinion remains that this type of training is among the best bang-for-buck ways to help reduce these kinds of incidents. The fact that so many good people did nothing in this case helps to cement my thinking.
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
slalomS1Pitts

Comments

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,632 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Than_Bogan do you know / can you share the ages of those involved? Point being there is a huge difference between a 30yo coach and 14yo team-member vs. 20yo coach and 18 yo team-member.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,586 Mega Baller
    @Bruce_Butterfield Totally valid and reasonable question, but unfortunately I am not willing to share that information about this particular case.

Btw, just to emphasize: This is not about waterskiing. Different sport.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,770 Administrator
    @Bruce_Butterfield the safesport code is hard to read but I believe that is there is not a 5 year spread between the accused and the victim there is less scrutiny. Clearly if a 20 year old and a 16 year old have a thing that is going to raise flags but not at the same level as a 21 year old and a 16 year old. The whole freaking thing is so distasteful that it is hard to talk about.
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Shark
    @Than_Bogan I am not sure there is a ton to learn about what is right or wrong in the training but it is a clear reminder that there is a governing agency and what is and what is not allowed. For me, it was hearing what I knew to be right restated in a formal/legalistic way.

In 2019 most people know that it is not acceptable for an college age or older kid to date a high school kid. (yea sure college freshman and high school Sr. - whatever.)

@Than_Bogan I can not disagree with that.

• wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 263 Solid Baller
    It seems strange that you want to speak out about this, yet you dont want to say anything. Same social issue with abuse of women that brought about the "me too" movement.
    Matt
    jimski
    @wawaskr are you referring to the fact that I am discouraging conversations about Smith? The reality is the details of the investigation are completely confidential and all we could talk about is rumors. That seems like a super bad idea to me.

MillerTime38S1Pitts
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 263 Solid Baller
    @horton I'm not pointing at you - this whole issue is a failure of society in general - seems to me the safe sport movement does not address the root cause, it is only reactionary. That is what "Me Too" is trying to get out there - that this action is not OK in society - and letting people be aware of the gruesome details of these situations - something that safe sport does not even have on the radar. These predators parents ultimately failed. New topic idea: Should potential parents be required to get permits? Then background checks could happen prior to the predators even being born.
    Matt
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,353 Crazy Baller
    Please excuse the ignorance. Is the SafeSport program exclusively directed at sexual abuse of minors? Or are other abuses covered? You may say "take the course to find out". I'm probably not going to due my lack of exposure to outsiders.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    @LeonL No. SafeSport handles all sorts of sexual misconduct and abuse. ( violence, bullying, harassment, etc)

• jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    I think its definitely a small step in the right direction, but for this to really work this has to get into the major sports as well. Football, Basketball, etc. Theres countless examples we've all heard about yet they all seem to make it on the field for game time.