Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HO free ride for wife?

moskimoski Posts: 101 Baller
Anyone been on one of these? I’m considering getting my wife a 65” HO free ride. Currently she skis on a a 64” combo ski (slalom).
Looks like this HO free ride might be a bit easier and it talks about less drag versus combo skis, easier to slalom ski with, etc.....
I pull her around 26-28mph and just open water skiing......

Thank you in advance for info,
Moski

Comments

• escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 720 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Here is a recent thread I started.

https://ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/21965/my-son-got-up-on-1-ski

I'm convinced right now that the Freeride is THE best ski for people to learn on. I think I'm also somewhat convinced that folks might fairly quickly graduate from it if/as they start skiing more aggressively, which may or may not apply to your wife. She may be perfectly happy forever with exactly the level of skiing that the freeride was made for.
  • GarnGarn Posts: 495 Crazy Baller
    The Freeride would be a big improvement over a combo ski. And you are 100% right that it is less drag. It literally pops you out water. I have one that I ski on when I'm not chasing buoys and I just want to screw around and have fun, or if there is a buttload of people in the boat. Its is a fun ski. Another one that you might want to consider since you are pulling her at 26-28 is the EVO. It has all the same features that the Freeride has that creates less drag (clean edge, speed skin, etc) but designed to be able to ski at a bit higher speed. It is a softer and thinner ski which will makes for smooth turns. I have never skied one but I would think it will also allow for a bit more aggressive skiing then the Freeride. And its not that much more money.
    savaiusini
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 621 Crazy Baller
    I got my dad a Freeride and it's been a great ski for him. Deep water starts are easy, it glides on the water like nothing I've felt before, and is super fun to carve on. My dad is simply loving his, he can free ski easily twice as long and multiple times a day, instead of once or maybe twice. I took it for a couple spins and it was a blast. I can't recommend it enough for slower speed free skiing.
  • moskimoski Posts: 101 Baller
    edited August 9
    Damn. Thank u guys. Solid feedback as always from each this group. Thank u guys for advice on this.

@Garn - thank u for the details. I’ll look over the evo. i don’t see her getting more aggressive and seems like she is fine at her speed.

I’ll chat with her to see which ski to go with. She will probably say dont spend the money 🙄 on a ski for her but if it’s easier for her level to ski then all the better.
    If the free ride will allow smooth turns and less drag then maybe it’s the one for her.
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 720 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Getting a freeride as a replacement for a combo is a total no-brainer. The next step up might be a tougher decision but you can cross that bridge when you come to it. If you get there, though, you should still be able to sell the freeride for a decent price if she ever decides to move up.
    moski
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 621 Crazy Baller
    My dad didn't want me to spend the money either. I just did it and he is so happy now that the money hasn't been brought up since his first time out.
    escmanaze
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,962 Mega Baller
    Freeride would be good so would the Radar Katana or Butterknife. Both would be easy to get up on and fun to ski on.
    Mark Shaffer
    Thanks guys. Think I’ll go with the HO freeride.
    Thank you for advice and sharing your experiences with the ski.
    @Garn and @escmanaze — although if the HO free ride allows her to ski longer, smoother turns etc..... then maybe just maybe she will get more aggressive and then we dial it up a notch 😁. Lol. Thank u guys.
    escmanaze
  • GarnGarn Posts: 495 Crazy Baller
    Glad to help @moski!
    moski