Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making Cut-offs

kcwoodheadkcwoodhead Posts: 9 Baller
We have an old pair of O'Brien jumpers (maybe ~ 74") that we'd like to cutoff. I'm looking for some instruction on general process (if there is one other than cut off the back, somehow seal, and drill new holes for the fins) and/or length and binding placement. I don't have any around to use as a guide so am hoping maybe someone has some or has made a pair at some point. Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,304 Mega Baller
    Shoot. I was all set to explain that all you do is cut off the legs on your jeans right below where the front pockets hang down. You should just go ahead and do that while you're cutting down your jumpers.

Re: the jumpers - put bindings at same % of forward/back as they are currently for the 74s. How small of a person are you intending to have use these skis? If a kid, maybe go down to 68" (?).
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,140 Mega Baller
    I thought we would see Daisy Duke!!
    DaveDReallyGottaSkiigkya
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,872 Infinite Pandas
    I was thinking Daisy Duke but...

Why do you want to shorten jumpers? There are shorter jumpers that can be found for reasonable prices. 74 is already short but might be a good stepping stone for a developing jumper.

I have shortened a jumper. I was making a pair out of two mismatched but similar skis. I peeled the rubber edges up, cleaned them of most of the old epoxy and bits of honeycomb, shaped the skis, trimmed the edges to fit and epoxied the edges back on. I used Harbor Freight quick epoxy because it's cheap, easy to work with and a little softer adhesive to hold the edges. Clamping was a pain. I used blocks on the straight sides and duct tape on the edges and ends. Clean up was a pain as there was a lot of leakage. Binding placement was easy, I just matched the other ski.

The shortened ski turned out fine and I think the college kids are still using it. Interesting project but maybe not worth it for the amount of time I worked on it. Certainly if a ski could be reasonably purchased.

Of course, if you are creating some tiny jumpers to experiment with, go for it!

Eric
    Garskialex
  • kcwoodheadkcwoodhead Posts: 9 Baller
    Thanks y'all. We are making them more as a fun/user-friendly pair of combos for several people (ranging from my tiny 12 yr old niece to adults). Possibly for some public lake consumption as well. No intention of taking these over the ramp. :-)
  • bojansbojans Posts: 258 Solid Baller
    @kcwoodhead you may be surprised at the value of the jumpers. Shorter skis like that are desirable for teaching and hard to find. I think if you put them up on ski-it-again you would probably get enough money to buy a couple new pairs of combos and fill the boat with gas a few times.
    Jetsetr