Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ski size and Binding placement?

h2odawg79h2odawg79 Posts: 599 Baller
edited September 2010 in Skis Fins Bindings
<div>
<font size="2">These two questions pertain to ski size (length) and Binding set up for traditional slalom ski's (not wide rides) used by skiers skiing -32 and shorter @ 34-36 mph.</font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2">#1. I am curious as to how many skiers prefer a slightly shorter ski then the manufacturers wgt./size spec's? </font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2">#2. How many prefer their front binding set up to be slightly back or front of the factory's Neutral setting? </font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2">#3. Do these preferences tend to carry over from ski to ski?</font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2"></font>
</div>
<div>
<font size="2">Thanx!  

</font>
</div>

Comments

• h2odawg79h2odawg79 Posts: 599 Baller
    <p>
    So, does everyone here only run Factory suggested ski lengths?
    </p>
    <p>
    Front Bindings @ the factory Neutral?
    </p>
    <p>

</p>
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,548 Mega Baller
    <p>
    I'd say I lean a little toward shorter if I'm near the edge of the manufacturer's suggestion.  I'm a finesse (aka weak) skier and I don't want too much effort to turn or too much load in the pull.  I'm willing to give up the potential angle advantage of the larger ski.
    </p>
    <p>
    I've never had success moving bindings.  Fin adjustments have sometimes helped me, but whenever I've moved a binding it hasn't worked out.
    </p>
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • BdeckerBdecker Posts: 287 Solid Baller
    This may be a stupid question, but for those of us running hardshells the measurement of binding position seems a little ambigious.  The thickness of the shell/liner come in to play, etc.  Because you're not using factory holes, it seems there is a significant margin for error.  Do most measure from the back of the foot, liner, or shell? I went with back of the liner for mine as that would seem closest to "inside of the horseshoe" but it would be very easy to be off by 1/8" or more...
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,961 Infinite Pandas
    <p>
    I adjust binding placement a lot. Typically I'm back on a larger ski and forward on a smaller ski from the factory settings. If I'm out of the factory recommendations on ski size, I may adjust out of the factory holes range. Every ski is different and will likely take some tweaking.
    </p>
    <p>
    My default is around 29 inches from the tail to the back of my hardshell. But I'll move a lot from there. Frequently drilling new holes. Or trying the middle of the factory holes (on a factory ski). Follow this board - there is lots of good setup advice on particular skis.
    </p>
    <p>
    Eric
    </p>
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,046
    edited September 2010
    <p>
    I know when I went from rubber to hard shell i took a reference point between the two boots while they were both off of the ski and used that for my first set up on the ski.  Now, I just use the bubble part of the heel as a reference.  My tape measure end has enough of a stand off to sit flate on the plate and hit the heel part of the shell at the same time.  It makes it a real consistant and easy measurement.  I guess I could have also chose the edge of the boot plate as well.
    </p>
    <p>
    As far as binding placement, I am at stock on a 2010 D3 Z7 ST.  Now that the water has cooled off I will move it 1/4" forward of stock.   I won't mess with the fin.  I am not sure this translates from ski to ski of different brands; but, it seemed to be consistant with my adjustments to my previous D3 ski, an 07 Nomad RC.
    </p>
    Bob Grizzi
  • h2odawg79h2odawg79 Posts: 599 Baller
    <p>
    Skibug, as the water gets colder you move the Bindings fwd. from stock 1/4"?  i.e. from say; 29.75" to 30.00"?
    </p>
    <p>
    Thanx!
    </p>
    <p>
    Thanx for all the other post's as well. I'm working on some equip. and settings experiments/theories...
    </p>