Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Further review of Nate Smith gates at Worlds...

ricorico Posts: 250 Crazy Baller
So I was watching the webcast of Men slalom and was surprised to see how closed Nate looked from missing his gate at 39 to being comfortably inside on the appeal.
I took a few screenshots and can't help thinking the gate review video shown on the webcast was not 39 but 35.

I know the camera angle and height can be confusing but it just doesn't look like the same pass...

I am adding a few screenshots. What do you guys think?

Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - Denali C-75 - Reflex

Comments

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,187 Mega Baller
    Look at the amount of rope and knots extending past the shock tube. Clearly the review was the 35 off pass.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • ricorico Posts: 250 Crazy Baller
    Obviously my comments are only based on the webcast rather than the screen judges used to make their call
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,770 Administrator
    edited August 2019
    Here is what I think happened.

Nate did make his gate at 39.

The red graphics on the bottom of his ski looks like a ball when blurred by the video. So it looks like he missed it in some freeze frames.

The webcast crew then goofed and showed replay of Nates 35. This immediately sent off alarms that there was some funny business going on. After review it seems that there was no funny business but only a honest mistake by the webcast crew.

There is no scandal but the skiing world is paying attention. That is a good thing.

Good catch @rico
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Obrienslalom
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,138 Mega Baller
    Graphic thing is pretty interesting - would wonder if there is a color that is "optimal" for video analysis purposes.

Like what if all skis had to have a reference color stripe. Kinda fun to think about.
    ricowilecoyotedbaconaz
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,698 Mega Baller
    edited August 2019
    The strands being used in the new Masterline rope only come in white, so I’m told.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Andre
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,138 Mega Baller
    @Drago not sure he has one. More of a social commentary on the sport.

I still think it would be interesting to take accelerometer readings on boats. A 220 hp powerslot 87 with a good skier, a 90s nautique 196 with perfect pass and 300 and a modern boat with ZO and see what the data says
    andjules6ballsQuinn
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 219 Solid Baller
    I would agree that the Optimized rope takes away spectastor enjoyment of even watching your neoghbor train. Put Masterline to the challange of adding the color back
    Texas6
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,327 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Put an expensive, computer-deployed, colored flag on all new boats commensurate with rope length and up-charge for it. Who needs colored ropes?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Texas6Steven_Haines
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,377 Mega Baller
    @6balls can’t you tell from the wake on the Nautique? It’s already got a computer-deployed wake enhancement device based on line length. Maybe we just need some color matched LED transom lights and run slalom at night.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    lpskierForrestGumpLarsSteven_Haines
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,698 Mega Baller
    I’m all in for transom lights, @klindy.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 784 Crazy Baller
    The colored ropes wouldn’t do much good at short line with the shock tube covering the rope coming off the pylon.
    Jody_SealjayskiHortonballsohard
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 219 Solid Baller
    Maybe the boats could dump colored dye comersitive of the rope length in the wake water.
    ballsohardSteven_Haines
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller

SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    Texas6HortonballsohardSteven_Haines
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 427 Crazy Baller
    @EVERYONE Guys and Gals the Masterline Optimizes ropes are color coded. There are strands in the braid that are colored to the line length.
    Hortonjayskiballsohard

TheBigHeadHockdogballsohardSteven_Haines
    Led Light color stick display line length
    TheBigHeadSteven_Haines
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,347 Mega Baller
    I think we should discuss use of the word "comersitive". Is it a real word?, you ask. It is now.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    I'm not saying it should be mandatory but I have to admit, it made the whole tournament more interesting with people more engaged.
    I didn't expect that.
    klindy
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,377 Mega Baller
    @rico I think use of all flags went away when we eliminated the reride flags (red for mandatory and green for optional).
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    Horton
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 919 Crazy Baller
    I think we need a flag when Nate Smith misses his gates....(just trying to stay on topic....)
    klindyballsoharddrewski32Steven_Haines
    edited August 2019
    @jayski I see your point and do not disagree. If the judges are competent and doing their best I do not think folks at home should impact an event. Good judges should be allowed to do their job without interference.

On the other hand there have been times over the years where the officials ruled in one way but if they knew that the folks at home where double checking they might have ruled in another way. There was an incident a number of years ago at Moomba where Billy Susi was given a score that was clearly wrong - he got 1/2 a ball or a ball more then he was scored. It was the difference between making the finals or not. He appealed and was basically stonewalled. If that had happened today with a webcast that could be replayed and slowed down I do not know how the officials could explain it.

On the flip side lets say Billy really did not get around that ball. As it is the judges ruling is a legendary injustice. If we all had been able to double check we would know that the judges got it right.

ballsohard
  • auskierauskier Posts: 456 Baller
    @Horton To say that the score was 'clearly wrong' in regards to the situation for Billy at moomba, I would suggest is inaccurate. There was sufficient official evidence for the call to be made the way it was.
    Toby
    Skico
    @auskier 100% not how the events well were explained to me by a number of skiers who were there. Don't you wish you had a quality replay to prove your point.

Dragoslalom