Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In retrial, embattled ex-DEA agent Chad Scott quickly found guilty on 7 corruption counts

HortonHorton Posts: 28,332 Administrator
Here is a link to the news article.
https://www.nola.com/news/courts/article_f6685ea4-c8df-11e9-8656-e37e80d99019.html

Chad is the most revered boat driver in the modern era and a very accomplished skier. How guilty or innocent he is we can only guess but this is a loss for water skiing. My belief is that he made procedural errors but never put a penny in his pocket.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

ballsohardwalleyeThe_MSaupatking

Comments

• UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,245 Mega Baller
    I'm speechless, and incredibly bummed... :(
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,523 Mega Baller
    Dammit.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 423 Crazy Baller
    Dang Dang Double Dang
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 259 Solid Baller
    The white devil
    bbrannan
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,056 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited August 2019
    Not my place to make any Judgement at all, but if you have one football team that can break all the rules and one football team that has to adhere by the rules, who is going to win the game.

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

aupatking
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 880 Crazy Baller
    @Stevie Boy The side that breaks the rules are referred to as criminals.
    RazorRoss3slow
    @ScottScott exactly my point, some of them being extremely nasty people, who do not really have a place in our world, they get dealt with on the basis of what they have been caught doing, not on the horrendous crimes some of them have committed.
    I would think in this case , whether doing right or wrong Chad may have been going about his business with the best intentions, to serve the law abiding citizens in this world.
    In some other countries these criminals just dissappear never to be seen again.

WaterSkier12
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,349 Crazy Baller
    Surprisingly enough, I find myself with mixed feelings with regard to such dealings with criminals. As a believer in doing right with disdain for such scum as drug dealers, the same should hold true for me for law enforcement. I'm torn. Statistic prove that most criminals commit nearly 10 crimes (some would say much more) before being caught and convicted. Maybe a little bending of the rules in order to get a conviction of a know criminal is OK. Again, I'm torn.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Than_Bogancedarskier6
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,349 Crazy Baller
    @millerTime38, you're right of course. Perjury is a felony.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,391 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I’m not the judge and was not on the jury. I did not offer up a verdict. I’m just based in reality.
    Shut up and ski
    bajaMrs_MSOrlando76
    Do not get me wrong here, if you did wrong you have to take whats coming to you, but it seems the biggest crime in our soceities is getting caught, how often do you hear if only he or she had done it in a different way, then they would not of got caught.
    The world we live in today is so screwed up, from the Top to the Bottom.

WaterSkier12ReggieO
  • So_I_SkiSo_I_Ski Posts: 142 Baller
    I don't know anything about the man other than his involvement in water skiing but it wouldn't be the first time that someone in law enforcement was breaking the law that they were supposed to be upholding in order to further their own career as opposed to serving the public. There have been literally tens of thousands of cases of innocent people being convicted, jailed and in many cases executed simply because someone in law enforcement wanted a conviction. You only need to watch "Making of a Murderer" and "When They See Us" to appreciate the sickening lengths to which law enforcement will sometimes go in their over zealous drive to get a conviction.

Having said that, it is also worth noting the following. First, jurists are on average, citizens that also hold the viewpoint that bending the law to get the "bad guys" might sometimes be necessary. Second, they would be far more reluctant to find a law enforcement officer guilty than they would another citizen. Third, the evidence must have been quite compelling for them to unanimously agree to a guilty verdict. Fourth, they would certainly not be reliant solely upon the testimony of convicted felons considering that the defense would have spent a great deal of time trashing their character and their possible motives for testifying against Chad. Lastly, no other law enforcement body would see any benefit in going after one of their own and no prosecutor would want to make his reputation bringing charges, let alone a conviction of a law enforcement officer, particularly one with Chad's reputation and length of service.

None of this means that I believe he was guilty, I'm just saying there are a lot of factors to consider before proclaiming his innocence simply because he was a prominent member of the water skiing community. I sincerely hope if he is innocent his conviction is overturned upon appeal. I can't think of anything worse than being jailed if you were innocent.
    ballsohardwilecoyoteCentRazorRoss3
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,617 Mega Baller
    “Fourthly, all presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously, for the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer. And Sir Matthew Hale in particular lays down two rules most prudent and necessary to be observed: 1. Never to convict a man for stealing the goods of a person unknown, merely because he will give no account how he came by them, unless an actual felony be proved of such goods; and, 2. Never to convict any person of murder or manslaughter till at least the body be found dead; on account of two instances he mentions where persons were executed for the murder of others who were then alive but missing.” Blackstone, “Commentaries.”
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    JaredSmithCent
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 545 Crazy Baller
    @lpskier Did you ask Chad if he wanted you to assist his legal team? Curious as to how the jury returned a guilty verdict so quickly when he got a mistrial last year.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,617 Mega Baller
    @dvskier No, Dave, I didn’t. Should I have? Frankly, I thought Steve Garcia did an excellent job, the final result notwithstanding.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Cent
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 586 Solid Baller
    Crazy and twisted world, where good boys are labeled as "bad" and really bad ones rule.
    ZmanballsohardThe_MS
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,350 Mega Baller
    I have faith he’ll win his appeal.
This discussion has been closed.