Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camera Mounts And Cameras for Slalom Video

scuppersscuppers Posts: 441 Baller
I read up on all the old posts I could find - any new info on the best and sturdiest vibration limiting set up?
Chuck Link, Deland Florida

Comments

• bbruzzesebbruzzese Posts: 120 Baller
    Is anyone out there using the Cylon from Wake Eye?
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,211 Mega Baller
    Ski-doc with HTC M8 phone and Wakeye app is perfection.
  • blakeyatesblakeyates Posts: 138 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I have a new Ski Doc and am just setting it up with an iPhone. I’ve got too much shake; any suggestions?
    Blake Yates
    Nautique Promo Rep, GA
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 367 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2
    I have the SKi Doc, like it and use it for record tours, works well and is sturdy. For practice video, I use my IPhone, Wake Eye ap and use it in selfy mod, much less vibration.
  • BMG73BMG73 Posts: 24 Baller
    I have the ski doc and an iPhone 7. It shakes terrible unless you turn the phone in selfie mode and turn off stabilization in the wakeye app. Try that @blakeyates
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,119
    I have had every Camera Mount available since 1992. Wakeye broke on me twice, sending my camera to the floor. For the last 2 years have been using the Ski Doc Orbit with a high end Canon Camera and the picture is Perfect. No vibration what so ever. Absolutely could not ask for a better picture. Plus the Canon has a remote control that allows you to sit back and watch it on the big screen in slow-mo and fast forward through the sit times.

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    GWaterskiLakebum
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 95 Baller
    Does the Ski Doc have an iPhone mounting option?
    @skibrain the ski-doc has a standard thread-pitch camera mount screw. They include a crappy phone mount with the kit when you buy it, or you can find better ones on Amazon for about 7 bucks.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 811 Crazy Baller
    No matter what you use put on a shock tube or bad things can happen!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 811 Crazy Baller
    The ski doc orbit with hikivision camera tracks well for tourney boat video, we are still trying to improve the video! JJ told me the video of reginas record was a orbit with a go pro on top! That is much better than the hikvision but then you need wireless and DVR which all rob quality!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 441 Baller
    Thanks for the feed back ballers. We just bought a ski doc from performance used my iPhone 10X and the Wakeye app. Shook like crazy!!! But we used it NOT in selfie mode and had the stabilization button on
    We try again tomorrow PS I’m gonna try a little bungee cord tension on the ski doc it’s self to dampen out the vibration. @Ed_Johnson which Cannon and how expensive is it?
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,119
    edited August 3
    @scuppers ... Canon Vixia G50 with Optical Image Stabilization, 20x Optical Zoom, Dual SD Cards, and HDMI plus USB Interface, plus Remote Control. I got mine 2 years ago for $1200. The model it replaced was a G20, which was a little smaller and lighter, and I have seen some of those on Amazon for $795.
    The remote lets you do stop action and 2 slow speed modes 1/8th and 1/4 speed, in FWD and REV. Great for sitting in your easy boy and watching on your big screen.

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    GWaterski
  • Kellen417Kellen417 Posts: 36 Baller
    I literally just went through this. Horrible shake with iPhone 7, totally unwatchable. BUT I got solid video after some work. Just sent this to the people at skidoc today & they appreciated the feedback.

I bought a “WOOHOT” Camera mount to use and a small square of 1/4” sorbothane (anti vibration pad)
    Installed in between orbit and Camera mount. Also put it in the back of the phone mount. Changed iPhone 7 camera settings to record 1080 JPEG when using selfie camera.

Here is a pic of the mount & below a video of fairly rotten pass that in my opinion came out pretty dang good on video considering.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c72zu150qbcd8v4/orbit.MOV?dl=0
    OldboyII
    I did record using Wakeye app with stabilization ON
    I like using the iphone because I can instantly upload to the Hudl technique app to watch my crappy passes however slow-mo I like
  • buoyboy1buoyboy1 Posts: 81 Baller
    @Kellen417 Did you have to change out the bolt in order to fit the pad under the camera mount or was there enough thread? Seems like there is only 1/4" thread projection.
    That pad is super squishy & sticky. I was able to fit it using the same bolt.
    They make it in 1/8 also, i was unsure that would be thick enough after all the shake I previously experienced. They also have different durometers. I used 50 I think. A bit sturdier
  • BobFBobF Posts: 146 Baller
    This link is another decent aftermarket cell phone clamp mount that can be used with any standard 1/4" thread.

MISkier
  • musclefixermusclefixer Posts: 56 Baller
    We just bought a skidoc orbit too. Does anyone else find the selfie mode weird cause its a mirror image of yourself- my on side just became my offside. Like mentioned above use my iPhone XR with wakeye and it shook like crazy, Then I used y old iPhone 6 with the wakeye app, turned off the stabilization feature and whala! Quality video
  • LakebumLakebum Posts: 25 Baller
    I have the Cylon but it has been finicky and loses its eye on the ball. It’s early yet and not had time to tweak it. But not a “right out of the box” fullproof mount. Doesn’t work with red interior either. You have to reprogram to see a different color.
  • buoyboy1buoyboy1 Posts: 81 Baller
    @Kellen417 What manuf or website did you order from/use? Thanks.
  • taptap Posts: 78 Solid Baller
    Just need to stack an isolation mount ontop of an orbit, works great. I use a homemade one, but this should do the trick. If you want more isolation just add mass to the top plate. More mass the better.

https://www.amazon.com/STO-Universal-wire-rope-STO-Universal-wire-rope-anti-vibration-mount/dp/B0776BRT39/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=wire+vibration+mount&qid=1564966205&s=gateway&sr=8-2#
  • blakeyatesblakeyates Posts: 138 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Kellen417, how do you upload the video to Hudl Techhnique? I saw your post but couldn’t figure how to upload; that would work great for me.
    Blake Yates
    Nautique Promo Rep, GA
  • LarsLars Posts: 163 Baller
    I too have a ski doc. It does shake some, but I just replaced the foam in it and its better now. the key is to have the lightest phone and mount possible. This is the mount I use with my Iphone 6s: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OS9E6AO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ski with a guy that has a wakeeye xt-1. I like it bettery, but ultimately if you get slack at the ball you're going to get shake with any mount that uses the rope to track.

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,611 Mega Baller
    The only real way to stabilize your video is with a gimbal, ideally a 4 axis model.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,900 Administrator
    OK people here is the explanation for a LOT of the shake.

Your new cell phone camera was not designed to deal with the high frequency shake of a boat. All the new phones have optical and or digital image stabilization. Any solid connection to a pylon is going to transmit shake to the camera and the software is going to be overwhelmed and deliver TERRIBLE video.

The easy fix is an older phone. I use a Samsung S6 with Ski-Doc and it works great. If I use my newer Google Pixel 2 XL the video is unwatchable.

The problem is not with Ski-Doc or with Wakeye. Both of those hardware mounts work great. The problem is with the new phones.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

MISkierjercraneBobF
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 291 Crazy Baller
    Exactly!
    After getting too much jittering with my current iPhone, I just use a retired 5c as a dedicated in-boat-camera-mount phone with the SkiDoc. Works perfect.
  • jercranejercrane Posts: 287 Crazy Baller
    It actually has nothing to do with software in the iPhone. The newer iPhones have a physical lens isolation device that is designed to take out low frequency vibration and motion ... like your shaky hands and your heartbeat. The lens essentially sits in fluid. Kinda sorta. It sucks at high frequency vibration though. There is no way to remove this via software etc. This is only on the front facing camera however. So flip to selfie mode and generally you are good. Add isolation to the mount and use selfie mode and you are even better.

Or get a GoPro hero 7 and don’t worry about any of this crap because it’s rock solid high frequency damping is best in class.
    dvskier
    edited August 5
    Old phones FTW. That's why I mentioned the HTC M8 above. I have no additional vibration dampening stuff on my Orbit and the video with my HTC is perfectly smooth.

On camera mounts, I've found that the ones that screw clamp hold the phone a bit too tight and can transmit more vibration. I've found that the ones like @Lars posted would result in my phone hitting the floor or getting turned in the mount if the skier would fall or pop the handle.

This is the kind I've found works best. It grips tight enough to not drop your phone on the floor (or on the sundeck if using a v-drive) but doesn't transmit as much vibration as a clamp that screws down to hold the phone.

Mount
    PSMBobF
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,900 Administrator
    @jercrane a GoPro or a front facing camera is far inferior to an old phone where you can zoom in and actually get the skier to fill a third of the frame

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes