Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Handle - Diameter/Width

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,095 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited August 2019 in News & Other Stuff
I have been using 1" x 12" for years, just because when I used to go to competitions, that is what you were given, there was no option to use your own handle at that time, obviously things have changed.
Is it just down to how it feels for you or is there some formula that would suggest a better fit for your hands, does a smaller/bigger handle allow you to grip too tight bending your arms a bit, generally I try to grip the handle with my fingers hooked, a bit like a rock climber this helps straighten those arms.
Apart from diameter, is a 13" better for people who have a bigger Chest or does 12" keep you more compact, or again down to personal preference.

If Only I Was Perfect

Comments

• h2onhkh2onhk Posts: 305 Crazy Baller
    I think most is personal preference. I mostly used 12" handles, then switched to a 13" because I thought I would like the wider grip.....not.... I have hard time finding my stack with the wider handle and I find myself creeping my hands closer together after several turns. Feels like I'm skiing with a wakeboard handle.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 403 Solid Baller
    Agree with @h2onhk . Really thought I liked the 13's for wider area and less risk of mis grab, but found the same thing surprisingly, that the 12' keeps my hands close together and improves positioning overall . I was shocked that this was the case but after skiing with a friend on a 12 after 99% running my 13's I was amazed. Yep - 12" makes a big difference for me.
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 688 Crazy Baller
    Handles are a personal preference. That is why there are about 6 different diameters and 2 lengths. There is no right or wrong. Everyone will have a opinion and or reason why a handle works for them. That reasoning may or may mot work for you and your ski comfort.
    Than_Boganballsohard
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,242 Mega Baller
    I like 12" if they have a good curved rubber end cap, and 13" if its a more traditional V-Bridle. 12" V-bridles pinch my fingers.

I have 3 handles I use depending on the boat, one is a 12" elliptical bend bar, one is a 12" V bridle that I hate and one is a 13" with rubber end caps. I have a 4th handle on its way which is a 12" with rubber end caps that I'm hoping will be the ticket, but I ski them all at some point of the summer because I don't love changing handles out.
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 456 Baller
    When they were available I bought 11” Custom Grip .888 handles with Clinchers
    Pretty good set up
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 962 Mega Baller
    Hand size, and glove thickness effect handle diameter. Many recommend the larger size, but my hands are relatively small, I usually use the 1.06". During summer with warmer water I use palm protectors which thickens my overall grill, then I go to a 1" handle.
  • DP70DP70 Posts: 4 New Baller
    A good rule of thumb, or finger as the case may be, for handle thickness is when the finger tips of your middle 2 fingers just brush your palm when gripping the handle. Any thicker & the grip will be only in the fingers and thinner than that requires additional muscle tension to control / grip the handle (grip will tire quicker).
    As has already been said - however you decide it simply needs to feel good for you.
    Rednucleus