Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay with Lyric or try a Senate?

quinnequinne Posts: 48 Baller
Bought myself a Lyric in '16... My sister loved it so much she asked to pay me half and share it. No problem we can't use it at the same time anyway. Now my other sister is using it too. We're heading to ski school in the spring so logic would say we each need our own ski. Can ya'll share thoughts on buying a new Lyric or going to a Senate?... Or something else? I do not have the ability to demo where we live.

I free ski every weekend. 15 off @ 30 mph. Skied a course last weekend for the first time in two years (third time in all of my 44 years) and had no problem "touching" each of the bouys so I'm hoping day one at Coble's I'll be getting around them!

I weigh 130lbs and am 5'11". I don't have a video to post but can try to get one next time we're out.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Tagged:

Comments

• BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 684 Crazy Baller
    My wife loved her Lyric until she got a Vapor. Her words, not mine, “it’s so much easier to get around the buoys.” I don’t think you will regret the upgrade and your sisters can fight over your Lyric,
    quinne
  • ISP6ballISP6ball Posts: 175 Baller
    edited August 13
    I would recommend going with a Senate. If you're going to a ski school, having an adjustable fin allows them to fine tune your ski along with your form.

***Actually, after I typed that I thought I remember the new Lyric Graphite having an adjustable fin*** Maybe somebody else can confirm?

Great looking boat by the way!
    quinne
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 664 Crazy Baller
    Senate
    quinne
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 949 Mega Baller
    Upgrade ASAP. Used options that are also great would be a '14+ Lithium Vapor. My wife still loves her '15 Lithium Vapor, she immediately improved and started running passes on that ski after messing around with the lower line of skis.
    quinne
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,147 Mega Baller
    I believe the Lyric may have a softer flex pattern than the Senates, so you might want to consider that. I second the position of going to a Vapor, as your height and weight wouldn't indicate difficulty getting up on a standard width ski, and they do perform better in the course as you progress.
    quinne
  • quinnequinne Posts: 48 Baller
    Thanks all...

Reading other threads on the differences in Senate and Vapor it sounds like Vapor is a step up in intensity than the Senate and maybe the Senate turns easier? What is the difference in the two?

Also keep in mind, I spend 99% of my time free-skiing. Other than going to ski camp in the spring and occasionally having access to a temp course I'm not on one. Also, sometimes deal with less than perfect water due to the wave runners that come around and ruin the 7AM glass we got up out of bed to find.
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 851 Crazy Baller
    The Senate is definitely a step up for you, and many people go well into the course with it. That seems like a good fit for you at the moment. A guy I ski with just went to a senate and he's working on 32off. If you get more course work in and advance further into the course, maybe in a couple years you take another step up to the Vapor (at that point your sisters can fight over your senate.) Thats of course if you stay in the Radar line, which you cant really go wrong with.

New boat....need a new ski.
    quinnevtmecheng
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,289 Mega Baller
    It really depends on which level Senate you get. The Alloy Senate and Lyric will be very close to the exact same ski*. The Graphite, Lithium, and Pro Build are all steps up in terms of materials. The main differences are core material enhancing flex and rebound characteristics.
    *as long as the ski shape is the same. The Senate and Lyric shape changes about every 2 years.
  • vernonreevevernonreeve Posts: 94 Baller
    My 2017 Senate Graphite was a huge improvement over the 2015 Senate Alloy. Lighter, more responsive, more stable, easier to deep water start on. And I started running 32mph consistently and 34mph on my first try for the first time ever last summer. After that I couldn't run 34mph again, but at least I know I can do it if the stars all line up:) Wish we had a longer season here in Montana. Sucks to start over every spring. But I'd also hate to give up snow skiing.
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 720 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited August 13
    I must be missing something here. Can somebody explain why they would recommend, for example, a senate graphite instead of a lyric graphite TO A WOMAN? The lyric was made for women and the OP is a woman. If she's looking for graphite level ski - why senate instead of Lyric? lithium or pro-build; ok, those aren't available in the lyric so that's obvious. To me, @quinne seems like an absolutely prototypical perfect candidate for a lyric, either graphite or alloy. That opinion seems to be in the deep minority here. I would love to understand better the perspective.

@brooks Am I missing something here? I'm honestly seeking to understand - not to argue.
    quinne
    @escmanaze you read my mind as I was typing... Doing a little more reading on BOS it sounds like the Lyric and the Senate are the same ski, with the Lyric being lighter for smaller weight women. Also, until recently, I guess the Lyric didn't have the option of Graphite. What is the advantage of Graphite in open water (sometimes a little choppy from wind or other boats)? And, I weigh 130 lbs and am pretty tall so how does that factor in? My current Lyric is really light, if the Graphite Lyric is even lighter how does that fair in variable lake conditions?
    escmanaze
  • Chris RossiChris Rossi Posts: 286 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @quinne you can’t go wrong with either option of Lyric. After reading your posts, I would suggest a 2019 or 2020 Lyric Graphite. This is an awesome ski that is as comfortable free skiing as it is in the course. The addition of higher quality materials and an adjustable fin box are nice options.
    escmanazequinnevtmecheng
    Thanks @Chris Rossi and everyone else who has shared advice. This community is so helpful! I'll start looking for a graphite lyric.
    escmanazeISP6ballallycat
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 268 Baller
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,289 Mega Baller
    @escmanaze I totally agree. That’s why I was explaining the Build difference. Like you and @Chris Rossi said, the graphite Lyric seems perfect
    escmanazequinne
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 615 Crazy Baller
    They Lyrics seem get better every year. I have seen @Shell make great progress on a '15 then a '17 model. They are essentially a Senate with a women's flex. If you are free skiing only I believe you would be very happy with an '18 or '19 model that you can find at very good prices. IF you think you might start hitting a course you could consider the full graphite model.
    quinne
    edited August 15
    Great insight @RAWSki. I would love to find a '19 model for a good price. I'm on the fence between the Lyric and Lyric Graphite. Wakehouse has a good comparison write-up that makes me think I should stick with the standard Lyric.

https://www.wakehouse.com/blog/comparison-2019-radar-lyric-vs-lyric-graphite/

"The standard lyric is built with a wood stringer down the center, allowing the ski to be softer around the buoys and a little more forgiving across the wakes."

I'm concerned the graphite will feel less stable for me across the wakes. However, @Chris Rossi read my posts and suggested the Graphite. So tough to know without being able to demo. I can also call Coble's and see if they carry Radar so I could demo when we head out to ski school in the spring.

*and in my original post I said I bought my current Lyric in '16 but it was actually '17, so not too long ago. We've skied it for two seasons.
  • ShellShell Posts: 215 Crazy Baller
    @quinne you should definitely get the graphite, I had have 3 Radar's, 2 being Lyrics and currently skiing on a Vapor, loved all of them, but extremely love the Radar vapor pro build, excellent ski to progress in the course! I have skied my best ever this year on the Vapor!
    quinne