Injured list.

AndreAndre Posts: 1,824 Mega Baller
edited July 2019 in News & Other Stuff
This is a thread that you don't want to post in...but s... happens!
Post here if you're hurt or enable to ski because injuries.
Bonus points for videos or pix of stitches or blood!
I'll start.
I qualified for Canadians Natls last week (second carreer tournament) and was training hard.Had skied 34 of the last 35 mornings and was getting solid at 32 off with a steady 2 balls @35 off.
I broke forward at 2ball,thought
that i was back in good enough position to at least turn3 but i was wrong.
3 broken ribs and i'll miss the Natls in 3 weeks...
Very very painful in both ways...
35 off @ 34 mph.

My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
allycat

Comments

• ThomasAliveThomasAlive Posts: 62 Baller
    Ouch.

Also, maybe you can change the title to Injured instead of Disabled.
  • jriester33jriester33 Posts: 30 Baller
    Daaaang! Bummer on the injury and missed tournament, but congrats on qualifying tho! Currently on the injured list as well with shoulder/neck injury from going over the front. Injuries are never fun to deal with, especially in the middle of the season.
  • Keith_MenardKeith_Menard Posts: 816 Mega Baller
    My favorite term is PUP list.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,292 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited July 2019
    I got this..... not the worst but within top 10.
    October 26, 2018 Centerline of the boat, coming out of 5 ball. Just got ok from doctor this week to start light duty skiing. Going out Saturday for the first time.

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,824 Mega Baller
    @Orlando76
    Man,you win right there! Good luck with your comback!
    How many staples is that ?
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,054 Mega Baller
    @Orlando76 I thought that spider robot thing from The Matrix was fictional!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 392 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2019
    @Orlando76
    OMG that brings back nightmares! Virtually identical break for me back in 2003.
    I still think of that day every single time I feel the pull from the boat. Keeps you honest and focused. All the best on your return to the water.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    edited July 2019
    @Andre I had a very similar fall a few months ago on my opener pass. Hit the wakes a little stiff, bounced and landed weird. I didn't hurt anything like you did but it was a total surprise and left me hurting for few days. It happened so fast, I need to put a note on tip of ski to stay focused.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,054 Mega Baller
    edited July 2019
    @gregy If you are reading the tip of your ski, you're probably not focused :).
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    gregyLuv2Ski
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 455 Crazy Baller
    Season ended July 7th for me. Exactly 52 weeks to the day when I collapsed my lung
    Last year ( posted in “ man down”) .. Lung was spontaneous; broken able happened at a fall approaching 2 ball.
    14 set in 3 years...enjoy it for those who can!

• Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,292 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Andre IIRC I had 78 staples.
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 26 Baller
    2 days ago

davestaxidermystudio.com
    @DaveLemons
    While skiing ?
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 817 Crazy Baller
    @DaveLemons WhT happened to cause so much blood? Compound fracture?
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 26 Baller
    Stabbed myself with a reciprocating saw. Kneeling in the ground cutting some wood and it kicked up and came straight down into my leg. Couldn’t get my finger off the trigger so it got me twice while running. Two 3” deep holes but only one entrance hole. I got really lucky. 5 stitches and they sent me home but it’s going to take awhile for the muscle to heal enough to ski.
    davestaxidermystudio.com
  • KillerKiller Posts: 504 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Did my ribs in as well as well @Andre. Eastern Regionals this weekend I was planning on skiing to get my rating back... like you was feeling great on the water, finally!

6 days in now and feels worse than the start but better than yesterday. 3 days in Chicago partying for a stag over the weekend probably didn't help any but it did kill the pain for a bit! feeling too old for that too!

did you get xrays or just a physical exam? I've bruised ribs before skiing and its been a 2-3 week wait to ski, 2-3 months pain free. I know they say 4-6 weeks for fractures.
    @Killer
    Ya they did the X rays for fractures but it was more for the lungs to make sure a rib didn't punctured one. Fifth day now and the pain and discomfort is down 30-40% i'd say.
    Diladid (sp) is good stuff for pain and the Naproxen help the inflammation of muscles around the ribs.
    16 days before the Natls.We'll see a few days before if it's doable...Thinking that a good sports taping would help too.
    @Killer
    How are you doing?
    Tried to ski this morning 15 days after my crash and the deepwater start was way too painful to continue and had to let go.With the Natls being next friday,don't think i'm gonna make it.
    Very frustrating as the Natls are really close to me this year and i was training hard...
  • KillerKiller Posts: 504 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @Andre I'm doing well. Haven't been doing any sports though. Still sore to the touch but everyday movement isn't painful like it was for the first week or so. I'm going to try and ski Monday. Will be almost 3 weeks since the injury. My physio said 4-6... Plan to take it essy.! Keep resting and you'll be back on the water. Nats sounds like it will be great, go hang out and have fun talking skiing!
    Andre
  • vernonreevevernonreeve Posts: 94 Baller
    I typically wait until I can do a chin-up before I try to ski again. Takes 2-3 weeks normally for me. Ribs haven't actually broken, but they did separate from the cartilage. I thought they were broken because of the popping sound it made if I pushed on anything. But doctor said that popping/crackling sound usually means it's not broken and is just cartilage. Seems like I take a hard rib fall once a summer. I even tried a mold-able rib protector once, but the life jacket turned almost inside out, which cause the hard rib protector to flip up, causing it's hard edge to ram into my ribs. That was a 4 week recovery, and I still have a bump there.
  • HighAltitudeHighAltitude Posts: 147 Baller
    Compressed a nerve in the L5. Taking a month off for PT. This is the first time I have ever stopped skiing for any length of time during the season. It sucks...but I'm also running the Pikes Peak Ascent in 3 weeks and need a healthy back to do that.
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 356 Solid Baller
    @Andre sheesh, that’s so disappointing. With the Nats so close and you’re skiing so well,... crap.
    Sometimes the universe is an asshole.

Deep water start is probably the toughest part of your set with broken ribs. My son broke one hitting a tree last winter, still feels it. Take care, let it heal and I’d much rather see you at Nats again kicking -35’s butt.

Us old-ish guys gotta stick together.

Be well André.
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
    Andre
    Thanks @GaryWilkinson !
    As much i would like to ski,the pain was just too much.
    But i plan to being on the sidelines cheering for you that next friday.
    I'll be the one with a pink Spandex suit with'' Go Gary Go!'' written on it! ;)

Are you going there on thursday too ? I may be there (big maybe) starting thursday at lunch...
    GaryWilkinson
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 245 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2019

Please, not this again....
    MDB1056
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 356 Solid Baller
    @Andre yes starting Thursday morning. See you there !
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,376 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Not a massive injury but, How long before you can ski on a dislocated and broken toe ?

Looking Forward To Getting On The Water, It Has Been A Bleak Winter

edited August 2019
    I once pop one right back in place(toe was looking like a''Z'') after a fall where my toes hit the ski, boat was back to pick me up and skied right away again.
    YMMV.

Edit:Was dislocated obviously not broken.There was pain for a few days but skiable.Rear foot with RTP.
  • SpartanSkiSpartanSki Posts: 80 Baller
    4 ball at 28 did me in. I've never run 28 and this pass was earlier to 3 than I ever have been. Pulled my guts out to keep the momentum going into 4 and then not sure what happened. Both tibia and fibula broken down low. Luckily a very clean break and no hardware, but my already short Michigan season was cut even shorter.

jakecuz23
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 820 Mega Baller
    @SpartanSki get better soon - what bindings are you using?
  • SpartanSkiSpartanSki Posts: 80 Baller
    Double vapors, I just think it was that perfect storm of being in the turn and forces pushing me into the ski when something went wrong. Already been talking with @mmosley899 about upgrading to some MOB bindings.
    mmosley899WaterSkier12